Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received two keys when I bought my new to me 08 Burgman. But the second key was just a plain key with no plastic end with the magnetic lock. Thought I would just store the good key and use the plain key. Went well till I went to unlock the seat to access the trunk. Key wouldn't open the seat lock? Put both keys side by side and they are cut the same. Is this normal? Never had a spare key with my other 650 Burgman so never ran into this before.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
The 2 original factory keys both have the coded heads.
Plain-head keys are available as spares from various sources.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
The magnetic end is only for the shutter. It sounds like the key isn't exactly the same.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is strange is the key works the ignition just fine. But when I push in and turn to unlock the seat, nothing. Fits the gas cap fine. Kinda like a valet key for a car.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
You can try pushing down on the seat above the latch as you turn the key and see if works.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only difference I can see in the keys is the groove on the side of the plain key is longer than the key with the plastic end.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It may be the seat release mechanism rather than the key. Does the OEM key do the same?

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
144 Posts
Had the same problem after having a spare key made. The key will not go into the switch far enough release the seat. Grind off some of the shoulder of key and see if it will work.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Had the same problem after having a spare key made. The key will not go into the switch far enough release the seat. Grind off some of the shoulder of key and see if it will work.
And there you go. :)

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Yes file back body little bit then it work.

New burgie come with 2 black plastic key and tiny metal tag with numbers on tag to reproduce new key, should see if previous owner still have these.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yes file back body little bit then it work.

New burgie come with 2 black plastic key and tiny metal tag with numbers on tag to reproduce new key, should see if previous owner still have these.
The tag on the key ring is useless. You cannot get replacement keys, only blanks. It is necessary to buy a whole new ignition system, including the lock, to get "replacement" keys.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The tag on the key ring is useless. You cannot get replacement keys, only blanks. It is necessary to buy a whole new ignition system, including the lock, to get "replacement" keys.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Yep, I spoke with my local dealer. He told me that his machine to make the keys from the number code had worn out and when he inquired about buying a new one the cost was prohibitive so he didn't replace it. Also talked to both of our local locksmiths and they told me that they had never had that ability. So, at least here the numbers will do you no good.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
That's good to know. Thanks.

After I lost my key, I was told by my dealer that the number on the key tag indicated the configuration of the magnets and that Suzuki didn't sell individual keys, even with the information on the tag. It was all or nothing, for $350. I could order a blank, without the magnetic head, for $30. Nuts to that. I went to a locksmith, found a compatible blank and had duplicate keys cut for $5 apiece.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
There are two key blanks you can get a locksmiths and hardware stores that fit Burgmans.

ilco - SUZ18 x241 It is the most common and requires trimming of the head at the shaft to allow it to be pushed in and unlock the trunk.

ilco - SUX16 x276 Less common, does not require trimming of the head.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I ordered two keys from Hong Kong and did the codes with the magnets myself, total cost around $30.00 for everything, Keys, Shipping, and getting the blanks cut at a key shop. This doesn't answer your question I know, but extra keys for the security door are a problem, Check "Keys" under the Search button for how I did it.

John

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
UK and European members - just note that if you have SAIS (immobiliser) system fitted then you will still have an another issue. ;)

·
Registered
426 Posts
The SAIS security coded keys for the immobiliser have to be, not just cut or keyed alike, but also require chip copy, and the SAIC master/parent key is needed for this process although there is method whereby a slave/child key can be utilised, provided the key cutter/locksmith has the special electronic device to do so.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts