Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read technical specs for '03 and '05 and noticed that there was added over-drive gear in '05. Is that so? I had '03 Burgman 650 and never had a chance to ride '05, so does anybody know what's the difference in riding comfort with this added feature?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Yes ... the Overdrive is new for the 2005 Burgman 650. It provides a bit better gas mileage for touring or at higher speeds.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, billmeek. By any chance, do you know if they're going to sell Executive in the USA?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
According to all the info I've seen thus far, not in the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Maxim said:
By any chance, do you know if they're going to sell Executive in the USA?
No idea. It's been reported that Suzuki USA thinks there's too small a market to sell the Executive here. :? I wouldn't be surprised if they imported a small number (like they did in Canada this year) to 'test the waters' without any notice. Simular to the 'big announcement' they made for the 400 Type S ... which was none.

·
Registered
64 Posts
2005 Bergman AN 650 Overdrive

Hi,
Went riding with the motorcycle club this morning and thought I would try the Overdrive, had to go into manual mode and up shift one more shift to get Overdrive, I was doing around 60+ mph at the time and my RPM's dropped from 3500 to 3000 RPM. My take on the O/D is it works good on flat ground and did improve my MPG, got about 5 1/2 MPG better on this trip than the last trip we went on. Another thing i noticed was the breaking from the engine was not as great because of the transmission staying in overdrive when you slow the bike so you have to use your breaks a little sooner. I will be using the O/D now that I know that I can get an extra 5 mpg on the road and drop my RPM down a some ..........walterb

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Walter, I find the same thing applies to the OD.

It doesn't seem to kick in by itself, only in manual mode and upshift from fifth at 90KMs plus. Maybe at higher speeds...

On hills it seems to lack some oomph from the taller gearing effect.

But on long level high speed runs, yes it does lower the revs quite a bit, and improves the gas mileage.
I have only used it on one long trip so far, but it does stretch the gas tank a bit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I found that a switch to manual above 65mph does not drop the rpm, and the green O D light comes on, so the bike has put itself in O D at that speed. Below 60 mph a switch to manual produces a jump in rpm as it goes into 5th.

I'm just as happy to let the bike pick what gear it wants to use, cuz I'm averaging 55 mpg on trips that are mostly 65 mph plus. Most of the riding is the commute to work, and much of that is 65 +, depending on cages.

All speeds indicated. Checked it and found 7 to 8 mph error (reads high) at 60 mph and 6 mph high at 55 mph indicated.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
The difference, beside the OD, is that the 03/04 (putting aside the kickstand water "deflector" and the minor front end geometry deltas) have a nicer paint scheme (black beak,) and the 05 is, well, newer and all the same color evvvverywhere...

Besides that, they are pretty much the same. :D

Oh yeah some bearing issues with the earlier 03s (both wheel and drive train - maaaybe...)

Long live the black beak! :lol:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I don't know where you get "drive train" Pete. Some folks did have wheel bearing issues. I have over 17k on my '03 though and still have the original wheel bearings. Maybe you are referring to the clutch issue? Most of those were upgraded by Suzuki before the scoots were sold. That was within a specific serial number range, and the fix status can easily be verified.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I thought that a bearing or two within the gear drives of the drive train were shimmed or replaced to reduce the so called dieseling noise. Oh well - my bad. :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Pete said:
I thought that a bearing or two within the gear drives of the drive train were shimmed or replaced to reduce the so called dieseling noise. Oh well - my bad. :D
OK, that isn't a bearing. It is a small spacer sleeve for one of the drive gears that removes a bit of end play. Suzuki has always maintained that it is not a reliability issue. And as far as I know, that is true. The new spacer just keeps the gear from rattling as much when there is no load on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
changing my AN400 with AN650

I am using AN400 almost a year and I am quite happy about it, however the performance is not enough especially on the long drives. I am planning to change it with AN650 Executive but I have some questions. I have been told that 04 model of AN650s have some problems on the transmission which causes a noise. I have been also told Suzuki changed the transmission in 2005 and fixed this problem and new models comes with 6 gears instead of 5.

Is there anyone who tested both of them? There is a bike I am interested (2004 model and used only few kilometres) but I am wondering if I should pay more and buy a brand new AN650.

The differences I noticed between 2005 and 2004 models are, immobilizer, electric wind shield, white signals. Except this both of of the models (executive) comes with ABS and electric mirrors and engine is same but I do not know if the transmission is changed or not and I would like to know. Thanks for the information.
Murat

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Don't know what country you are from, but my exec has no immoblizer.
Might be different overseas.
(I would like one though)

So far I have heard no dieseling type of noises from my transmission area.
Very quiet.

·
Registered
484 Posts
What's an immobilizer? Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Immobilizer

Hi Rick, I live in Turkey and we have only Executive models here. There used to be exectuive and standard models before but now they sell only executive ones. They all have white signals and stop lamps, sissy bar, immobilizer and electric mirrors and windshield.

What I do not know and wonder is if there is any technical differences between 03 and 05 Burgman? Are the transmission same for both models?

Wilytek,
Immobilizer is a system to give more protection. The vehicle or bike with immobilizer comes with a special coded key and device on the bike. Without this coded key the engine can not be started.

Murat

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Murat - The 05 has an overdrive in manual mode 5th gear. The 03 and 04 don't. Other than that - I think the basic components are pretty much the same.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hii muratbeser - and welcome to the forum, I can see you have had answers to your questions. :hello2:

May I suggest you post in the 'Who are you where are you from section' then everyone will 'see' you and welcome you properly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts