Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rja41 said:
Dieseling sound at idle..... does dieseling sound give notice to a potential problem(K3/650)....approximately 75 percent are affected.... Suzuki Europe has repair kit but apparently not available to US market.... what the deal??
The "Diesel sound at idle" is present on all Burgman 650s due to the drivetrain design. It is overly loud on early 2003 models - the repair is designed to make it quieter, but doesn't eliminate it. I have had it done under warranty, as have others in the USA. You have to request it from the dealer, who has to get it authorized by Suzuki USA. The dealer also has to buy special tools from Suzuki to do the job. Again, unless you have an '03 model, it doesn't apply, because I believe the newer models are already fitted with the revised part. The sound does not indicate a mechanical problem according to Suzuki - even if you do not have the "fix" done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dieseling sound

Thanks for the reply but my dealer's service manager said he never heard anything about it and as a result I am past my warranty......Suzuki should do the right thing and put out a recall.... probably not.... its all about money..... Suzuki quality slipped quite a bit in my eyes

·
Registered
822 Posts
Re: Dieseling sound

Rja41 said:
Thanks for the reply but my dealer's service manager said he never heard anything about it and as a result I am past my warranty......Suzuki should do the right thing and put out a recall.... probably not.... its all about money..... Suzuki quality slipped quite a bit in my eyes
Recalls are usually done only if the defect presents a safety issue. My understanding is this is not a safety issue but rather an annoyance to some people. Personally, it doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Yeah, to get a reality check, spend some time on the f650.com website -- a site for BMW F650 bike owners. There you'll find gripes about many bikes that have a 'surging and stalling' problem. At certain rpm's the engine will surge/lurch forward, and at other times will stall out. BMW denies there's a problem, but they've redesigned the engine to have 2 spark plugs now (it's a 1-cyl thumper) to fix the non-existant problem. They'd laugh at Burger owners' complaints that the drivetrain makes a little clatter! I don't have a Burgman (yet) but in reading a ton of posts on this board, I'm amazed at the apparent quality of Burgmans.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The service manager at the dealership I go to had a service bulletin on it. Suzuki doesn't call it "diesel noise", they call it "idle knock" or something similar. Anyway, he located the service bulletin, called Suzuki and got the repair authorized, bought the special tools, and got the job done.

Suzuki almost never issues a recall. They do occasionally issue service bulletins. When I bring up an issue, the first thing the service manager does is grab his service bulletin book and looks for a bulletin.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
This reminds me of the conversation I had with Tim at the Suzuki dealer today. He brought up that they haven't gotten in any of the Burgman 650s yet. It reminded me that some may be interested in retrofitting the overdrive to the 2003-2004 models and I asked him about it. He went to check with his mechanic who had just returned from additional tech training that covered the 2005 650s. According to them, the changes cannot be retrofitted on the older models since part of transmission changes included a redesign to remove a clatter noise at idle. Take it with a grain of salt, but the 2005s may not have the famous Burgman dieseling noise anymore.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
billmeek said:
According to them, the changes cannot be retrofitted on the older models since part of transmission changes included a redesign to remove a clatter noise at idle. Take it with a grain of salt, but the 2005s may not have the famous Burgman dieseling noise anymore.
Well then. I don't want one! It just wouldn't seem right with out that chatter at idle. :p

Just kidding folks... This is obviously something else we need verify as the '05s hit the road.

·
Registered
58 Posts
noise problem

HI ALL In my area - with a 2003 BURG I solved the problem with idle noise. I to went to the dealer and they said the fix may be better but could come back louder so I did not do the " fix ". So when I ride I don't go below 5mph and never stop. simple

·
Registered
639 Posts
billmeek said:
Take it with a grain of salt, but the 2005s may not have the famous Burgman dieseling noise anymore.
When I was at my dealer last week, I asked him to start up one of the new 2005 650's. Not a hint of clatter. The engine was very quiet compared to my '03, so Suzuki has obviously solved the problem. 8)

·
Registered
822 Posts
vfdcaptain said:
When I was at my dealer last week, I asked him to start up one of the new 2005 650's. Not a hint of clatter. The engine was very quiet compared to my '03, so Suzuki has obviously solved the problem. 8)
I don't know that I'd want my engine quieter than it already is. Actually, just a tad louder would be nice.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
I think we'll have to wait and see. None of the earlier models made the dieseling noise until they had some miles on them.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually I think mine did Bill, but it seemed to get a bit louder after 1000 miles or so. Now, if they would just add self cancelling turn signals! I forgot to shut mine off twice today. :? Another year or two and there will probably be enough improvements to entice me to trade.

·
Registered
611 Posts
My 2003 650 is serial number 335, which is under the affected range. I wonder if mine has the same part as the retrofit? Did they maybe switch to something and go back to what the original was?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dieseling Noise

My 2004 Burgman 650 Exec has it.
The noise was not apparent when 'new', but it duly arrived at 600 miles. It became louder up to 800 miles - and has been the same since [current mileage 6500].
Irish dealership says 'no repair kit available' - just live with it!

·
Registered
240 Posts
chuck807 said:
I don't know that I'd want my engine quieter than it already is. Actually, just a tad louder would be nice.
Engine quiet, ok; exhaust louder, better!

·
Registered
728 Posts
...and speaking of mufflers,
I wonder if the same "muffler mod" that is done on the intruders could be done on the burgmans. The mod is, to drill out 3-4 holes in the end of the muffler. Either go through just one baffle, or go through two, BUT NOT through the third one. I did this on my 1400 intruder, and it usre made a nice sound. Deep, Throaty, but not super abnoxiously loud. It made it sound something like a stock Harley, the ones with that nice deep sound.
BTW, the hole size that is recommended for the intruder is 1/2 " for the outer baffle, then 3/8" for the inner baffle, if you decide to go through the second one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts