Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bring up this old chestnut yet again but having had the Burger for a few weeks now I find that it's the only thing about it that jars with me - in fact the irritation factor is out of all proportion to the problem itself, if indeed it is a problem.

I duly mentioned it to the Suzuki dealer when I took it in for its first service and mentioned all the airings of the phenomenon that have appeared on this site but he claimed to be totally unaware of it (and/or the Suzuki 'fix') and, frankly, didn't show much interest. Don't really know what I'll do now - just try to ignore it, I suppose.

Does anyone know (lycheed, perhaps) if the dieseling is the same 'excess noise' problem that Suzuki dealt with in its home market by replacing the straight-cut transmission gear train with helical gears that duly quietened the bike but also sapped a few horsepower from the rear wheel (in which case, no thanks!)?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
AFAIK, it's not true dieseling (preignition) but geartrain noise that sounds like what diesel cars and trucks sound like. At higher torque the gears are firmly engaging with each other, and thus quiet, but at lower load there is some backlash that causes the annoying rattle.

Once I get some more miles on mine I may experiment with heavier gear oil, or see about getting different gears if Suzuki should offer them in the US at some point in the future.

Right now I just accept it as part of the "package."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts