Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone brought their 650 scooter back to get the "diesel" sound fixed? I know they are getting it done in Europe. I haven't been able to ascertain from the Yahoo groups board if they are fixing the problem here in the States.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Ive only got 140 miles on my burg. What exactly is the Diesel noise you are hearing?
-Bryan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the engine is idleing, off the centerstand, my Burgman is noisy. It sounds like a diesel engine. The noise goes away after you start riding. The problem is with a gear in the transmission. Suzuki has a replacement gear and bearing. They will do the retro fit in Europe but only if you ask. The problem does not affect reliability. Once fixed the scooter idles like a dream. Right now with about 200 miles on my Burgman it sounds like a diesel engine at idle. I'm not sure if I like it or not. The diesel sound ups the manly coefficient when owning a "scooter". :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
idle rattle sounds

I've had mine for 3 months and it's always made that sound.

Less than a year from now, I expect to need new $411 CVT belt and will try to have belt labor waived whilst they change that pesky gear that rattles, all done on warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have talked to the service manager at my dealer several times, and Suzuki North America will not do any thing about it even though the European dealers are getting the fix handled.

·
Registered
793 Posts
diesel rattle

Europe Suzuki also offers 2 year warranty.

I've read that American owners have had a free fix for this rattle.
If they'd show us their case numbers or service dates and dealers, that'd help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Noise and CVT belt

:shock: The noise in the rear end that mimics a Cummins Turbo Diesel at idle, is being discussed worldwide at this time and Suzuki will soon realize their problem is not an isolated one. They will be forced by owners to remedy the problem and if not they should face a class action lawsuit.

I have wondered if going to a higher weight GL5 lube would affect the sound? This would be very easy to do, take less than a half hours effort and maybe it would work. Higher weights are available up to about 150W or so.

As far as replacing the CVT belt goes, there is no predetermined service time or limit on the belts life. The word on the WWW is that the belt should last for the useful life of the scooter. By the way, the belt is no where near the final drive gears that are supposedly causing the noise trouble. :lol: Take care, Sam

·
Registered
742 Posts
Dealers not repairing noise in transmission / final drive

You may find that some dealers could be carrying there own warranty
Some times (in australia) dealers will get extra discount on there vehicles and carry the warranty themselves.
This maybe why some dealers are fixing and some will not.

Painfull A !

Anyway just my theory

Greg............

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Diesel Noise

I Have read about , a recall for a small gear in the clutch too sloopy on some machines, free fix at the dealer, fairly simple. have noticed some noise on mine, but not too bad, I have heard worse.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After having the bike for a month I don't even care anymore. Its just part of the personality of the machine. Something that will be remembered fondly 20 years from now. The real reason I won't get it fixed is because I don't want some 18 year old kid with 1/10 my mechanical ability putting his paws on my bike. If people on the boards start fixing it themselves I might give it a try. The main thing is that Suzuki says it does not affect reliability. That was my number one concern when I "heard" about the problem.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I agree with jas340. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And I'm getting used to the sound too after riding the machine for a couple of weeks. If there is any other traffic noise around, I don't even notice it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i have tried everything i called suzuki america they never reard or had any complaint when i talk to them...as for the europe theory i called suzuki england and they said they never heard about the noise either...are they just not wanting to hear it or are we getting wrong info?...i hate that noise and wish it could be fixed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Chirping noise.

I think the Chiping noise you hear is the CVT setting itself on startup.Either the servo motor or the computer setting this up. You also hear it if you shift to manual at a standstill.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Covert said:
I have the same noise. Mine's loud enough to make me wonder (I'm a bike mechanic and I usually give a lot of leeway wih noises- I'm most often the one who says, "just ride the dang thing and if it breaks THEN fix it" but this is so...loose sounding and feels so "wrong" that I may investigate further. I also get this odd noise after startup: I turn the key, wait for the throttle valves to zero and the fuel system to pressurize (you can hear it) then hit the starter. Once it's running, in about 2 seconds it makes a noise that I would say was a 'chirp' but played at a slower speed- the frequency is lower, you know? Sounds like a noise that some contented but oddball family pet would make, like if someone had a wombat sleeping on their lap.
Mine gets the 'chirping' sound and I noticed that it only happens after I start the bike if it is on the center stand... I never hear it if I start it on the side stand.

I discovered that the 'chirping' sound was the rear wheel spinning while the bike is standing on the center stand ...

·
Registered
33 Posts
re the Diesel noise

Hi there,

Bob asked me in an eMail about this noise, here is my reply to him maybe it is of help to you.

"Hello Bob,
yes I have also had this problem - in fact there is no one that I don't know over here (reflected in our own Burgman Forum http://www.an650.de) that hasn't had this problem.

The noise comes from one of the gears in the drive chain - you know where the 5 gears run horizontaly to the rear wheel. The first of these gears develops too much play (tolerance) and at idle revs causes a dull clicking sound. When the revs come up and the load on all of these 5 gears sets the rear wheel in motion the noise disappears. Apart from being annoying there are no dangers involved.

Well I took a print out of all the other guys experinces from our Forum to my dealer. Since I had the only Burgman he had sold - he compared my machine to a new one on the show room floor to form a reference. Mine was noisy the new one wasn't. He then sent a fax to Suzuki Germany requesting a special gear extrating tool and the replacement gear.
I arranged to have the repair done at the time of my 6000 km inspection.
This was to meet him half way since at the inspection all the plastic tunnel cowlings etc would be removed anyway.

When the inspection date came and was carried out I watched the proceedings. They removed the aluminium (cast) casing which houses these 5 gears, using this special tool extracted the main gear which came off easily and repalced it with the new gear (was very difficult to get on). This went to proove that this initial gear was under tolerance from the word go and within the first 1000km it started this clicking sound as we all know it.
The whole job took about 15 minutes to do - old gear off, new gear on. This was all done under waranty.

After that the noise was gone - however only some of the guys in our Forum report that the noise comes back at about 12000km - I haven't had this problem yet but makes me think that maybe the material used to manufacture this gear (cog) is not up to scratch. Maybe the first generation of these gears was like this and subsequent series are better.

Well that is all that I can tell you about this problem.

Take care and stay upright.

Bevan"

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
gear replacement

Bevan, thanks for the info.

Any way to get the part #'s of the gear and tool required. My German sucks, anyway to translate that site to English. I really think the dealers in the US either don't know or Suzuki isn't telling them of this problem. Maybe by providing our dealers with either the work order # of your machine they would have a reference for Suzuki USA. Or by getting the part #'s we could do it ourselves.

Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good morning Covert & Jim,

thinking back on the situation at that time - when my dealer ordered the part plus special extractor tool - this extractor tool was sent to him from Suzuki-Germany on loan, he had to return this after it was used. Which means the HQ had several of these tools to be able to send them around the country to keep the customers satisfied.

The Suzuki HQ here knew about the problem and made no fuss about it, no excuses, lies or creative stories. All my dealer really wanted to know was what I was talking about with a run in machine as opposed to a new machine, since this problem at that point was new to him. Hence his listening to my machine and then comparing the noise level to a new one.

Perhaps you should ask your dealer to contact Suzuki HQ in the States quoting how the situation was taken care of over here after all you have waranty on the Burgman and you paid good money for a "not cheap" piece of equipment. Request that Suzuki USA contacts Suzuki Germany about this issue - maybe that will help.

Well for all of you who have to be in the salt mines this week - have a great week and for the rest of us "enjoy it as well".

1 - 20 of 28 Posts