Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Select what applies to you

• My Burgman exhibits the Diesel sound. I just live with it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Burgman exhibited the Diesel sound. I have had it fixed.

• My Burgman does not exhibit the Diesel sound.

• What is a Burgman?

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Well mine doesn't have the sound yet, but Ive only got 1200 kms on it. At what mileage mark does it normally appear?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
allwalk said:
Well mine doesn't have the sound yet, but Ive only got 1200 kms on it. At what mileage mark does it normally appear?
Mine made itself known within the first 50 miles...

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
The day I test rode my 650 the noise was present for new ( 0klms ) to when it was stolen ( 1800klms app. )

Greg ...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the 2004 - 650 with 1,000 miles and no dieseling noise.

Here are the polls from the Burgman site:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Suzuki_Burgman/

"Does your 2004 - 650 have the dieseling noise?"
================================
Choices Votes % 13 replies
yes 2 15.38%
No 11 84.62%

"Does your 2003 - 650 have the dieseling noise?"
================================
Choices Votes % 40 replies
Yes 26 65.00%
No 14 35.00%

Also, the file, "Burgman References.HTML," located in the FILES section at the above site contains an extensive amount of information about the dieseling noise, and what causes it, and what is replaced to fix it.

Fred

·
Registered
10 Posts
30 minute fix cures the noisy tick over, under warranty too!

My brand new '04 Model Burgman with 200 miles started to sound like a tractor on tick-over. The noise doesn't start to appear until the machine has covered at least 100 miles+. Replacing the CVT input pully gear (as shown by our French owner elsewhere on this site), removes all the noise and you are left with the machine as quiet as when you first bought it. The repair will be done under warranty by your supplying Suzuki dealer and took our mechanic less than .5 of an hour to complete. A special tool is required to remove the faulty metal gear that requires replacement. If you have exceeded this mileage and your machine is still quite on tick-over (it's very obvious if you have a faulty gear fitted as the noise is awful), then you probably won't need the fix. If however its trying to imitate a diesel engine, then book it into your dealer to have it changed. It really is a very simple job. The detailed diagrams shown by our French correspondent make the job look very difficult as it shows the whole drive assembly being removed. This is not the case, a simple cover on the left hand side of the drive needs to be removed and one gear replaced.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Diesel sound repair

My Burgman 650 has made the diesel sound at idle since day one. I now have about 3800 miles on it. I took it in to the dealer two days ago and left it there to have the issue addressed. The weather is still pretty cold and wet here, so leaving it at the dealer for a week or so is no big deal right now.

I checked on it today. They have talked to Suzuki and the repair has been authorized - the parts and tools have been ordered. The dealership bought $400 worth of special tools for the job. I told them that I'd heard that Suzuki would lend the tools, but the service manager said that he'll probably have to do the same job on a few more machines, so he didn't want to be waiting in line for lender tools. He said that Suzuki also went over the instructions for doing the repair with them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
thanks Scutour your the first person to come out and say u have the noise on the 04 model....i just left a reply in the diesel noise section explaining that i have found the source myself by listening as i have discovered the rattle to actually be the result in the design of the clutch itself after i took out the clutch and "played with it" a little. while the bike is cold start it up and put your ear to the clutch cover on the left side if u were sitting on the bike. its the big round cover just under the front part of the seat and u will hear that while idling the clutch will be rattling pretty loudly as your ear is right up against it....however there really was a problem with the primary pulley shaft adapter as explained by others which i can also in detail tell you how to locate it without taking the cvt out of the bike. after the shaft adapter is fixed the burger will be quieter but not completely silent as if it was a luxury car although i must admit its much quieter than most bikes.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
megascooterclubcatalunya said:
My Burgman 650 empezó a hacer el dieseling a partir de los 12.000 kms. Pero no pienso llevarla a reparar. La verdad es que no me preocupa mucho.
Ahora llevo casi 20.000 kilómetros y estoy muy contento con ella.

Saludos,
Alfred (Spain)
Translation :

"My Burgman 650 began its dieseling sound at about 12,000km, but I don't plan on having it fixed. The truth is that it doesn't bother me much. Now I have almost 20,000km and I am very happy with her."

Greetings:
Alfred (Spain)"

--- Thanks for the info and pictures Alfred! :D

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
seatec said:
Does the 2004 650 have the diesel sound, or is it fixed :?:
I've seen at least one '04 650 with only a few hundred miles and it does have the dieseling noise that sounds exactly like my '03.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
migz123 said:
seatec said:
Does the 2004 650 have the diesel sound, or is it fixed :?:
I've seen at least one '04 650 with only a few hundred miles and it does have the dieseling noise that sounds exactly like my '03.
I recently had the dieseling sound "fix" done to my '03. It still makes the noise, but not as loud as before. I don't think we can get away from it entirely.

When Suzuki authorized the fix, they told my dealership that there would still be some noise. Also, my Burgman was in the shop for over three weeks. Most of that time was due to waiting for a special tool to arrive - even though my dealer agreed to purchase the tool (not borrow it). Oh well. At least I got to spend a little quality time with my V-Strom.

·
Registered
308 Posts
bottom line

Even if the Burgy makes the dreaded noise, and you dont have it fixed, is it a problem in the long term?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: bottom line

abm said:
Even if the Burgy makes the dreaded noise, and you dont have it fixed, is it a problem in the long term?
-- I know of no one that has reported any other mechanical problems related to the dieseling noise, except just the noise...

-------------

pauljo - thanks for the info on the fix. I will need that info in setting up a schedule to have my bike done. Although I have gotten used to it already, and it's reall not all that bad, I would prefer the bike without it. At least now I know that I will have to make sure that they have the tool ready before I drop the bike off for the fix. --- Thanks...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Mine's had the diesel sound since mile one. I not only live with it, I kind of like it. :wink: It now has over 1200 miles and doesn't seem to be any louder than that first day.

It's an '04 too, by the way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts