Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
lifegetter said:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Suzuki_Burgman/message/12236
claims that there is a factory recall in Europe to fix the diesel sound. Will the US be next?
Grrrr... yet another link that requires you to sign in to just view it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
I can't get to the message - I'm not a member of that Yahoo group (and from past experience, I don't want to be...) Maybe you could copy the text and post it here? If it says "recall", I don't buy it though.

There is a big difference between a "recall" and responding to a customer request to fix something under warranty. A lot of people have been using the term "recall" loosely - and incorrectly. A recall is when they notify customers to bring their machines in to have something fixed. Not going to happen, because this isn't a safety or reliability issue - it's just a peculiar noise at idle that some people don't like.

In Europe they provide a "fix" if the customer goes to the dealer and requests it. In the USA, they'll do the same thing. I know - I had it done. It was covered under warranty. But its not a recall. If you want it done, you have to go to your dealer and request it, then they have to call Suzuki USA to get authorization and order the part. They will also have to purchase or borrow a special tool in order to do the job. I think my dealer said it cost him $70.

Here's the thing. The "fix" doesn't last. They replace one small part. The machine is quieter at idle for a week or two - and then the noise comes back. It might not be quite as loud as before, but it's pretty close. In my opinion, it's not worth having this done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
pauljo said:
...

Here's the thing. The "fix" doesn't last. They replace one small part. The machine is quieter at idle for a week or two - and then the noise comes back. It might not be quite as loud as before, but it's pretty close. In my opinion, it's not worth having this done.
Hi
exact Paul...
after only 2000/3000 kilometers. (1300/1800 thousand).

Diesel noise, new episode
- January 2004, 22000 kilometers of change of ring. The noise disappears.
- March 2004, 25000 kilometers the noise of the diesel is again present.
- July 2, 2004, 34000 kilometers, I leave on holiday. The AN650 is in the retailer still for the noise of the diesel... and an alarming whistle.
- July 6, the mechanic calls me (near Benidorm Spain ! where I am on beach on holiday familly). He says to me: "All the moving parts of the CVT will be changed - belt, pulley, servo-motor, bearing. But we will not receive the last part on August 12... In 5 weeks! ! ! ! I wait or... I am irritated?
Pirmil
While waiting... , I look bicycle TV "tour de France" Lance Armstrong... http://www.lancearmstrong.com/

You know Dual Saddle for Suzuki Burgman 650 http://www.corbin.com/suzuki/burgman.shtml
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts
From: "naishdude" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu Jul 8, 2004 8:49 pm
Subject: Diesel sound in 2003 type Burgman 6


H guy's...here in Europe the sound is solved.
It seems to be a party of the cvt Suzuki has brought out a
wider "wheel" with some special equipment for the delaer to take the
old one out and replace it with the new.
It is all done for free.
Maybe this can help you to put a general question to Suzuki USA?
Kind Regards
Frank (Belgium)

For those of you who don't like to log into yahoo I copied the message for you. It appears above and really doesnt show me anything officially claiming that Suzuki has indeed made a recall
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Never quite underestood what you guys meant by "dieseling" until today. while at the local dealer I started up a new 650 sitting outside, and there was that peculiar sound. Motor was so quiet it was hardly noticable, making that "sound" more obvious. If its only at idle, I think I could get used to it real quick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
ted clement said:
Never quite underestood what you guys meant by "dieseling" until today. while at the local dealer I started up a new 650 sitting outside, and there was that peculiar sound. Motor was so quiet it was hardly noticable, making that "sound" more obvious. If its only at idle, I think I could get used to it real quick.
Yes, it is only at idle, and yes you would get used to it quick. All motorcycles make some peculiar mechanical noises. A person who lets that bother them, would be unhappy with almost any motorcycle or scooter.

Funny thing. I went to buy gas for my Burgman 650 several days ago. There was one pump open, so I pulled up to it. Put in my credit card and pushed all the appropriate yes / no buttons to start the transaction. Picked up the pump handle and went to push the gasoline grade selector button. There was only one selection button on the pump. "Diesel" :shock:

Needless to say, I cancelled the transaction and waited for another pump to open up...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
pirmil said:
pauljo said:
...

Here's the thing. The "fix" doesn't last. They replace one small part. The machine is quieter at idle for a week or two - and then the noise comes back. It might not be quite as loud as before, but it's pretty close. In my opinion, it's not worth having this done.
Hi
exact Paul...
after only 2000/3000 kilometers. (1300/1800 thousand).

Diesel noise, new episode
- January 2004, 22000 kilometers of change of ring. The noise disappears.
- March 2004, 25000 kilometers the noise of the diesel is again present.
- July 2, 2004, 34000 kilometers, I leave on holiday. The AN650 is in the retailer still for the noise of the diesel... and an alarming whistle.
- July 6, the mechanic calls me (near Benidorm Spain ! where I am on beach on holiday familly). He says to me: "All the moving parts of the CVT will be changed - belt, pulley, servo-motor, bearing. But we will not receive the last part on August 12... In 5 weeks! ! ! ! I wait or... I am irritated?
Pirmil
While waiting... , I look bicycle TV "tour de France" Lance Armstrong... http://www.lancearmstrong.com/

You know Dual Saddle for Suzuki Burgman 650 http://www.corbin.com/suzuki/burgman.shtml
Sure hope I don't end up like yours. Rode today only for the 3rd time. By the time I got home, my 650 diesel sound is at LEAST twice as loud. VERY loud "CLATTER" and for the first time (in my quiet garage), I have a "whistling" sound as well. I loved the quiet little diesel sound at idle in the beginning. NOW starting to clatter more like a Cummins diesel or Cat! I'll just see what happens I suppose. This scooter is far to new to me to panic yet. But I am now a bit concerned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
Pappy said:
Rode today only for the 3rd time. By the time I got home, my 650 diesel sound is at LEAST twice as loud. VERY loud "CLATTER" and for the first time (in my quiet garage), I have a "whistling" sound as well. I loved the quiet little diesel sound at idle in the beginning. NOW starting to clatter more like a Cummins diesel or Cat! I'll just see what happens I suppose. This scooter is far to new to me to panic yet. But I am now a bit concerned.
Is the whistle while riding? If so, it is probably from the windscreen according to other posts. A length of foam weatherstripping stuffed between the lower edge of the windscreen and the scooter body will silence that one. If it is while standing still and running - I'd mention it to the dealer - that's not normal. If it is while standing still and turned off, it is probably air venting from the gas tank.

You can always request that the dealer do the "fix" for the "diesel clatter". It won't totally go away, but it might not be as loud. It doesn't cost anything to try it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
pauljo said:
Pappy said:
Rode today only for the 3rd time. By the time I got home, my 650 diesel sound is at LEAST twice as loud. VERY loud "CLATTER" and for the first time (in my quiet garage), I have a "whistling" sound as well. I loved the quiet little diesel sound at idle in the beginning. NOW starting to clatter more like a Cummins diesel or Cat! I'll just see what happens I suppose. This scooter is far to new to me to panic yet. But I am now a bit concerned.
Is the whistle while riding? If so, it is probably from the windscreen according to other posts. A length of foam weatherstripping stuffed between the lower edge of the windscreen and the scooter body will silence that one. If it is while standing still and running - I'd mention it to the dealer - that's not normal. If it is while standing still and turned off, it is probably air venting from the gas tank.

I only noticed how loud it had become at a stoplight when almost home. Only noticed the whistle STOPPED at idle in my garage. When riding, all I hear is wind blast till my already ordered XXL Clearview finds it's way to me. The whistle sound like a Vacume leak on a car. I'm sitting tight untill it shows me "more". But at only 140 miles total, it is 4 times louder than just at 118 miles this morning. Oil level is fine as well. I have never heard another Burgman so have no referance?

You can always request that the dealer do the "fix" for the "diesel clatter". It won't totally go away, but it might not be as loud. It doesn't cost anything to try it.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top