Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
My 2014 B400 was named what I thought was most appropriate: "Ingrid." She was my favorite Bergman.

I bought my 2012 B650 second hand so, of course, I named her "Rose" or "Rosie." I subsequently learned about the Jackson Browne tune entitled "Rosie," which is about masturbation. I spend so much time alone having fun on Rosie I figure that's another good justification for the name.

Reactions: JRoss

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I purchased a white 2018 new off the floor in September of 2019.... Since it is white and large on the bottom... the IceBurg! Love the Scooter....
I don't normally get into the naming thing, but this is one I might have to borrow!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Never been a fan of naming machines. As a newlywed, I had a green VW Beetle the missus dubbed "Sweet Pea." I grudgingly accepted that.

Now, I feel compelled to name my new (to me) '16 Burgman. It's a 650 in matte black I bought last month with 1,937 miles. I like it so much I sold my '17 BMW C 650 GT. While I love the BMW-growl motorcycle feel of the GT, I love it 2 out of 10 rides. The other 8 times, I prefer the quiet, silky-smooth Burgman.

This summer I will Cowboy Up and ride the Burgman from South Florida to my hometown of Rochester, New York.

So naturally, I named it Hoss.

Hoss is a trusty, agreeable mechanical steed. Rarely have to clean him because of the matte black paint. Care and feeding is easy. Yesterday I changed the engine, transmission and gear oils -- I forgot how convenient it is to have a glass porthole to check the level of my red Motul oil. On Friday, I ordered a black Corbin saddle for him.

So, who's named their Burgman? And why does that name fit?

View attachment 89534 View attachment 89535
I see you ride without your driver's buttrest. I rode without for about a month never appreciating the two open holes and flat look. I found a upholster to cut and reupholster the buttrest and now it's as if It's not even on. No pushing forward,much leg room and no ugly holes. View my profile/media and you can see how he cut it.
Never been a fan of naming machines. As a newlywed, I had a green VW Beetle the missus dubbed "Sweet Pea." I grudgingly accepted that.

Now, I feel compelled to name my new (to me) '16 Burgman. It's a 650 in matte black I bought last month with 1,937 miles. I like it so much I sold my '17 BMW C 650 GT. While I love the BMW-growl motorcycle feel of the GT, I love it 2 out of 10 rides. The other 8 times, I prefer the quiet, silky-smooth Burgman.

This summer I will Cowboy Up and ride the Burgman from South Florida to my hometown of Rochester, New York.

So naturally, I named it Hoss.

Hoss is a trusty, agreeable mechanical steed. Rarely have to clean him because of the matte black paint. Care and feeding is easy. Yesterday I changed the engine, transmission and gear oils -- I forgot how convenient it is to have a glass porthole to check the level of my red Motul oil. On Friday, I ordered a black Corbin saddle for him.

So, who's named their Burgman? And why does that name fit?

View attachment 89534 View attachment 89535
I see you removed the unfcomfortable driver's butt-rest. Is that because it robs you of leg room? I drove without one for about a month until I found a upholster to reupholster and cut to my comfort level. I no longer have to look at the two open holes with a flat back and it fits me as if it's not there. I can move all the way back with comfort. I have pics in my profile/media.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
"I found a upholster to reupholster and cut to my comfort level. I no longer have to look at the two open holes with a flat back and it fits me as if it's not there .... I have pics in my profile/media."

That's a nice looking solution, and certainly cost-efficient.

Yes, I removed my buttrest for added legroom. I can't even ride a Burgman with a stock seat; I'm totally cramped and miserable. I thought about visiting an upholsterer but drank the Corbin Kool-aid long ago.

I bought one of their seats two weeks ago. It's due to arrive at Corbin's location in Florida next Wednesday, so I will ride north about 3 hours next week to have them install it. The seat is easy to install, just four bolts and unplug/plug in the lamp and heating elements. I'm kind of indulging myself by having them do it (at no charge), plus it's a great excuse for a ride AND a perfect time of year to tour in Florida.

Here's the seat I designed. I had them push it back 3 inches so I am guaranteed to have plenty of room to stretch out my legs. Also insisted they remove/not include the goofy scooter artwork and just stitch their name on the seat.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks comfortable. Contoured for the buttocks. We expect pictures when you install.

Just looked up the price on that model Corbin. HOOT! That's one expensive seat. But It does look comfy.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I had a Corbin seat on my B400 and loved it. Now that I have the 650, I've decided on the same upgrade. Coincidentally, I was on my way back to Cincinnati from Florida today and stopped in at the Corbin shop in Ormond Beach JUST IN CASE they had a seat in stock, although I didn't expect they would. And they didn't. So I'll design and order one on online when I get back.

One thing I learned when I designed the seat for my 400 is that, because the seat is so large, you need to be careful with colors. I considered making the sides red to contrast with my matte black bike, and realized that the whole contraption could end up looking like one of those multi-colored Plymouths from the 1950's. I went with all "Black Bomber Jacket" with red stitching and welts, and it looked great.

I considered getting the 650 seat in white since the bike is white, and then decided that I was unenthusiastic about keeping a white seat clean. So I think I will use exactly the same color combination again: Black Bomber Jacket with maybe some red trim. (White trim looks too precious, IMHO.)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
"Just looked up the price on that model Corbin. HOOT! That's one expensive seat. But It does look comfy."

Yes and no (expensive seat). The initial cash outlay is steep, yes, but the seat will probably outlast my use of the bike, and I can take the seat off and sell it for several hundred dollars, probably in about a day; used Corbin seats are a hot commodity. So if you figure I buy it for $749 and sell it three years later for $400 (which I have done), I'm getting the comfort of a Corbin for three years for $350 ... roughly $100 a year, or about as much as my bike insurance, but WAY more satisfying ;o).

For me, the added comfort on every ride is worth it. The only body part that touches the bike as much as our butts is our hands. Corbin puts in foam with twice the density of a stock seat, which means it doesn't sag after a couple hours of riding like a stock seat. It stays firm and supports your spine, and that eliminates pain and soreness. Plus, on an emotional level, they just look ridiculously nice.

"I think I will use exactly the same color combination again: Black Bomber Jacket with maybe some red trim."

That sounds sensible and tasteful. For what it's worth, I had a red seat on my white 2013 650. The red was too "happy" for me but it came with the machine. When I bought a Silver Wing I ordered my first Corbin in Red Bomber Jacket and loved it. That might be a color for you to think about. My red seat on the Burgman started lots of conversations. You're right, though. It's a big seat, and I felt more confident about being understated with Black Natural Leather. I also think it will work really well with my matte black paint job.

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
... I went with all "Black Bomber Jacket" with red stitching and welts, and it looked great.
I like it, too, but it sure looks like Gray Bomber Jacket to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My daughter named my "newly acquired AN650 "GUMBO" because we were suppose to be in NOLA for Mardi Gras last week till today. Unfortunately (sort of) we both got sick and couldn't go. So last friday I was surfing the net and came across a forsale for this Burgman .. long story short .. I went to see it and bought it on the spot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
been thinking .. I just need to get a hitch from somewhere .. haven't been able to find one yet. Any suggestions would help ..

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
been thinking .. I just need to get a hitch from somewhere .. haven't been able to find one yet. Any suggestions would help ..
Dave_J is the man to talk to....he once seen a guy haul a boat with his Burgman.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
"Just looked up the price on that model Corbin. HOOT! That's one expensive seat. But It does look comfy."

Yes and no (expensive seat). The initial cash outlay is steep, yes, but the seat will probably outlast my use of the bike, and I can take the seat off and sell it for several hundred dollars, probably in about a day; used Corbin seats are a hot commodity. So if you figure I buy it for $749 and sell it three years later for $400 (which I have done), I'm getting the comfort of a Corbin for three years for $350 ... roughly $100 a year, or about as much as my bike insurance, but WAY more satisfying ;o).

For me, the added comfort on every ride is worth it. The only body part that touches the bike as much as our butts is our hands. Corbin puts in foam with twice the density of a stock seat, which means it doesn't sag after a couple hours of riding like a stock seat. It stays firm and supports your spine, and that eliminates pain and soreness. Plus, on an emotional level, they just look ridiculously nice.

"I think I will use exactly the same color combination again: Black Bomber Jacket with maybe some red trim."

That sounds sensible and tasteful. For what it's worth, I had a red seat on my white 2013 650. The red was too "happy" for me but it came with the machine. When I bought a Silver Wing I ordered my first Corbin in Red Bomber Jacket and loved it. That might be a color for you to think about. My red seat on the Burgman started lots of conversations. You're right, though. It's a big seat, and I felt more confident about being understated with Black Natural Leather. I also think it will work really well with my matte black paint job.
View attachment 89629 View attachment 89630

You need to change the name from Hoss to Monkey Butt ?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
This is one source:
Suzuki Motorcycle hitch

I know this one (second in the list) will fit the models prior to 2013. Don't know about fit on 2013-current (in case anyone is wondering) so would recommend a phone call to verify.

I used a hitch from here for my ST1100 and pulled a Kompact Kamp Mini Mate camper with that bike. In 2004 and 2005 (and maybe 2007) I saw 2 Burgman 650 scoots at the Davis Motorcycle Rally (a big rally in northern Iowa just after Labor Day) that had pulled campers from Washington state. One pulled a Kwik Camp and the other pulled a Little B Bunkhouse camper. I met one of them one year but don't remember which year. @Dave_J may know who they are. That rally is still going on but now put on by the city of New Hampton as a fund raiser for the Boy Scouts. So anyway, pulling a boat is not that big an issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have called my trike several names over the past few years even on Saturday as well. Never really gave my trike a name but it is rather unique as you can see below.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts