Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never been a fan of naming machines. As a newlywed, I had a green VW Beetle the missus dubbed "Sweet Pea." I grudgingly accepted that.

Now, I feel compelled to name my new (to me) '16 Burgman. It's a 650 in matte black I bought last month with 1,937 miles. I like it so much I sold my '17 BMW C 650 GT. While I love the BMW-growl motorcycle feel of the GT, I love it 2 out of 10 rides. The other 8 times, I prefer the quiet, silky-smooth Burgman.

This summer I will Cowboy Up and ride the Burgman from South Florida to my hometown of Rochester, New York.

So naturally, I named it Hoss.

Hoss is a trusty, agreeable mechanical steed. Rarely have to clean him because of the matte black paint. Care and feeding is easy. Yesterday I changed the engine, transmission and gear oils -- I forgot how convenient it is to have a glass porthole to check the level of my red Motul oil. On Friday, I ordered a black Corbin saddle for him.

So, who's named their Burgman? And why does that name fit?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
If mine was two cycle I’d call it Hop Sing Ding Ding Ding !

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I named my former 2005 Burgman 650 BlueWave for obvious reasons (Skywave). But I haven't named any bikes before that nor since including my current 2013 model. Just didn't really get into it much.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I always name my bikes :)

First there was MJ (for MaryJane, as the Spiderman wife) for my Yamaha MaJesty 125 '00.
A tranquil and smooth lady to which i asked much more than what i should have.

(a friend with a Honda CBR600 and me with MJ on the Trasimeno Lake)

Then there was my Burgman 400 '00 BESTIO ("beast" in italian is feminine, i "modded" the word in masculine) 'cause the "violent" kick and "raw" power of the engine compare to MJ (well, it may be that my rubber mounts were just gone :LOL: )

(Bestio on the Emilian-Tuscan Appennini)

And now there's my 650 '08 TRON. It should be obvious why he got his name :giggle:. The reason for that "look" is that i live in a very foggy zone (really, we could export cans of fog and sell it by weight!), and a completly black scooter is something i feel as dangerous.

(my first ride on TRON, as always on the Appennini)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Love the yellow stripes on TRON. Makes the 650 look stylish.

Because of the red oil in the glass porthole, I briefly considered "Terminator" or "Arnold" as a name, but HOSS felt right.

·
Super Moderator
801 Posts
I'm with Rusty J
No names for my stuff other than what it was called from the factory in an abbreviated form.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have occasionally called my bikes names when I'm wrenching on them. No need to list them here, would just be a bunch of ** anyway.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I named my 650 Burgman, The 650 Burgman. Can't think of no other name. I'm with Rusty J on this one.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
How about Burgman 650? :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Never been a fan of naming machines. As a newlywed, I had a green VW Beetle the missus dubbed "Sweet Pea." I grudgingly accepted that.

Now, I feel compelled to name my new (to me) '16 Burgman. It's a 650 in matte black I bought last month with 1,937 miles. I like it so much I sold my '17 BMW C 650 GT. While I love the BMW-growl motorcycle feel of the GT, I love it 2 out of 10 rides. The other 8 times, I prefer the quiet, silky-smooth Burgman.

This summer I will Cowboy Up and ride the Burgman from South Florida to my hometown of Rochester, New York.

So naturally, I named it Hoss.

Hoss is a trusty, agreeable mechanical steed. Rarely have to clean him because of the matte black paint. Care and feeding is easy. Yesterday I changed the engine, transmission and gear oils -- I forgot how convenient it is to have a glass porthole to check the level of my red Motul oil. On Friday, I ordered a black Corbin saddle for him.

So, who's named their Burgman? And why does that name fit?

View attachment 89534 View attachment 89535

No name on my 650, but noticed the Rochester trip. Worked in Oswego until I retired and moved to the Gettysburg area.

Just had to comment on that. Sure could be a nice ride if you get over this way and go up RT15 with Watkins Glenn and others. Really nice scenery along and around the lakes.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I never anthropomorphize inanimate objects.
They hate that.

(Yes, I've used that one before.)
These days, they're "The White Bike" (B200) and "The Blue Bike" or "The Big Burgman" (B650).
Used to have names for 'em. Doesn't seem all that important now that I have a small fleet of bikes.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
... Doesn't seem all that important now that I have a small fleet of bikes.
You mean it doesn't help to call them to you by name??? 😁

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have occasionally called my bikes names when I'm wrenching on them. No need to list them here, would just be a bunch of ** anyway.
Good to know I'm not the only one that calls them by terms of endearment! 😂

Names are in my signature. Piglet got his name after a conversation with a friend who rides a HD. Went something like this...
Friend: "did you ride the hog to work today?"
Me: "HA! That ain't no hog, it's a piglet."

When I bought the 650, Piglet got a big brother/pen mate. So it was named Pumbaa.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"Worked in Oswego until I retired and moved to the Gettysburg area .... Just had to comment on that. Sure could be a nice ride if you get over this way and go up RT15 with Watkins Glenn and others. Really nice scenery along and around the lakes."

My sister graduated from SUNY Oswego ... many fond memories of being blown sideways in winter from the wind off Lake Ontario.

Re: Gettysburg: I am coming through your neck o' the woods. I decided to take the Amtrak Auto Train from Orlando to Lorton VA southwest of D.C., then catch Route 15 up into the Finger Lakes and on to 390 and Rochacha. It would be fun to having riding company, especially the Burgman kind!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
You mean it doesn't help to call them to you by name??? 😁
Nah, none have Smart Summon yet.

It was useful for sig-line tagging ("oh, that's the guy with 'The Pale Horse' ", from back when I had my Honda) but I haven't used any of the names consistently online in recent years so it doesn't help with that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts