Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Did you get to test ride before you purchased your Burgman?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious.

Steve

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I didn't test ride (voted no). However, my dealer does allow 3 mile test rides (all in town roads). There is a lot you can't tell about a machine in a test ride that limited.

In Connecticut, the dealer knew me well - I had been a customer for years. On a used machine, he would toss me the keys and I'd be off for at least a half hour - interstate, backroads, in town streets. On a new machine, I can see where the dealers can't let you rack up 30 miles on a test ride - it would become a used machine fast.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
My dealer took his only 650 off of the showroom floor and let me take it for a test ride. He only asked that I keep it under 4,000 rpm and keep it to about a 5 mile ride. It wasn't a long ride but it sold me on the Burgman. :D

·
Registered
719 Posts
I did not get a test ride from the dealer. I was down at Daytona Bike Week a couple years ago and Suzuki had a bunch of them available for test rides then. It was a good route through the city, some twisties, and highway. When I decided to get a scooter a few weeks ago, I knew the one I wanted.

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
The dealer where I bought my 400 last year said to keep it to certain roads so he could find me if there was a problem. He said nothing about the 4,000 rpm limit, I took it to 70 mph with no problem, I bought it the next Day.
4 months later I was at a different dealer to check out accs. and he had a 650 that he drove and wanted to see the 400. He threw his keys to me and said "try it out, you will love it" so,, I had to, couldn't offend him.
I traded the 400 the following week on a new 650.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
No test ride hear. I knew I wanted one after just seeing it for the first time. What sold me was the dealer sold me there last machine ( demo 110 kms) for $2600 below MSRP. I knew if I didnt like it I should be able to get my money back for it. Well I'm not looking to get my money back now......its a keeper!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Made the "deal" first, with my Reflex in trade, to let him know I was not a tire kicker; then told him I wanted to test ride it. No questions, or limitations put on me. Came back and dickered a bit more, then handed him my credit card and rode it home. Been grinning ever since.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I didn't get a test ride when i bought my 400 burgman. However, when i went to buy my 650. I went to Fayetteville(a town south of us) & there i found a used 650 & fell in love right away. So when i finaly bought at a dearlership in Tulsa,Ok. He ask me if i wanted to ride the scoot? No way just let sign on the dotted line. I haven't been sorry since. My wife hasn't been sorry either since she ended up with the 400. We love them both.
Doug Collins
Springdale,Arkansas

·
Registered
308 Posts
THe test ride was the only way I would realize that the Burgman is a better, more practical bike than my bike at the time (gsxr). When I felt that it had plenty of power to tackle the California freeways and great low-weight handling, I got over the "scooter allergy" and bought it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
No test ride for my 650 or 400, Both from Tucson Motorsports.

I was given some sitting time for both floor models and was told that the
650 had a more durable transmission so I bought it.
Big mistake that was as the 400 proved to be more ergonomically
sound for my body.
Foolishly, I bought the 650 and gave it a try for 10 months before conceding defeat
but had the hutspah to trade for the 400 and stay in the family atleast.
All in all, the change from 650 (4,200 mi) to a new '03 400 cost
$1,900 dollars to get the upside-down payments back on track.
So when I hear that an Ohioan got their 400 for less than $5,500
out the door, I cringe knowing that over the
the short term I'm strapped for cash but over the long term, the shoe fits.

If I had been given a test ride for both models (even around their lot)
I would have known that the 400 is a compromise I can live with.
The compromise is about Power that the 400 will never have but with
total weight that's easy to park an push around.

Tucson Motorsports said that if they ready both bikes for a demo ride
that they wouldn't keep well on the showroom floor after being fueled.

I wanted a Burgman, and for my sins they gave me one.
After this bike, I won't ask for another.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I took FOUR test rides on the AN650 before I bought it. It had been traded in for a Gold Wing at the local Honda/Yamaha dealer so it was used with 1400 miles on the odometer.

Four rides because, as a sport bike guy, I couldn't get over the "weird" looks of the Burgman. However, each ride moved me closer to buying it. It was quiet, it had silky smooth yet strong acceleration, and the CVT and no shifting were a hoot.

After each ride, and they took place over a ten day period, I got on the internet and read everything I could about it, both here in the US and in Europe and the UK.

When I bought it, the dealer, a friend for 25 years, said, "I'm glad you bought it before you wore the tires out."

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had a weekend test ride. Over here in Japan, there is no difficulty with arranging test rides - but you won't be riding the machine you are going to buy whether it is new or used. Each machine is registered to the owner, once you sell it on it becomes unregistered and therefore can't be used on the road. Shops often have scheduled demonstration days, or test ride bikes specifically registered for this use. They wil give you the keys and tell you to have fun, with nothing more than a note of your name and address and copy of driving license as ID.

The last bike I test rode was the Honda CBR1000RR - I had to extend the test ride beyond the planned 15 minutes to do some extra mielage in an effort to conceal the evidence of burnout on the rear tyre...

The AN650 weekend test told me a lot about the touring orientation of the machine, and rubbed clear the 'Suzuki SilverWing' preconcpetions that I had. This is a CVT R1150 RT, not the high-powered luxury city scooter that I had thought it may be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts