Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

Premium Member
The MPG is just icing on a big comfortable easy peasy slice of cake.

Reactions: rjs987

Registered
@DelrayBeacher , you actually think that display is accurate?!
My guess is you are actually getting closer to 55-57 mpg. But that's good as well.
I've been getting over 60 mpg on mine but only running at mostly 35-45 mph the last few months. I've seen over 60 mpg at 55 mph when I travel (I much prefer slower county highways to anything faster since there is SO much less traffic and I get to actually enjoy the countryside while riding) but mostly been closer 56-59 mpg on those roads... unless there is a wicked head wind.

That said, my choice of ride was only partly due to mpg. But also due to the fun of riding this scooter and comfort and ease of operating it. And did I say fun!?

Was that a dark chocolate pudding cake? 馃榿

Registered
"you actually think that display is accurate?!
My guess is you are actually getting closer to 55-57 mpg."

RJS ... why do you say that? Why isn't the display accurate?

I'm happy to hear my mileage is probably better than I thought. But my curiousity is piqued. I will record mpg's by hand for a couple tankfuls and see what I get.

Reactions: Dave_J

Registered
Actually, no I did not buy it for the MPGs. All of the scooters that I've bought (from 2007 to present) were strictly for pleasure riding. So I don't care what the MPGs are and have no idea what mileage I get.

Registered
@DelrayBeacher , I say that from personal experience calculating mine... when I do. I don't calculate it every time, but when I do the calculation is always higher than the display. The difference between the display and calculation is not consistent either. So in cold weather when I see lower mpg the calculated mpg is closer to what is displayed, sometimes less than 2 off (display=47, calculated=49). And in warmer weather recently I've seen the display show 60 but calculated comes out to 65. Sometimes I've seen the display show 57 and calculate it to be 59 as well as the display show 52 and calculate it to be 58! I know the odo is consistent. The mpg display is not.

Just like the speedo is off. I also know the odometer is off a little but not nearly as much as the speedo at maybe 1.5-3%. I've calculated both with GPS miles and my odo. Since I don't really care what the exact mpg number is I just use the odo to calculate and I only use calculated mpg to monitor how the bike is running. If there is a problem it's likely that it will show up in the mpg if I don't notice otherwise before that. Just the same calculated is close enough to actual for me.

Registered
"I say that from personal experience calculating mine ... the calculation is always higher than the display."

Thanks for the clarification. I don't really care about mpg, either. But I got curious when I wondered whether my Burgman or Prius was more efficient. You raise a good point: mpg can be a helpful indication of bike performance.

Flashback ....

I like getting good mpg's dating back to my sophomore year in high school, when I had to hit my buddies up for gas money (quarters!) so we could cruise in my '64 Chevy. It had no heater, a football-size hole under the driver's mat, and a gas pedal that sometimes stuck when you floored it. I had to turn the car off and reach down to free the pedal with my hand. Dad bought it for $125.00. I drove it until I went to college 300 miles away. By then, I had to stop at every other exit on the New York State Thruway to add oil. Man, I loved that machine.
download.jpg

Reactions: 808

Registered
As is his wont, RJS is right. In this case, about actual mpg's being better than the mpg's calculated by the bike.

I just filled up and the bike said 57 mpg, but I calculated 60 mpg. I calculated to the hundredth decimal point and filled up at the same pump to the same level, until I could see gas in the filler tube. Bike was on the center stand both times.

My initial calculation of 50 mpg was a "total history of the bike" reading that included a couple thousand miles from the previous owner. I don't think he was terribly efficient, considering the bike had 8 lbs. of air in each tire when I bought it.

Anyway, in normal riding, my 2016 Burgman 650 gets 60 mpg. Yes! I like that.

IMG_4355.jpg

Reactions: rjs987
61 - 68 of 68 Posts