Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
The MPGs are nice. Everything is a trade-off. I was looking to save fuel and in the process got a scoot that has decent storage and engine power.

·
Registered
576 Posts
OKay. so you guys know that I'm pretty much a huge gearhead right? andf that I read ALL the major motorbike rags too right.

so anyway, in sept of 2003, Cycle world had John Burns write a road test of the '03 AN650, and it sounded the bomb, totally. back then, I was riding a Suzuki VS1400 intruder. loved it, but the burgman was all the new hotness, techology leader, lots of kewl features.. I was captivated. As a gearhead, I just thought it was really, really, coooool. The following spring, I was at a local suzi dealer, and they had an 03 on the floor, and as I went round looking at and performing the ritual "Sitting on the Bikes", I kep coming back to the burgman, sitting on it, taking it on and off the centerstand, etc... I went home that day with whatever it was I was buying (oil adn filter for the Intruder most likely), but still captivated by the burgman.

years passed, I got divorced, had to sell the VS1400 to pay my lawyer's retainer, my brother gave me a 1980 yamaha XS850 that I put back on the road, and rode as my only bike until the spring of 2007, when my finances finally settled down and I was once again ahead of the game a bit - at least there was enough left over each month to think seriously about a new bike.

I went back to that suz dealership, sat on a few more bikes, but finally simply went and found a salesman and told him, "I want to buy that white Burgman 650 over in the corner there." rode it home the next day. its out in tha parking lot right now. 16,110 on hte odo since 5/25/07. I ride every day rain or shine.

its everything I thought it would be, and more. I don't know if I could go back to a regular motorcycle as my only ride. I am SO spoilt. that it gets double the MPGs of my car is gravy. that the first question most non-riders ask me though.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Last fall I saw a Silverwing zip by while at an intersection. That got me thinking that most of my driving is solo on local suburban highways, and that getting back onto 2 wheels could save a few bucks in gas . . . and would be much more fun than just sitting in the cage. I wanted a scooter for the storage and leg protection. Research educated me to the CVT and the Burgman. I was originally leaning toward the 400 but found a deal on a 650 Exec. I am very happy I did. Even though the mpg of the 650 is less than the 400, it is the perfect bike for me. :D I average 49-52 mpg, which is still 30 more than my Volvo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wrecked the GSXR that I owned going way too fast and being the stereotypical young squid that gets talked about on this forum. I grew up, had some kids, realized that my back pain was from the motorcycle accident and the wife told me that I was no longer allowed to have a motorcycle.

I have been looking at two-wheeled transportation and trying to justify how I would get to keep the wife also, Saw a Silverwing locally and started researching scooters and So I started to float the idea of a scooter to her, No problems with a scooter she said; though, I think she had in her mind I was picking up a 50cc Honda Metro and that my pride would get in the way and that I would never go buy a scooter, good thing she didn't know about the Maxi-Motorcycle that just happens to have CVT :twisted:

I still knew that the Burgman was not what she had in mind, so I bought a used 2003 in 2007, right at Christmas and put it on the porch Christmas morning with a bow on it.

At the time my scooter only had 1900 miles on it. At the price I paid, I calculated that if I drove it 10,000 business reimbursed miles at $3.00 gasoline, that it would then be a free vehicle and have paid for itself versus driving my truck, not to mention the time saved getting to ride in the Commuter lanes as a solo occupant which saves me a couple hours of my precious time each week. Now that gas is hovering around $4.00 and the IRS increased the reimbursement rate in July, it took me even less time to be reimbursed for my smiles per gallon and essentially have a free vehicle. Just recently found out that I also get to park at the airport for free, which saves me even more money.

50% because the wife said no more motorcycle but a scooter would be okay
25% to be able to ride in the commuter lane solo
and 25% MPG and free parking paying for the vehicle.

Would have liked to have found a 650, but for the price I paid, couldn't and probably never would have pulled the trigger. But now that the wife has come around to a scooter, and the fact that I can't (and don't want to) go 0-120 in third gear on the freeway on ramps anymore, and that I have ridden the 400 to San Francisco from LA twice and to Phoenix once, and the 400 doesn't seem suited for distances over 4 to 5 hours of straight interstate driving with my 250 pounds plus luggage, I think I will upgrade sometime this fall. Any suggestions on hw to justify this to the better half?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a Kymco Xciting 250 and traded-up to the Burgman 400 for the extra HP when touring. The 400 gets better mileage than the 250, so that's just a bonus.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
robbovius said:
... that it gets double the MPGs of my car is gravy. that the first question most non-riders ask me though.
Cooincidently, the first question I like to ask the SUVie on the other side of the gas pump island is, "Does that thing get good gas milage?"
I don't seem to make many friends at the gas station these days.

8) Claude

·
Registered
140 Posts
Pastor Ron said:
The first time I layed eyes on Burgy, I wanted one...Although it took me a year to get it. The fuel economy was just a bonus.

Same here! Love at first sit and all that. It's been the wisest purchase that I've made in a while, even more so recently with the gas prices spiking. 3.99-4.50 here in SC.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I was just going through Suzuki's web site and it was interesting to see that they had the Burgman 650 rated at only 38 mpg... and they call it ride smart... (A Honda Fit gets about the same mileage on 4 wheels)...

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/AN650K8

·
Registered
352 Posts
I could buy over 2,000 gallons of gas at $4.00 for what I paid OTD. Thats about 34,000 miles at 17 mpg (2003 Tundra)

I bought it because I wanted it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I didn't considerthe mileage for a second...When I saw the road test for the Burgy in a bike magazine,I knew it was the bike that I could ride until I was really old...found a slightly used 650 a couple of years ago,and have never regretted it.My wife and I did a run into Montana this year,and the Burgy was brilliant....Even 2 up,with luggage,it rocked.Thats what surprises so many people,Burgmans rock...I carpool with a buddy,but in summer,we ride...He has a Yamaha 1100 cruiser,and I can lose him at a light before he has had a chance to drop the clutch...!!...the 50mpg is just a bonus...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not really, I already had a bike that got over 50 MPG, but I wanted to be able to do some camping trips like I did back in the 70's before I got married, (I put over 41,000 miles on a 74 BMW in a little over 2 years before it was totaled in a rear end accident), but I can't get my leg over a regular bike when it's loaded up for camping anymore, (getting old sux). I'm still trying to get used to the Burgman, I don't like the feet forward riding position, although being able to move your feet around to different positions is nice, and the handelbars are to high and come back to far, I've rotated the bars as for forward as they will go without hitting to windshield, at least I no longer see my elbows in the rear view mirrors. :D I do like the storage it's a lot easier to throw my lunch box under the seat than strap it to a luggage rack, in fact I'm able to get all my camping gear under the seat :cheers:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Dennis M said:
... I don't like the feet forward riding position... in fact I'm able to get all my camping gear under the seat :cheers:
You might try a Scarabeo or other big wheel scooter.
The down side is the need for a top box. You can't get much of anything under the seat.

:D Claude

·
Registered
576 Posts
Tokkyu40 said:
Cooincidently, the first question I like to ask the SUVie on the other side of the gas pump island is, "Does that thing get good gas milage?"
I don't seem to make many friends at the gas station these days.

8) Claude
LOL! seriously...most often right after "...does it get good gas mileage?" comes, "Can you take it on the highway?" to which i answer, "it's a 650, it'll do 100." Their look of surprise never fails to amuse. ;-)

As much as we all bemoan Suzuki's lack of advertising, I really like the relative rarity of B650s on the road. there actually is a real exclusivity to ownership.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I couldn't justify the purchase price if MPG were the motivating force. I did the math recently (working from memory in this post) - in terms of fuel only, it cost me about $0.21 per mile to drive my minivan. The 650 only costs me about $0.07. So, for every mile I ride the scoot instead of the van, I save 14 cents, roughly. I paid about $7600 out the door for the scoot. That means that in terms of fuel, I won't recoup the cost until I hit 53,600 miles or so.

Having owned the bike for two summers now, I've put on about 4000 miles per year. Meaning it'll take 13 and a half years for the bike to pay for itself in fuel cost savings. Of course, the equation is a lot more complex than that. I could note that it isn't just about saving money personally, but also about using less of a limited resource, and creating less pollution.

But ultimately, I bought my 650 because I fell in love with the idea of having a big freaking scooter. And while I do watch my mileage carefully, and drive so as to keep the gauge above the 50 mpg mark, that's mostly for after the fact bragging rights. If gasoline became free tomorrow, I'd still ride the scoot whenever I could.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Like others here, I used to ride (pilot?) a motorcycle when younger; but when I stopped and got older, I didn't think about it further (too chancy!). Last few years though, I thought I was missing quality of life issues by riding in cages during the summer months. But I didn't want to go back to motorcycles. I didn't want the shifting and wanted a more utilitarian 2-wheeled vehicle. Having perused online info and especially this site -- I settled on the Burgman 650 and have not looked back, so far.

I think of this Burgman 650 as the Ford Falcon of 2-wheeled vehicles. I'm sure there's many here old enough to remember the Ford Falcon; a car that was designed to be a utilitarian vehicle for the masses. A good, basic, functional, 'people's car'. The Burgman fits the bill.

And oh yeah -- the MPGs are just a big bonus. Like someone else posted -- if gas were free I'd still be piloting the Burgman.

BTW -- I hope nobody was trying to tease us by mentioning a Burgman 900. If Suzuki ever came up with a 900 for long-distance touring....I'm there!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good mileage was the biggest factor. Alright, maby not THE biggest factor, but close. I wanted good mileage, handling, auto trans, ABS brakes are really important to me also! As I get older I know that my reflexes are slower, so wanted the auto trans and the ABS brakes, but wanted good power also. So went with the 650 Burg Exec. Mileage wise, I get about 55mpg at 65 mph with no headwinds in the mountains. With really strong 25-30mph headwinds, I drop down to about 45mpg. I wanted power to pass trucks on the Interstate, and get away from the situations where trucks or cars or even RVs are crowding my personal space on the hiway. Sometimes the best defense is a strong offense! Ride smart, ride safe!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought it as a practical commuter that is fun and gets better mpg than my mini-van.

When I bought it I was looking at getting either a V-Strom 1000 or a Triumph Tiger because I thought I had to ride something with more than the 800cc's of the Honda Pacific Coast I had. It was love at first sight with the Burgman and before I bought it I researched it and discovered this forum. I didn't even get to test ride one and decided to trust the folks here.....I'm glad I did!

Now if they could only release a 900cc version......... :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
I bought my '16 Burgman 650, after four Silver Wings and two BMW C 650 GT's, for the automatic transmission and the big, smooth ride. Mileage wasn't a consideration.

Out of curiousity, I just checked my mileage and after 5,200 miles, I'm right at 50 mpg. I'll take that.

It still amazes me that my Prius does slightly better at 51 mpg, weighing 3,000+ lbs.

19. 50 MPG.jpg

41 - 60 of 68 Posts