Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
excaliber said:
... Even the 650, at times, leaves me wanting just a bit more power...:lol:
Just out of curiousity, what are you doing that requires more power than the 650? Racing jet bikes at Bonneville? :D

8) Claude

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not at all. Mine is actually a rather involved story (some of you already know it). I am military (USAF) and was stationed in the UK. Had a little Suzuki TU-250 (Volty). Great bike for the twisty little English backroads--serious fun and great mileage. In April 05 I deployed to Afghanistan. In June 05 I was almost killed when one of my troops found a land mine the hard way. I was right next to him at the time. To shorten the story, I almost lost my right leg just above the knee. The medical folks ultimately saved the leg, but I am left with segnificant nerve damage and nerve palsy in the right foot. Which all means that I can only lift that foot a slight bit--but not if anything is pushing down on it. Pushing the foot down I have a little more strength, but not much. So while I was still in the hospital, my wife (after a slight meltdown regarding the foot brake on the bike I had at the time) offered me this compromise: 1. Stop riding. Or 2. I could get one of those "really big scooters with hand controls." (her words). So my thought process was like this: 1. I get to keep riding. Sweet. 2. I get a new bike. Double sweet. So I took option two. Once I had the framework off my leg, we started shopping, comparing and sitting on the Piaggio X-9 and BV-500, Burgman 400, and Majesty 400. I finally decided on the Majesty since it seemed to fit me the best at the time and the dealer gave me a "thanks for getting blown up" discount (that's actually what he called it). MPG was not really a consideration at the time, but it's been nice. It's handled everything I've asked of it. I've put almost 20,000 miles since August of last year and I have had exactly zero problems with it. I will admit that the maintenance schedule was one of the considerations in finally deciding between it and the Burgman.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I bought it as a replacement for trusty old 20 year old 1986 Honda Helix... then it kind of turned into a major surprise by vertue of its versatility and overall comfort and usefullness, who knew, it has become my favorite ride for now... I was getting much better MPG on my Helix, about 70 mpg, but I can live with the 45-55mpg city and 55-65mpg backcountry on the Burgy.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I originally did not buy it for the gas mileage, but now that's the reason I've moved from using it as a recreational vehicle to my main means of transportation. I started with a CF Moto (Honda Helix), but wanted something bigger so I could do the freeways with ease. Did a lot of research, and found this forum - then fell in love with the Burgie.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Bought it for MPG. First time riding ever, so I didn't want to shift and my wife thought a scooter would be safer. Of course I didn't argue with her. :D Originally I wanted the 400, but didn't really fit on it. I'm about 6'4" and my wife thought I kinda looked like a circus clown on a unicycle. So even though the 650 wasn't as good on gas, it really was the only choice....Not that I regret it one bit. Yeehaw. :D :cheers:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Bought my Burgie for these reasons:
  • Much better gas mileage than pickup truck[/*:m:18wgsmul]
  • Sufficient storage for most daily needs[/*:m:18wgsmul]
  • No more shifting![/*:m:18wgsmul]
  • Large enough for reserve power on freeway and for occasional touring[/*:m:18wgsmul]
  • Comfortable enough to go two-up (take my wife to work from time to time)[/*:m:18wgsmul]
  • A new car would have meant paying teenage daughter's insurance rate; no so for the Burgie[/*:m:18wgsmul]
  • Better for the planet (less fossil fuel consumed, less wear on roads)[/*:m:18wgsmul]
  • I like riding on two wheels[/*:m:18wgsmul]

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Partly. I wanted to conserve fuel, but more than that - I wanted a bike! I've had every kind of bike out there, but had never owned a big scooter. I went to the local Chinese motorcycle dealership and they had a big scooter (250cc) and sent me out on a test ride. I liked riding a big, automatic scooter! However, I didn't like it enough to buy it after reading all of the negative stuff about Chinese scooter quality (plus I own a Chinese 200cc motorcycle - I DON'T recommend ANYONE buy a bike if it says "Made In China" - you'll regret it).

I started reading all over the web about scooters and went down to the local "Ride Red - Honda" dealership and test rode a Helix. Was disappointed and didn't like it - same for the Silverwing. Read all about the Burgies and test drove one - loved it - bought it - blue '07 400. Farkled it up a bit and really liked the bike. Wanted another one for my son, but couldn't find a 400 in a 300mile area. The same dealership (110 miles from my home, by the way) had an '07 650 still in the crate and asked me if I was interested. Bought it - love it.

The 400 is more comfortable (the seat SUX on the 650 - the 400's seat is not too much better, but it is, somewhat more comfortable). The 400 gets better mileage - the 650 is a HOSS and goes and still gets 50+mpg.

Maybe it's because I've aged and like comfort more than macho now. I love how absolutely quiet my 650 is. I love not having to shift (bliss!). I love the massive storage. I like being able to ride in the rain and hardly get wet. I like riding and not getting my legs fried by the engine as I'm riding and not having heat waves billowing up into my face when I'm stopped at a light. I like my passenger being comfortable and being able to ride on a seat that's bigger than a folded towel.

As you can see, I could go on a lot more about it. Suzuki did a good job on the Burgie line - not perfect - hopefully they'll keep improving the bikes until they get it absolutely right.

Bottom line: :D says it all!

·
Registered
281 Posts
When I bought my first bike it was a gas saving issue. I originally bought a 250 Vespa due to the fact that I had a short commute and would get 73 MPG with that bike.
The problem was that I did not figure on falling in love with street riding, I had always been a sand thrower. I had lost a few buddies to the street in the past and considered it suicidal.
Well I fell in love with riding again and that was it. When I bought the 650 Burgman it was because of the size and power of the bike. I love the bike, but if I was to do it again I would probably only go up to the 400. Due to the type of riding that I really have the time to do. And yes, the gas mileage would be a factor in that decision.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did I buy it for the MPG??? well, Yes, that was a factor..... as opposed to my pickup....

But I really wanted to get back on 2 wheels, and I wanted to use it to commute to work, with my stuff.... I wanted to take long rides on the weekend, like a tourer..... I wanted a Gold Wing, but did not want to pay for it! I saw the Silver Wing, and thought that might be a good compromise..... so I went to a local dealership to see if it would actually be comfortable for a 6'3" guy weighing better than 300 lbs....

The Salesmen asked me what I was looking for, and I said I wanted to see a silver wing.... he looked at me and said " would you consider a used bike?", of course I said show me.... and he showed me a 2007 Burgman 650, with a Givi windshield. He said it would fit me better, have a little more power, and be less expensive..... Well, I was kinda intrested.... but even used, I wondered if I might be better with a cruiser for the same cost...... Until I thought about what the storage would cost to add on a cruiser, and a windshield, and the absense of the fairing (Hey, it can get COLD in Minnesota!, that fairing might really help!)

OK... well, I will think about it..... and the salesmen says "Don't think too long, I expect it will sell this weekend" .... It was Wednesday.... Friday I put down my deposit, Saturday Morning I finished the paperwork & drove it home! :D

Still might get a goldwing, if finances allow it, but I would not count on it.....

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
These responses are great! I wish all the manufacturers could read them. Basically we all want the following things:

hmmm, well , we want everything! ha ha!!!!!!!!! :lol:

fun, comfort, styling, power, mpg's, storage, size, safety, etc.
automatic transmission is huge for me.

heres a funny:

i was at autozone when a guy on a scooter pulled up.. a Harley rider said a snide remark about it being kinda sissy. the scooter rider told him, " obviously you are insecure about your manhood."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i thought that was a great come back.

that just goes to show, all of us scooter riding guys are secure with our manhood.

-Matt

·
Registered
60 Posts
First off, Conlanm thank youfor your service and thank goodness you survived the landmine.

I have serious issues with my hips, so the scooter was pretty much the ticket for me and it had been 20+ years since I had my last dirt bike while stationed on Guam. I was looking at the Silverwing or Burgman and the Burgman Executive beat the Silverwing across the board IMO. I took the MSF course at the local HD dealer on Buells -- course worth every dime for me after 20 some years off of a bike.

I enjoy my daily coffee break and debates with the fellows. My 2008 Ford F-250 Powerstroke gets me between 16 and 19 mpg (19 on a real good day) and diesel running almost a dollar a gallon more than regular gasoline helped make the decision for me. It costs me almost 2 gallons of diesel for my daily coffee trip compared to just a hair over 1/3 to 1/2 gallon of gasoline on the Burgman. An added bonus is that I can carry at least 3 wally world bags of groceries under the seat. :D My scotter gets me right at 55mpg -- just installed a new Clearview XXL windshield, so we'll see what that does to mpg.

The wife absolutely loves the Burgman. We try to take rides every weekend -- I would love to have a Goldwing, but doubt that I could get on and off very well. The truck doesn't get driven much these days.

Now, if Suzuki would just come out with a 900cc Burgman Exectuive Tourer with all the goodies a real touring bike has for options. :idea:
Regards,
Rich

·
Registered
18 Posts
MPG was the excuse I gave my wife, but ultimately was my desire to ride. Although we are saving $$ since she's parked her gas guzzler and now takes my Honda CRV. We could be saving more if I'd get the navigation system fixed on my Burg. It seems that everytime I go on an errand, what should be a 15 minute trip to Wally World turns into an hour and half trip. :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
I didn't even think about mpg when I bought my first 650. I wanted a bike that had some storage and that could handle some touring but I didn't want a big touring bike. I like to ride the twisties so a crusier really didn't appeal but the sport bike riding position also didn't appeal. Heard about the Burgman, test rode one and knew instantly this was the bike for me.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
MPG was the main reason and so I could go riding with my son who has a Kawaski Vulcan 900. When I went on vacation he put 400 miles on mine :eek: He couldn't match the MPG I get but did say it rode like a caddie on the freeway :cheers: I couldn't be more happy with my 400 just the right size and last tank was 69.5mpg :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
I bought my 250CC Honda Big Ruckus for the MPG's. Fell in love with scootering and wanted to do some touring so I bumped up the Burg 650. I still care about the MPG's though. I'm getting in the high 50's and am very happy with that. My car only gets about 30 mpg.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Buffalo said:
I didn't even think about mpg when I bought my first 650. I wanted a bike that had some storage and that could handle some touring but I didn't want a big touring bike. I like to ride the twisties so a crusier really didn't appeal but the sport bike riding position also didn't appeal. Heard about the Burgman, test rode one and knew instantly this was the bike for me.

"DITTO !!!!!!!!!!!!" Buffalo

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
not really. due to age (74),can't throw the leg over anymore. been riding scooters off and on for last 15 years. owned 6 helix, alantic 500 and burgman 650. loved that 650,but it got too heavy. last scot was a cfmoto 250 (helix clone). it was a ok,but not enough power for two-up. had a 08 red 400 on the way.then i find out it's still on the boat. got luck'y and found a 06 blue 400s with 450 miles on it. got it last saturday,it's now tuesday and miles are 810 best scooter i've ever owned including the burgie 650. then i check mileage wow 74 mpg . forget to mention it is a s model, no windshield,that will be changed soon .see you on the road. ike eisiminger

21 - 40 of 68 Posts