Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i started looking to buy a Burgman, the reason wasnt so much about the MPG's . But, mostly about the size, power and storage. i just wanted it for the fun of riding.

the interesting thing is, it looks as if the majority of recent scooter purchases were the same reason as mine; not for the gas MPG.

i say this because the cycle shops are full of 50cc to 250cc scooters, but you can barely find a big touring model like a Silverwing or Burgman. they are all sold out.

so, this leads me to believe the big increase in scooter sales was for leisure, not for the gas crunch.

I must admit, i used the excuse of saving gas as one of my reasons for buying it if someone asked. ha ha. but if i had really just wanted a gas miser, wouldnt i have just bought a 125cc?

Id like to hear from you all on this. am i on to something?

-Matt

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I bought it for the raw unbridled power of a mighty 400cc single. The 250 Helix really struggled on the local hills.
I got the Helix to save gas, but the use was sometimes painful because of the difficulty of holding 60, or even 50, on some of the hills I had to climb on my rounds. If I want to use the bike every day, I needed something with a bit more grunt, so I bought the Burgman to get the extra ponies. So technically I bought the 400 for the power to save me some money on gas. :D
If you really want to save gas, you need a scooter with the size and power to handle the worst the local conditions can throw at you. If you do a lot of freeway travel, a 125 won't save any gas because you won't be able to ride it.

8) Claude

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
cmn1771 said:
When i started looking to buy a Burgman, the reason wasnt so much about the MPG's . But, mostly about the size, power and storage. i just wanted it for the fun of riding.

the interesting thing is, it looks as if the majority of recent scooter purchases were the same reason as mine; not for the gas MPG.
I bought it for the MPG and because I hate being at the mercy of traffic jams. It turned out, that it's a lot of fun too.

Maybe we should have a poll asking people what their primary reason for buying a burgman was?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Bought it due to wanting to ride....bought it sooner rather than later due to the savings on gas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, fuel economy was one of the driving factors for purchasing the Burgman. I recently changed jobs from being a government contractor, to actually working for the goverment. I no longer needed to drive my 3/4 ton truck to and from work. I wanted something that would get better gas mileage AND give me the opportunity for as place to park at work. Parking is at premium at my place of employement and it takes several years of seniority to get as parking stall, however, motorcycle parking is open to all. Riding on two wheels saves me from paying for parking out in town and the need to walk into work. I chose the Burgman above all my other two wheeled options because I thought it gave me the best of comfort, mpg, and power for the money.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I had a Kymco Bet&Win 250 before that did fine on the 19 mile round-trip commute. I was already sold on "scooters" because of it and didn't really find any appeal in a "true" motorcycle. I liked the storage and protection of the fairings.

But when my commute changed from 19 miles to 60 miles, I knew I wanted to move up to the next level. 250cc's would do the commute, but I wanted a little more. I wanted a bike where my freeway commute would be comfortably in the design range, rather than at the 95 percent level the 250 gave me. So the Yamaha Majesty and Burgman 400 were the short list.

In my case, the Burgman 400 was purchased before people became focused on mpg. I bought it for all year commuting, and after riding it for 15 months and almost 18,000 miles, I still believe it does my commute better than any other bike could.

MPG? Sure, it is great. But the best part of the bike -- is the fun of the ride. After riding it for 6+ hours over the each of the four days of the Northwest Maxiscoot Rally, I was willing to get right back on it again and find another twisty road.

Chris

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
The first time I layed eyes on Burgy, I wanted one...Although it took me a year to get it. The fuel economy was just a bonus.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Didn't buy it for MPG or leisure....both have just been a bonus :D

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I needed a vehicle and convinced Dad it was the best economical and utilitarian solution to my needs. Though now it's become more of an obsession aside from my day to day transport.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
MPG probably had like 10% of the effect in my purchase. I mean I like looking at the MPG now but wasn't really why.
it was maybe 75% or so that it had SPACE :) on its own without luggage.. now I just had to end up having 41L on both sides and 46L on top. :roll: :lol:
I would have gotten a 400 but at the time I looked at the Burgmans the new 400s weren't out yet so I didn't like the look of the older 400 so pushed me to the 650 :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
I owned a Honda Big Ruckus before the Burgman, I felt like a target, wide open in the slow lane of Interstate 5, hitting every expansion joint and having them jolt my back as 18 wheelers passed me, I did get 66 Mpg in town with it though. While it was still marketable I traded in the BR for the Burgman 400 and never looked back. Best mileage with the Burgman is 71.5

EDIT: To answer the question..the BR was supposed to be the ultimate commuter, it was my third scooter and I was sold on the CVT and just the FUN of scootin. The BR was great in town but on the interstate failed as the ultimate commuter. The full fairing and being a 90 Mph scooter sold me on the Burgman, the Mpg was secondary. I bought it in Nov of '07 before the gas scene exploded/imploded?

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I primarily did the Motorcycle Safety Course to get a small motorbike to use instead of my car commuting to and from work. My instructor urged me to look at scooters instead as I did not like shifting gears. Once I sat on the 400 Burgman that was it, I was sold on them. The 650 was too bulky and big and heavy for me.
Now however it has become a fun thing, the gas prices no longer mean a thing. I go out on the Burgman whenever I feel like it and can spend a whole day riding out and about and having fun. My poor car gets parked more and more all the time. The mileage on the scooter does help a lot but it is the fun element that has kept me on board. Sally.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Got it because of last wifes' need to ride on the back of a m/c. Hadn't ridden since college, and wanted something inexpensive to ride. For medical reasons, I have a hard time shifting, so the Burger was for me. Never thought about the gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
With the current gas prices and knowing what I know now I think I would bought a 400 over a 650. I DO enjoy the extra power and am GLAD to have the 650. Realistically though, the 400 would work fine for my personal commute and use and the additional mpg would be nice. I seriously considered a 400 even when the gas prices were 'reasonable' I went with the 650 out of 'fear' the 400 just wouldn't have quite enough power for me. Had I bought the 400 I have no doubt I would have quickly concluded, dang, I should have bought the 650! :D Even the 650, at times, leaves me wanting just a bit more power. But again, with the current prices, I would once again be smiling on a 400 and thinking, "I done good, sure glad I didn't get that 650."

...you can't win this argument, I've had it with myself a hundred times in my head. 400? 650? What to do! :lol:

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I got the Burgman because I wanted to be able to ride with the better half and enjoy some creature comfort as well. Its a good bike for two up weekending, with the power and fortitude to cruise at highway speeds. The 400 has enough power to get away from the traffic light from the jerks who are crowding you because they are "stuck" behind a scooter. I love seeing them getting samller and smaller in my rearview mirrors! The gas milage was a surprise I had'nt even considered.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
My Burgie really is a compromise as back and hip problems got me on to a scooter instead of another large cruiser, large 850-900 lbs cruisers is just too much weight for me to handle most of the time, although my wife sure would not mind being on a Goldwing or Venture S for maximum passenger comfort. The storage, weather protection, large windscreens capability, nimbleness, maneuvrabily, all around handling and the no shift tranny were all factors in purchasing my Burgie, the smooth and rapid power is also a bonus that you realize and appreciate after you put some mileage on it and get to know your bike.
Fuel mileage has become an incredible bonus with gas here locally being $5.14 a U.S gallon this morning for 87 octane.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
MPG was extreme reason why I bought a scooter. I had a 50cc, was great, but I wanted ''more''. Any trips to places a good distance from my house, and to certain places requiring interstate travel through tunnels would still require the car.

So after about 6 months of 50cc travel, started looking bigger, but wanted to keep MPG good. So my first option was looking at a 250 (The VOG 260 to be exact) did alot of research (Hey! It can do 70! perfect) then it dawned on me that 70 is the MAX it can do, and I didn't want to be running around with the engine maxxed out, wouldn't last long.

So I looked 1 step up from that which was the 400. Which left me with 2 options, Majesty and Burgman. After doing some comparisons, sitting on both bikes, and personal tastes, choose the Burgman 400 due to better MPG, more storage, and IMHO better looks.

I did a little research on the 650, but the MPG of it kinda turned me away. If I wasn't as concerned with MPG, probably would have gone with the 650, and later on down the road, I might switch over to a 650... until then, 400 it is for me :cheers:

·
Registered
501 Posts
MPG was one of several reasons I chose to get a 2-wheel ride. After a lot of research and feedback, I was down to two scooters, the Silverwing and the 650 Exec. The major factor limiting it to those two was ABS, which I consider a necessity. They are the only maxi-scoots I'm aware with that feature. I know others don't agree with me, but I'll ride my own ride.

Once I got a chance to sit on each of them in a showroom, the choice was made, I wanted the Exec. The Honda just didn't fit me very well, it was a relatively uncomfortable seating position. Then I got really lucky when my dealer called me and said they had an Exec for me. I was at the point where my only choice was to wait for the '09's (until that phone call).

Couldn't be happier now. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts