Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Did I test drive a defective Spyder?

978 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Wes_Ingram 
#1 ·
So, my wife and I were out for a ride when I realized we were to pass a Spyder dealer. I decided to pull in and see about a test ride. I was completely surprised by the steering. With the engine running and standing still, I could not turn the front wheels. The dealer has a huge parking lot and limits ride to it. That wasn't much of an issue as 25-30 was ok. I was surprised at how hard it was to steer. My shoulders actually hurt after 10 minutes.

I find it hard to believe this was normal. I thought Spyders have power steering, but it seems not to be so and was IMHO sorely missing.

#2 ·
COPIED THIS FROM A m/c MAGAZINE TEST DRIVE................

"For a motorcyclist, one of the oddest sensations you experience aboard the Spyder is during cornering. As opposed to a motorcycle, in which you counter-steer to initiate a turn, the Spyder requires you to do the opposite. If you’ve ever ridden an ATV, snowmobile, or a Jet Ski, than you’ll be familiar with the way it feels when you turn, and, if you’ve never touched a motorcycle you’ll probably have an easier time acclimating to its turning manners (old habits are hard to break). Nonetheless, its power steering system makes maneuvering the Spyder easy regardless of speed, or even upper body strength. Just a light touch of the handlebars is all it takes for it to change direction. "

:?: :?:

#3 ·
Maybe the power steering was not working or if you have never ridden a vehicle with
bars that does not lean and you are used to riding one that does your brain takes some
time to adjust, after all is on two wheel and you just turn the bars without leaning your
off, if you get chance to ride it again as you try to turn lean your body off the side
this cons your brain and you can turn as if by magic, from then on you can
quickly retrain your instincts.

#4 ·
Spiders have had many issues with steering.
Some will lock up when turned all the way to one side and then it is like you lost your power steering from there
Very nice looking tricycle but I would never risk riding one on the road.

#5 ·
The failure of the power steering unit is a long running problem on Spyders. Sometimes it is just hard to turn, other times it may kick back in the opposite direction that you are trying to turn. Does this happen to all of them, no, but I have seen lots of folks that did have problems. Cycle World had to put their Long Term Test Unit in 2011 in the shop to have the unit replaced. I had read of a woman who was riding the Tail of the Dragon when hers went out. She managed not to run off the road and was able to limp it back to safety, buit she was very shook up. These things are scary! If you want 3 wheels, buy a trike.
Just my $.02.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.