Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..I recently started riding again after a 5 mph "encounter" on my Virago with the rear of a Lincoln Town Car last year, that left the inside of my knee scrambled . Apparently, directional signals on Lincolns aren't standard equipment. Who knew? Anyway, in preparation to ride again, I cleaned the air filter and decided to clean the intake as well. I sprayed Berkebile 2+2 gum cutter in the intake in small bursts while it was running. It runs ok, (it's always had an occasional sputter) but now idles at 2k rpm. Any suggestions? Can I just adjust the idle? It's an '06 400. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
How dirty was the air cleaner? I just replaced mine too and I was able to adjust the idle speed quite a bit. Try that and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
14,259 Posts
If it is running good I would just reset the idle and ride it.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I bet some trash ended up down in/by the Idle adjustment screw.
I would remove the adjustment screw fully and spray it and the area with your "gum cutter" or any throttle body cleaner.
Then put it back and reset the idle.
Your performance will be improved no matter what condition the rest of the bike is in. ;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Speaking of which, Steve, since mine 'chugs' when it is first started and during the first 20 minutes of it running, do you think it would have anything to do with the Idle Adjustment? Before it 'warms up' the idle seems top be at around 1K, but once it warms up it smooths out at about 1400. It is frustrating for the first 20 minutes. I do use Seafoam at every fill up but the problem persists. Would it be any better to spray gum cutter into the intake directly?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I prefer to spray a good throttle body cleaner into the the adjustment screw opening. Spraying in the intake works but I feel it helps any plastic/rubber it touches dry rot faster. It is just too harsh for that stuff in my opinion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the idle adjustment screw the larger brass colored one that takes a flat blade screwdriver? It has a tiny phillips "set" screw looking one at the top? I'm assuming if I take it out to clean it, I should count the turns, so it can be put back in approximately the same place.
Sorry for the stupid questions, but I really haven't had to do any work on my scoot until now other than oil changes and brakes.
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks scooterino. Removing that screw and cleaning the schmutz out seems to have helped. For a while after I cleaned it out, it was a crapshoot as to where the idle would be whenever I stopped at a light. Then it was about a 50/50 chance it would be where it should be. Now it's almost dead on 1,500-1,700 rpm (give or take).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts