Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode around 300 miles today.

I recorded the climb to Little Switzerland, NC on NC 226A.

[youtube:1vwdmkdi]wfBsV5zf35A&feature[/youtube:1vwdmkdi]

I still haven't figured out where I want my GoPro. On the helmet causes too much wind resistance. Chest mount gets too much dash, and not enough of the road ahead. I don't like bike mount - I prefer rider perspective. Maybe I'll try under my chin next...

If you want to skip ahead to where it gets really twisty, go to 5:10. You can see me reach up to my GPS and zoom in so I can have a better look at what the turns are like coming up!

Anyway, enjoy.

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Nice, looks like a fun road but then a lot of roads in that area are fun roads :thumbup: .

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - that road is only 2 hours away from me now. I can include it, parts of the BRP and other twisty roads in an easy 300mi day with lots of stops.

I love living here.

·
Registered
186 Posts
From Albemarle NC I take 52North to Salisbury and then 601 past Catawba college to Hwy 421. Then 421 to Highway 21 through Jonesville and Elkin and pass through Sparta on to independence VA and on my last trip turned around at a very scenic Store between Independence and Wythville VA. Then I came back to Sparta and hit Highway 18 back to North Wilkesboro and that too was a nice curvy road. If you have not ridden these roads you should. I try to stay off of interstates but if you don't mind them you could hit I77N to 21 and head to Sparta from Charlotte. My wife and I rode a little over 300 miles on my last trip that way.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I went down with a friend and the MP3 group to Little Switzerland a few months ago and we road the [email protected]% out of 226A it is a blast. Very little traffic on the rode and just beautiful. Watching this video got my heart racing again. I cant wait until next month and the FOF, not the same area but the same region, who knows maybe we will find our way back to the Diamondback.

Deedah.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad you had a nice ride Friday. Great video.

A small group of us from Charlotte (2 burgmans and 1 silverwing) rode up Saturday to Little Switzerland via Highway 80 (Devils Whip) and the parkway. Had bbq at Old HamptonStore in Linville. We ride 226A often, as well as 80. A real nice ride is to go up to the parkway on Hwy 80, Devils Whip, then take the parkway to little Switzerland, and head back down 226A. That loop will really get the old heart pumping!!!

There are quite a few burgmans and a silverwing from the Charlotte area that regularly ride together. As a matter of fact, we have an unofficial name, the BBC, and depending on the time of day, that is the Burgman BBQ Club OR the Burgman Breakfast Club.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Patrick. I was supposed to go with you guys. I'm Eddie.

Anyway, I installed an alarm system + camera system at my in-laws place of business. He had a break-in on one of his trailers. He called the police when he discovered Saturday morning... He needed me to queue up the camera footage for the police. That's why I emailed Sat morning to cancel.

Maybe next time!

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Just a stupid question: do you have a speed healer, or is your speedo the standard 8-10% off? Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have a speedo healer.

I try to keep 5 (actual) over the speed limit. You see in the 40mph sections, I try to keep 50 indicated which is 45 actual (GPS). It's a well known fact that police officers don't ticket until around 7-10 over. I have a relative and two friends on the force in three different states who have confirmed this. So 5 over is my MO about everywhere I ride (or drive for that matter).

I also ignore advisory speed limits (the yellow signs with black letters/numbers). All officers I have ever spoken with state those limits are not enforced - but only *may* come into play during accident investigations.

You could take that road faster if you run the corners faster than you can see/stop. There's so much vegetation, it's hard to see the exit on all the corners. I've seen many riders on that route going far faster than they can see/stop. That kind of behavior is okay at a track... I've outgrown that behavior on public roads.

But, when I can see entry, apex, and exit - I try to take the corner as fast as I can - up to 5 over the regulatory speed limit.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve H. said:
From Albemarle NC I take 52North to Salisbury and then 601 past Catawba college to Hwy 421. Then 421 to Highway 21 through Jonesville and Elkin and pass through Sparta on to independence VA and on my last trip turned around at a very scenic Store between Independence and Wythville VA. Then I came back to Sparta and hit Highway 18 back to North Wilkesboro and that too was a nice curvy road. If you have not ridden these roads you should. I try to stay off of interstates but if you don't mind them you could hit I77N to 21 and head to Sparta from Charlotte. My wife and I rode a little over 300 miles on my last trip that way.
If you ever want a shadow - PM me. :wink:

·
Registered
186 Posts
It sounds like you might dust a 47 year old conservative like myself in the curves but I appreciate the offer and I will keep it in mind. After the last trip with my wife I am considering a GL1800 for comfort but I love my Burgman and I am afraid that I will regret the change for my daily commute. I will also miss the MPGs I get being 50-53 consistently. I really do not want 2 motorcycles because of the cost of insurance/tag/tax/maint etc. I need to get off the stump and decide but I am leaning toward staying where I am with my 09 Exec.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I hear you.

I have been playing around with the idea of going 'wing in 5 years or so - when I think my boy is old enough to start riding with me... I don't particularly care for the bike other than these facts: 1. It is a Honda and; 2. It has the best back seat - BAR NONE. If you want a passenger, and really care for their comfort/safety, 'wing is the only way to go.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am still hung up on buying a bike for 3% of my riding for my wife's comfort vs keeping the best commuter bike I have ever owned. I just returned from Biscoe for lunch and Gasoline has jumped $.20/gallon to $3.95 and I know it is "because of the hurricane" or the way I like to put it the price jump was "because they can". In that moment of seeing the sign my inclination is to stay where I am. I also have a Suzuki SEP till 7/2014 and I am the 2nd owner so it is not transferable to the new owner. I need to ride it out. But I also don't always do what I "need" to do.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Looks like a great ride! Thanks for sharing! There are so many roads with similar challenges in this part of the country, it's hard to decide sometimes.
Thanks again.
Y'all ride safe! :thumbup:
Wes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts