Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2700mi on my 2011 (bought used) and got a flat on the rear. I plugged it but noticed I still have a slow leak. I figured if I was going to replace it, might as well try a CT on it. I'll keep the old one and patch it from the inside.

What tire is recommended? Best place to purchase and more importantly, any DFW tire shops someone can recommend to install?

I ride 2 up about 40% of the time but both me and the wife are lightweights.
Mostly city commuting but I will hit the twisties on the weekend.

Yeah I did a search and have read a couple darkside topics but figured it was easier to just ask.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The Federal Formoza FD1 165/60R14 works for me. Some guys are putting the Formoza on in the 65 series - its a tad taller but doesn't seem to rub on the inner fender.

·
Administrator
18,723 Posts
I am running a old Bridgestone Potenza 165/65 SR 14 mounted on my 03 650's rim that has been on 3 Burgmans now. I have a 155/65 HR 14 Federal Formosa FD2 on my rim for my 08 but it has a hole that just plugged. I get my tires from www.Tire-easy.com

155/65 HR 14 is about the same size diameter as the OEM BattleAx motorcycle tire.

165/60 HR 14 is a bit taller

165/65 SR 14 is quite a bit taller and will make the speedo almost exactly right on but the Odo will be wrong.

185/60 HR 14 is MUCH taller and will require grinding the swingarm for clearence.

The tough part is finding someplace to mount it. Then the hard part is getting it mounted.

Never ride on a partially mounted tire. If they can not get the beads seated do not think that maybe a short ride will help seat it. It will most likely unseat and you will crash.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I'm running the Federal FORMOZA FD1 165/60R14 75H BSW. Bought from tire easy.com
Most on this site are running that tire. As Dave_J said there are others that will work.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

I was hoping a DFW guy had already gone to the Darkside.
Maybe I need to hit a Wing forum to locate a tire shop here. :D

I'll go with the Formoza closest to the OEM tire.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Sharkey, I'm really enjoying my 650 Burgman, still hope to run into you at a TWT Tuesday MG&E as soon as the weather warns up. Me a Piglet go for a ride on nice days, he really like my Burgman and talks of selling his Goldwing and getting one. Good luck on the Darkside.

John

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Hi Sharkey, I'm really enjoying my 650 Burgman, still hope to run into you at a TWT Tuesday MG&E as soon as the weather warns up..........John
Y'all got a Pie Run coming up in a couple of weeks
at the Koffee Kup down in Hico.......:thumbright:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Sharkey, I'm really enjoying my 650 Burgman, still hope to run into you at a TWT Tuesday MG&E as soon as the weather warns up. Me a Piglet go for a ride on nice days, he really like my Burgman and talks of selling his Goldwing and getting one. Good luck on the Darkside.

John

Yeah Don told me about your purchase at Al's Hamburgers. A nice Tues and well meet up and I'll get to look at yours. A buddy I work with bought one just like mine. It was funny, he was telling me about it and I said - hey that sounds just like the one I have. :p

I've done a few pie runs Duster but they are few and far between. I know I'm the minority but I'm not a fan of the Koffee Kup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I either read or heard somewhere that those tire changers didn't work very well. I've been thinking of getting one but have been hesitant due to the negative things I've heard. Guess I may have to make the investment since I'll be coming over to the darkside soon as well.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered the 165/60/14 last night from tire-easy.com

A local shop I've used in the past has agreed to put it on. He said he's put CT on GW before.

I'll post up after it goes on and I get a hundred miles on it or so.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well a funny thing happened in the process. I canceled the order because I found a deal on this.

I decided to go back to ST. The suspension was driving me crazy on the Burgman. Drove 300mi to go get it and the FJR is smoother than my 919. It is a beast though and I need to work on the seat height. Adding some sliders and bag protectors this week. Shifting with the AE model is pretty sweet.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Saw this tire on the back of an FJR at last Saturdays TWTex Pie Run. Didn't get a chance to talk to the owner though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I am running a old Bridgestone Potenza 165/65 SR 14 mounted on my 03 650's rim that has been on 3 Burgmans now. I have a 155/65 HR 14 Federal Formosa FD2 on my rim for my 08 but it has a hole that just plugged. I get my tires from www.Tire-easy.com

155/65 HR 14 is about the same size diameter as the OEM BattleAx motorcycle tire.

165/60 HR 14 is a bit taller

165/65 SR 14 is quite a bit taller and will make the speedo almost exactly right on but the Odo will be wrong.

185/60 HR 14 is MUCH taller and will require grinding the swingarm for clearence.

The tough part is finding someplace to mount it. Then the hard part is getting it mounted.
DaveJ who seems to have much better luck with tires than scooters.:D
I tried the Formosa but after experimenting with psi, went back to my Potenza.
Ride seems smoother and better cornering for me.
good luck.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Saw this tire on the back of an FJR at last Saturdays TWTex Pie Run. Didn't get a chance to talk to the owner though.

I actually drove by you guys Sat. on the way down to go pick the FJR up. I'll see how long a tire lasts on the FJR before I consider dark siding. I rode Hwy 16 from Kerville to Fredicksburg and FM1431 from Marble Falls to Round Rock on the return home. I got the AE model and think it's great. Don't know why they weren't more popular. Smoother than my 919 but turn in on the FJR takes more effort than the 919 or the scooter.

The suspension on the scooter was rough or maybe I'm just getting old but that was the main reason for the trade. Gonna do some Farkling and have an upholsterer modify the seat to get me a lil' lower to the ground.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Federal Formoza FD1 165/60R14 I think is not available here in the U.K. Can anyone suggest a tyre that is available here, I would like to try one when the original needs replacing. Has anyone from the U.K. Gone darkside and what tyre have you fitted?. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts