Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday I will probably be trading in my 400 for a new 650. The Dealer called a couple days ago and said the silver 650 had arrived in a crate, the first one they have recieved this year.

How do I determine what model it is? I read a thread where a dealer made a mistake, and I was just wondering.
-Hal

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hello Hal.

You've echoed my thoughts. I took delivery of my new 650 K4 yesterday and although it's brand, spanking new, I realised that I had no idea whether it was the latest UK model or not :?

[BTW are you THE Hal from the X9 Club, by any chance? If so, it's a small world!]

I hope you enjoy the Big Burger - I'm sure you will. After my first ride yesterday, I was totally hooked. It's superb!

:)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
First way I would check is to look in the rad area for the VIN # It also has a manufactured date in there. To locate stant in front of the bike and look into the front rad cavity area , on your left side on the frame you should see the sticker/plate with the info.

For quicker identification. Looking again at the front of the bike you will see a body panel similar to a V shape that seperates the two front lights. If this panel is the same colour as the rest of the machine then you are looking at an '05. To further verify this, look at the turn signals on the mirrors. If they are clear plastic then again its an '05.

The '03 and '04 both come with that V panel between the lights in black, which reminds me . If the machine you are looking at is black then its an '04 as this was the only year that it came in that colour and its turn signal lenses will be orange.

Lets say your looking at silver model. Available all 3 years in North America. If the V panel matches its 05. If the V panel is black then its an 03 or 04. To differentiate between the 2 go to the kickstand side of the machine and look on the lower body panel. If its an 04 there should be a wedge shaped black plastic piece attached just ahead of the cutout. This is a water spray deflector that was new to the 04 line up.

Those are the quickest and easiest ways to be sure.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Friday's National Post here had a special section on motorcycles.

Big ad on page DT22 by Suzuki for the 'Executive model".
ABS brakes, electric mirrors and powered adjustable windshield. 8)

No mention of overdrive though. :cry:

Going to take the ad down to my dealers and see what's what.

Bet they don't even know about it yet. :wink:

To quote the newspaper ad.

"With a new electronically adjustable windscreen, the Burgman 650 Executive is the ultimate in open air transportation both in the city and on the open road. Creature comforts include: The world's largest displacement scooter. The first production two-wheel vehicle with SECVT automatic transmission. ABS equipped dual front disc brakes for added safety. The convenience of electronically foldable mirrors and a standard passenger backrest. The Burgman 650 Executive. Taking 2 wheel transportation in a whole new direction."

So if this is to be believed the mirrors and the windscreen are powered.

If it only had overdrive it would be perfect! :)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Like what's already been noted.....it's real quick, real easy. 05's have clear front turn signal lenses and a front fairing that is color matched.

By the way - stupid inquiry, but, saving the calories involved with searching the forum...doesn't the regular K5 650 in fact have an electrically adjustable windscreen? (not just the executive...)

VR,
Lazy Pete

·
Registered
128 Posts
What Model Year

We were told at the Chicago bike show that the US modles did not have an electric adjust on the windshield but it was manual, requiring the same procedure to adjust as if you were changing a windshield :)

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Just got back from my dealers.
He was surprised to hear about the Executive being available in Canada.

He is going to try and get me one. Pretty sure he can. :D
He called up the Suzuki Canada rep immediately and checked for me.

Sounds like I'm lucky enough to have one of those good dealers we keep reading (not often enough), about.
http://www.cyclecity.on.ca
Good people.

Fingers crossed.
Hopefully, 2005 an650 Executive, blue.
passenger backrest, electric mirrors, electric adjustable windsheild, ABS brakes.
Woo hoo :D :D

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
As they say ....all good things come to those that wait.

'Speakin of wait....I can't wait to hear about when you're "saddled up" Rick.

It's just getting about the right time of year too.

Tell us 'bout 'dem new boots cat! R they for stylin' or ridin'?

-pete

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Pete said:
As they say ....all good things come to those that wait.

'Speakin of wait....I can't wait to hear about when you're "saddled up" dude.

It's just getting about the right time of year too.

Tell us 'bout 'dem new boots cat! R they for stylin' or ridin'?

-pete
Both sort of.

They are made by Martino in Canada.

About 10" high full lace down front, ankle strap, reinforced toe pads on both boots?, good high heel and thick sole for my reach problem, real soft comfortble black leather, very light (like a pair of Rockport shoes), and comfortable. AND, they have a hidden zipper on the inside for quick "oning" and "offing"

Look tough, but wear like a pair of slippers. :wink:

$170.00 -15% discount because I bought my scooter there.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
sound like nice, comfy zappatos :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, I am the Hal from the X9 group. I still love that scoot. and ride it almost daily.

It's all kind of convuluted, how I would up having an X9 and a Burgman. I've concluded my preference is mainly a style issue; within small margins I think the X9 and Burgman 400 are equally excellent.

I read the Burgman thread about the 400 vs the 650 and there was discussion about weight carrying capacity. I plan on the 650 being the long distance tourer. I tentatively plan a trip from California to Georgia sometime this spring; the extra power and capacity of the 650 may come in handy.

Thanks so much for all the information. I'm printing it out and taking it with me to the dealer.
-Hal

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if Suzuki would just update their website once in a while so it actually tells us something about current models and accessories? :cry:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
lilleyen said:
Wouldn't it be great if Suzuki would just update their website once in a while so it actually tells us something about current models and accessories? :cry:
Don't hold your breath. The last time I looked, the US Website said the AN650K3 is "shaft driven." :?

·
Registered
19 Posts
chiefkeefe said:
Hello Hal.

You've echoed my thoughts. I took delivery of my new 650 K4 yesterday and although it's brand, spanking new, I realised that I had no idea whether it was the latest UK model or not :?

[BTW are you THE Hal from the X9 Club, by any chance? If so, it's a small world!]

I hope you enjoy the Big Burger - I'm sure you will. After my first ride yesterday, I was totally hooked. It's superb!

:)
have you just gone from the x9 to the burgman cos I am looking at doing that because I cant get parts for the x9
debs

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi Debs.

Yes, I've owned two X9s in the past year or so, the 500SL and the Evo500, both being absolutely fantastic machines. I toured the UK last October, two-up, and was thrilled at the ease with which the Piaggio dealt with my huge mass and all the extras we threw at it. Sadly, I discovered that I'd been overloading the thing so allowed myself to look for a stronger alternative. Enter 'Arnie', a magnificent beast if ever there was one! It's early days, but I've come to think of the 650 as "An X9, only more so".

[Oh, and just a thought: you wouldn't happen to be the NZ Debs whose X9 was reversed over by a truck, are you? Laurie's friend? Just a shot in the dark!!! :wink: ]

Hope this helps.

Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'am keeping the X9. I have the new '05 650 since yesterday but I'm regretting the purchase. I've posted a help question about the 650 - it has a whistle noise at speeds above 28mph. The dealer (who is 250 miles away), and Suzuki retail customer support telephone line have been no help. They expect me to take the bike back to the dealer to confirm the problem actually exists, rather than giving me any information on the phone.

If I'd known I'd be treated this way I'd have never considered buying the 650!

As for the bike itself, it is definietly bigger, heavier feeling, and more powerful than the X9. It feels taller than the X9 when you sit on it. This burgie has unpleasant transmission noises (different than the AN400 and X9) that caused me to pull over to the side of the road to try and check the transmission oil level (no luck - there is no transmission dipstick). It gave 46mpg on the trip home from Los Angeles to Fresno, which I consider very good. It is not as comfortable as the X9 on a trip this long. On the up side the Burgie will carry more weight., and the extra power is handy on the freeway ( the main reason I traded in the AN400).

If I can figure out how to cure the whistle problem and I can put some more padding in the seat maybe it will all turn out all right. Otherwise I suspect it'll sit in the garage and be used very little.

So far I'm very disappointed, mainly because of the dealer and Suzuki .
-Hal

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
halddd said:
This burgie has unpleasant transmission noises (different than the AN400 and X9) that caused me to pull over to the side of the road to try and check the transmission oil level (no luck - there is no transmission dipstick)....
The AN650 is gear driven. The noise you probably hear -- what we frequently call the "650 diesel sound" -- is normal, and is caused by "backlash" in the gears when idling. There is also a gear whine when decelerating. Nothing to worry about, and you'll soon not even notice it.

The windshield whistle is a problem that some, but not all, 650 owners have reported. Use the search button at the top of this page to look for posts about it, including easy "cures."

Some people have added more padding, and even gel pads, to their seats and then recovered them. Others like the firm seating as it is. It's really a preference thing. LOTS of people have added Corbin and other custom seats -- not just to Burgmans, but to all bikes; it and windshields are the most frequently modified items becasue no two riders are alike.

Browse the forums or use the search again and you'll find lots of ideas for changing the seat, removing the "butt stop," reupholstering, etc.

Please give the 650 a chance, and try not to compare it with other bikes until you've gotten to know its unique characteristics for a while.

If you still don't like it, give me a call. I'll gladly accept gifts of this kind. :wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. The noise is gear noise. I was directed to some other posts that talk about the whistle and how to fix it, also checking transmission oil. It was helpful.
-Hal

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"There is also a gear whine when decelerating."
I wanted to mention the whine occurs when accelerating and is constant at speed. The sound frequency of the whine rises as speed increases; the whine is always there. Is this really normal?
-Hal

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi Hal

I too have a X9 (which I'm hoping to sell in a few days' time). Your comparisons ring true, the X9's saddle being more comfortable than the 650's. Even then, I felt driven to use my AirHawk over long distances, and will probably end up doing likewise on the Burger.

I've just completed 330 miles on the Burger and it's really growing on me. It's true: initial comparisons seemed to highlight the X9's user-friendliness, but I can assure you that after your first long-ish ride you'll be praising the turbine-like smoothness, effortless acceleration and, of course, the added 'strength' that the 650 gives you.

I do miss the X9's exhaust note, however. IMHO you can't beat the noise of a well-fuelled single cylinder engine, and the X9's punch as you ride out of corners and bends is very impressive.

But in all honesty, I think that you'll get used to the 650 and (I hope) grow to love it.

Enjoy what you ride anyway, Hal!

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts