Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With most of the surfaces on the bergman are of a matte plastic finish what is the best protectant to use on these surfaces?

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Lemon Pledge wax and a micro fiber cloth is all I use on most of the plastic/abs .

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Lots of products out there but I haven't found anything that beats the bang for the buck that Pledge provides. Us it on all the plastic on my scoots including the windshield and the painted parts.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
This been discuss here many time in past, search function is your friend.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Lemon Pledge wax and a micro fiber cloth is all I use on most of the plastic/abs .
Dollar Store furniture polish. Seriously. Works great on everything. Plastic, vinal, mirrors, windshield. I don't use anything else. However, I found the lemon one dried things out. I use the floral scent.

And... It only costs a dollar.

View attachment 30498

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dollar Store furniture polish. Seriously. Works great on everything. Plastic, vinal, mirrors, windshield. I don't use anything else. However, I found the lemon one dried things out. I use the floral scent.

And... It only costs a dollar.

View attachment 30498
I'll have to give this a try. I've been buying Behold spray furniture polish for $2 at Dollar General (cheaper than the Lemon Pledge and a heck of a lot cheaper than Honda spray polish)- use it on the Burgman, FJR1300 and the RV.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
This been discuss here many time in past, search function is your friend.
I like to think of these fine folks as my friends, not the search function.
I'm headed to the Dollar store tomorrow...thanks for the advice. ;-)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Best not to use furniture polish on the headlight lens. It can cause them to craze or crack over time. The solvent in them degrades the plastic surface on those lens. But it's fine for everywhere else. Yes, I know lots of you might have used it on the lenses for sometime but keep using it and watch what happens. There's stuff on the interweb about it.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
It's probably the heat from the lamps that causes the pledge to that.

I only use pledge on my windscreen, it works great for that.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Best not to use furniture polish on the headlight lens. It can cause them to craze or crack over time. The solvent in them degrades the plastic surface on those lens. But it's fine for everywhere else. Yes, I know lots of you might have used it on the lenses for sometime but keep using it and watch what happens. There's stuff on the interweb about it.
If it does then it must take a very long time. I'm over 7 years using Pledge on the headlight lenses on both my 650 and my 400 and they don't show any sign of even beginning to craze or crack. Still bright, clear and smooth. At that rate I think the lenses will outlast the bike. With the miles I put on my bikes they see a lot of cleaning and have had a lot of Pledge sprayed on them. I'll put the stuff on the interweb down to urban legend or folks assigning blame to the wrong culprit.

·
Registered
735 Posts
UV from the sun is much more likely to damage the headlight lenses than anything else, other than a previous owner trying to clean off dried bugs using a Scotchbrite pad. 3M's headlight restoration kit worked wonders on that lens BTW. It's not factory-new-perfect but when I coat the lenses with 303 Aerospace Protectant then I can't tell the difference. Great product to protect the matte plastics from the sun BTW.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I am surprised that the Burger's paint hasn't noticeably faded so as I can tell because it is outside and uncovered for most of the year. I do cover it at night in the dead of winter so as to keep ice and frost off of it. It sits curbside; I don't have a garage.
I wash and wax with Meguiar's GoldClass Carnuba Plus paste wax in October and the next time it gets any treatment is in the Spring when I do the same thing. I also use Mothers VLR on the black tupperware. It keeps the white off. I have the Pledge and use it on the wind screen. I like how it beads up the rain drops and lets the wind blow it off but it needs to be applied often. On my helmet visor I use a tiny amount of pledge or it tends to distort my vision. I have not figured out what to use on the headlights yet but they are still crystal clear and virtually unpitted after only 10k miles.
My problem is keeping the salt off the brake calipers. I was in them today and see a lot of corrosion.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Plexus is the BEST product for the entire scooter. I buy it online. The other stuff mentioned here works well also.
I bought a product in Australia called VuPlex, but I think it's an American product. I haven't used much of it.

Shall I spring for some Plexus, or is VuPlex the same stuff in a different can?

At long last I am starting to take better care of my Burgman. Regular servicing or additional accessories to the bike can cost serious money, but keeping the bike clean can be dome cheaply.

Is it more about perspiration than the amount you spend on products?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If it does then it must take a very long time. I'm over 7 years using Pledge on the headlight lenses on both my 650 and my 400 and they don't show any sign of even beginning to craze or crack. Still bright, clear and smooth. At that rate I think the lenses will outlast the bike. With the miles I put on my bikes they see a lot of cleaning and have had a lot of Pledge sprayed on them. I'll put the stuff on the interweb down to urban legend or folks assigning blame to the wrong culprit.
Yeah...you probably right Buffalo. I think then the Burgman plastic lens are not of the same type/makeup as the lens on my GSX1400. These can become very crazed after relatively small time periods with Pledge being used on them. The GSX is a naked bike with a single headlight. It's the solvent action in the Pledge that seems to be the culprit though. Loads on the net about it and why pledge does this. If you have been using it regularly on your Burgy for seven years without problems, it's not going to happen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts