Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have been researching and comparing the Burgman 400, 650, and Honda Silverwing for about 6 months. I tend to think I would be pleased with the Burgman 650 from all that I have read.
My dilemma is I can't find any dealer in Southern California that will let me demo/test ride any of these. I'm 37 with great credit, never been in an accident, haven't had a ticket for 15 years, have great auto insurance, and I'm going to pay cash for which ever cycle I do purchase...and still I'm treated as though I have the plague.
One salesman told me "Oh everyone says the Burgman is better than the Silverwing" ...I replied how would you or anyone else know unless they could ride both and test them...he didn't know what to say to that. You just have to love those salesman. I then pointed out to him, I bought a $50,000 car just a year ago...and they let me test drive 3 of them before I bought it, but he wouldn't let me test drive an $7000 Scooter. There is no way I will ever buy a car, motorcycle or scooter without first driving one...therein lies my dilemma.
Can anyone help me with a dealer or dealers that will let a person do a 10 minute demo/test drive on the Burgmans, and/or Silver Wing in Southern California? I pretty much have my mind made up on buying the Burgman 650...but I would like to be sure.
I admit I'm a newbie I've only had my license 6 months, permit for 6 months before that...been driving a Yamaha Riva 200 that was my fathers before he passed away, and I just wanted to move up to something I could ride safely on the freeways ever so often with my wife as passenger.
Thank you all for your advice and help in advance,

James in Corona Calif.

Oh yeah and all my friends think I'm crazy for even considering spending $7000 on a scooter :lol:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi james the only thing I can think of is contacting the Suzki dealers and ask them when and where they are holding there demo days. Then you will get your chance to ride a few of there bikes.
The only other option is to try and find a local burger owner in your area and see if they are willing.

·
Registered
308 Posts
amen

The point about ridinf for at least 1-2k before taking a passenger is appropos; I say an MSF course too for older first-time riders.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hey JamesInCorona, I couldn't agree with abm more. If you're new to biking or are an experienced rider just getting back into the sport, take the MSF course! You'll learn as much in the course in 16-18 hours as you would riding on your own for 2 years. And, it's on their bikes.
As far as carrying a passenger, as an instructor in PA's program we usually recommended getting a years experience under your belt before taking the responsibility of carrying another person. It's one thing for you to assume the risk of riding on the roads with limited experience on two wheels and it's quite another thing to risk someone elses safety until you have developed your skills and abilities on public roads.
Hope you can arrange a test ride soon. I don't think you'll regret buying a 650. Good Luck! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for all of your suggestions...but just to let you know I took a MSF course before I even got my license. I wanted to start out what I think is the right way...and after the course it even made me more favorable in thinking that is should be mandatory by law that everyone must take a MSF course. Its a great experience.
Also I was never going to go buy a Burgman or Silver Wing and start driving the next day two up...I thought probably after 6 months or so of driving almost everday I would start driving 2 up just around town.
Again thank you for you advice, but it still didn't help me find a demo ride. I called multiple times to Honda and Suziki, no demo events or they were on the east coast...living in So Calif that was a little too much.
I then emailed around 20 Suzuki dealers, of that about 5 replied back. Only 1 dealer in Northern Calif allowed demo rides and had a Burgman in stock. It was just too far away, never made it up there.
No one needs to further make any posts here, I've given up buying a scooter (Burgman or Silver Wing)...no one gives demo rides on anything and as I said before I'll never buy anything without first driving it, and I'm sick of going out of my way to try and find a dealer who will work with me. It's been 6 months, and a big waste of time. What I found most upsetting is that 95% of all the dealers I called and visited just laughed at me for wanting a Burgman...thats if they even knew anything about them. Remarks like "We don't really ever have those in stock" "They aren't big sellers"...leaves me thinking 'Maybe if you keep them in stock and give postive feedback to riders wanting to buy one' more people would purchase Burgmans.
For now, I'll just keep driving around town on my Riva 200 and dreaming of a Burgman someday. :cry:
Good/Safe riding to all of you, and thanks for your advice...

James In Corona

·
Registered
793 Posts
James,

Just because some dealers want to run their scooter sections like a
Sears Catalog Store, it's not the end.

Look at this from the dealers viewpoint for a second:

1. Dealers don't want to add miles onto a bike (scooter or cycle) and
have the DMV paperwork show New with xx miles on the odometer
reading.

2. Dealers don't always have a dealer plate for customers or business
insurance that covers loss for a demo ride gone awry.

3. Dealers that don't have gross sales figures comparable to auto sales
dealers have difficulty keeping stock of both Demo along with New units.

4. Dealers don't want to take the chance of having a demo bike with miles
on it, be turned down for a sale because of the odometer.
It costs dealers to buy and insure floor units. They don't want to run
a museum with their own money. Having to take a loss on the sale of a
demo unit is money lost for good.

5. The cost of having a demo bike constantly evaluated for scratches and
dirt, every time the bike returns from a no sale ride costs more money.

---

Everyone here has bought their Burgy's without knowing in advance how
it handles in actual situations. That's okay.
It sounds like you're getting peer grouped on your choices in the first
place. Tell them to take a dip and go out and get what you want.

My only suggestions would be to make sure your feet are flat on the ground
with either choice. Pull the bike back and forth with the handlebars
to get a feel for its mass right on the showroom floor.
That's all it took me. Don't let pushy friends and sales people steer you
away from what feels right.
The Burgman 400 or 650 Will Not ride smoothly on washboarded dirt
or gravel roads no matter how you demo ride them.
The rest is easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts