Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of my new blue 650 K5 on Saturday 3/19/05. It was a day of firsts for me and the scoot. After finishing with the dealer in late afternoon it was time to take it home. After weeks of sunny and warm weather Saturday was raining, cool, and as I would find out later windy. Dealer is located in Bellingham, WA. and rather than hop on Interstate 5 heading south I thought it best to take a tour of the less traveled country roads first to get a feel for the bike. So I did a big loop on the east side of the city. Put about 20 miles on it with varying traffic conditions from city streets to country highway. It is a testament to Suzuki’s design and engineering that the scooter is so easy to adjust to. One of the things I was concerned about going into this was the weight and would it feel heavy or bulky? Especially with the 400 available I was concerned whether the extra pounds would be worth it. After a couple of minutes riding that concern melted away. It has a nimble and light feel that requires no manhandling at all, even at speeds just above a walking pace. Unlike some others I prefer little noise from the engine. It starts and runs quietly, just what I wanted. Acceleration is smooth and quick. It is easy to jump up to 60mph without even realizing that you have and without exceeding the 4000 rpm break-in limits. There is plenty of throttle left at 60, much more than I will ever use.
After my loop I got onto I-5 heading south towards home. Rain was light with heavier squalls now and then. I rode on the freeway for 35 miles at indicated speeds up to 62 but never exceeded 4000 rpm. It looked to be running about 3700-3800 at 60. I was expecting to experience the head buffeting that so many have talked about in the forum but was surprised when I had none (I’m 6’ with 32 in. inseam). Maybe it will occur at higher speeds but it will take some testing before I decide that a larger or repositioned screen is needed. About a mile before my planned exit at Sedro-Woolley I was blasted with a side wind that moved me over a good foot or two. I had left the protection of the hills and was getting into flat open fields and the wind was blowing down from the mountains across this plain. It was also raining hard in this area. Being a novice rider that was my first experience with strong cross winds. I don’t like them! Makes me wonder how you guys from places like my native Oklahoma ever get out since it is always blowing there. But at least it is usually a steady wind there and not the sudden gusts I was getting. I was never so glad to see my exit and to be able to slow down. From the I-5 exit I went east to connect with highway 9 south. That road is full of twisties and on a wet day like today much less traffic. It was also more protected from the wind than I-5 though they stayed with me across the flats for another 30 miles. 9 was a perfect choice with hairpin twists as slow as 15 and straight-aways up to 55. The scooter handled it effortlessly. As I neared Woodinville it was dark. I had not intended to ride at night but the afternoon delivery dictated otherwise. During the dusk I did not notice my lights much. However as it started to get darker and particularly when no other vehicles were about I was very surprised to see how well they work. The high beams in particular are outstanding. Better than any of my cars. After making my way through Woodinville and Redmond (15-30 mph city traffic) I headed down the east side of Lake Sammamish. Another road with twists and straights with posted speed limits up to 45. The rain had stopped by now and it was pleasant and clear ride home. I had the dealer to install heated grips but other than that it is stock for the moment. The grips were a blessing today in the rain and temps of 48-53 F. Overdrive never kicked in or at least never indicated such. So I can’t tell you whether it requires higher speeds in normal to work or if it only does so in manual. I would guess since the engine wasn’t working very hard anyway there simply was no reason for it to do so in normal. I put 141 miles on the odometer today and was still pumped when I got home.
Phil

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
EX-cellent post! Wow - what a "christening ride" for you and your new scooterometer! Keep us posted on how that OD thing seems to pan out for you. I'm starting to think that it "activates" only when in the manual mode. We'll see, I am sure my assumption is incorrect. Be careful on those brand new tires!
Pete

·
Registered
605 Posts
You brave soul....I'm just up the road in Vancouver B.C. and I know how miserable the day was. Glad to hear you got home safe and sound. I have yet to get mine on the highway to figure out the OD thingy. I've travelled those very roads many, many times and what a beautiful route to take. Too bad it wasn't sunny and warm. Thanks for the write up.

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Phil that was an excellent post. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Phil,

Thank you for your fine post. It was such a thorough description, I was thinking that it could go in "Road Stories." Best wishes to you in the miles ahead.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Great writeup. I was also impressed by the Burger's great headlights and just how darn easy it is to ride.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Really nice write up Phil. :)

As I'm looking forward to my first ride on my 650 within a handful of weeks, I could feel the excitement in your words.

True the weather could have been better, but as my wife keeps saying" you can't control it, it's just weather"

Glad to hear it all went smoothly for you.

I got a little concerned when you were describing doing the twisties in the rain on brand new slippery tires, but it seems to have worked out OK.

Funny about the overdrive, you'd think at 60, it would have kicked in.
Maybe with the rain and wind, and the scoot being so new, it couldn't quite manage OD, so it didn't. :wink:

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Congratulations on the new Burgman 650 Phil. Once the weather is clear, you'll find the ride even more enjoyable. Just be careful .... that grin from riding the Burgman is tough to hide and you might get stuck with it. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Phil you have my admiration. I picked up my 650 on Aurora Ave on a sunny day last Aug. and rode down to the Southworth ferry and then home to Manchester. Being on a new machine I had more than a little trepidation, especially about I-5 thru Seattle. I got home just fine, actually starting to lean a little more than I should have with new tires, but to think about riding home for the first time in the rain and dark all the way from Bellingham gives me the shudders. Congratulations and if you are ever over on the Peninsula give me a shout.

habu

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hey PhilW,
Where did you get your bike? For how much? So far, I am seeing ranges for the new 05 650 from $6400 to $7800.

As soon as I can get my hands on one, PhilW, Habu55, Brian, Seatec, and others, we need to get together and plan a ride.

Great story Phil. I was thinking to myself that it was days like this weekend that I am glad I have my truck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all, once I dry out and get back out there I will try to update you on OD, mpg, etc.
Phil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts