Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot about the famous dieseling noise. I have a noise only at idle or jut above idiling. I have had several deisel trucks and a mercedes diesel but none made the knocking noise that I have now. It sounds like a rod knocking. The bike is an 03 and has about 4800 miles on it. It starts, runs, and operates perfctly. Is this knocking noise the dieseling noise??

Thanks, Jerry

·
Registered
239 Posts
If it rattles at idle, but quietens down as you accelerate, then it's the infamous "dieseling" alright. Ignore it. Mine's been doing it for 20,000 miles.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Yep. During the riding season I am so used to it that I don't pay any attention to it. But I started mine up in the garage the other day (hadn't had it running for a couple of months). I initially thought something had gone wrong during storage - and then I remembered what the noise was. Slight twist of the throttle and the noise disappeared.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The '05 model (at least the european version) does not have the dieseling noise anymore. Suzuki must have changed something on the transmission......finally!

·
Registered
925 Posts
If they did get rid of the noise i guess people will be happy. Personally I like the sound, gives it character.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Jerry

Welcome to the forum.:hello2:
There is a fix for this but it needs a competent dealer mechanic and Susuki special tools. If you can find a competent then it should be warranty work. :wink:

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
I've read where the fix is only temporary and the sound reoccurs after a lot of riding ... just not as loud as before. The 2005 model is still new enough that I doubt anyone has put on the miles required for the sound to occur. Time will tell if the 05s will 'deisel' at idle.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I've had the "fix" done. It subdues the noise, but does not eliminate it entirely. I was advised that there would still be some noise before they did the job. All the 650s at Scootercade made the "diesel at idle" sound - the "unfixed" ones were a somewhat louder. It has to do with the design of the gear train. Unless they redesigned it for '05, the noise will remain. t I'm thinking the '05s will probably come with the "fix" installed, so the noise will be at the reduced level.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Perhaps we shouldn't call it dieseling anymore as it confuses the uninitiated. Most assume that if there is a diesel sound it is coming from the engine and there is a problem. The reality is that it is a clatter at idle from the drivetrain. A design fault at most, a novelty at best.

Let's call it Burgman clatter.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Well. Now I am curious. Mine isn't giving off any sort of "clatter." However thinking of that prospect is a bit of a downer. The good thing is that I know that I (guess) should expect it to crop up later on.

Which leads to...what the heck is it!?

1. Is it the direct drive cogs rattlin around in their encumbrances(bearings?) & limited space?
2. Is it something that is contacting something that shouldn't be contacting that something? :wink:
3. Does it happen when on the center stand cold/hot or when loaded?
4. Does it happen when it's cold (no tick showing on the temp raster)?
5. Does it pretty much occur all the time, cold or at op-temp, center stand or no center stand?
6. It's not valve train is it?

My previous Zuki's made a lot of noises that my hondas (yes I had an XL125) and cars didn't make. My Pop had a few older diesel autos (ick) before they got slick, smooth and quiet like nowadays....However, I am not too worried about this phenom....

But I guess I should ask...What's the ~cost for "the fix" and what, more closely, to "they do" to "alleviate" the noise? Use heavier gear lube?

Would straight "bologna" pipes allow you to not hear it?! :twisted:

Just kiddin there, but, any "elaborance" would be interesting. (I know theres been other posts about this...but a quick thumbnail answer-ish thing here would be nice.)

Throw us a bone ppl! :)
pedz

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The fix consists of replacing a spacer for one drive gear. This reduces the amount of end play for that gear. The noise is from gear slap when there is no load on the drivetrain. As soon as you rev the engine enough to engage the clutch, the drivetrain has tension on the gears, and the rattling stops. Suzuki would do the fix free under warranty if pressed to do so. They maintain that there is no potential for damage if you do not have the fix done.

The part they replace is very small - I saw the box it came in. The dealer has to buy (or borrow) a special tool from Suzuki to do the job. Interesting to note that they removed the right lower leg shield to do the job, so I suspect it is not a gear contained in the black plastic drive gear housing on the left side of the scooter. My guess is that it is a gear that transfers power from the tranny to the inline drive gearset.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Thanks Pauljz.

hmmmm. Back in the day, my ts50j had a kick start primary gear that screwed up (chipped tooth- it made a BUNCH of clackity clack noise). (yeah I split the case and found out) But it started and ran fine - but it made a lot of racket. Thank gosh it needed a new clutch too. Impact wrenches, lotsa pain and two weekends later I was blowin XR75s off. (sort of - if the dirt raod was long enough! 8) )

hmmmm.

Thanks Pauljo. It's darn sure food for thought. You have any other thoughts about my other numbers/points/questions?

After I wrote that I thought...well...is the direct drive, upon start, getting all of the lubricants it needs? Is the final drive under-engineered?

(cant resist) ding dang dawg gum!!!

tia...pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts