Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to deglaze my clutch. After removing the bell housing..what's next?

Using sand paper? What grit works best?

I'm pretty sure there's probably been threads on this question before,but I was unable to locate them...any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
If shortly -- 80 grit for the pads, >= 150 for the bell. Important (!) to observe level when sanding, appropriate sanding block is recommended. The glazed surface should be removed completely.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I am confused about all the deglazing.

So, for jsut a thought - I comment.

I had some shudder up to first 23K Miles (just never let it bother me that much).

Then after installing Dr Pulley Sliders (19 GM in case you ask) when I changed the belt at around 23K miles, the SHUDDER is gone.

That amazed me also as I can't understand why except gearing is lower at low rpm (speed) than before the sliders. Perhaps that helps the clutch engage quicker. But, it would seem the rear pulley speed for takeoff would be the same with or without the Sliders.

Anyway, I have never felt a need to deglaze.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Paul, it seems like you're a high mileage rider and do a lot highway miles. The glazing really occurs when you take off, so standing starts do the most damage. Also heavy loads affect it negatively. So It is possible, if you're slight slight of stature and doing mostly freeway riding, the glazing may not be developing like many of us.

You also live in FL, not a lot of steep grades or twisties like I ride, I'm guessing. Just consider it a blessing. I just spent an hour or so deglazing mine last night.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Paul, it seems like you're a high mileage rider and do a lot highway miles. The glazing really occurs when you take off, so standing starts do the most damage. Also heavy loads affect it negatively. So It is possible, if you're slight slight of stature and doing mostly freeway riding, the glazing may not be developing like many of us.

You also live in FL, not a lot of steep grades or twisties like I ride, I'm guessing. Just consider it a blessing. I just spent an hour or so deglazing mine last night.
Not close to FL, thanks to fortunes of life for that as Florida 11 curves in 318 miles vs Dragon 318 curves in 11 miles would drive me nuts. :mad: I did live in FL for about 11 years (liked it then because I was golfing and not riding).

I weigh 210 lbs with gear on, carry a number of tools and generally some lunch bag. Mostly ride single, some with wife 130 lbs on double. Mostly ride County Backroads and many Mtn Roads as this is Smoky Mtn National Park & Dragon country (nearly all have hills, curves, many are steep with switch backs, slow speed rural paved and gravel/dirt roads), go thru some traffic and lights getting out of county and errand trips to teh gym, etc. (Think Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, Knoxville TN area), and very few Interstates (only to get to some location say 25 to 50 miles once in awhile to ride an area).

Maybe, I am just lucky and did not have EXTREME SHUDDER as I can't imagine worrying a lot about what I had. I did have it before going to Dr Pulley Sliders, but just did not worry about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts