Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is Friday afternoon I get the back rest put on,go get gassed up and air in the tires. I load a small backpack with a change of clothes and a dap kit.I am ready to visit family 400 mi. to the north and west of St.Louis. Today I get up and ready myself for the days journey. I take my backpack and throw it under the seat of my mighty steed, put the earbuds in, zip my jacket,tighten my chinstrap and fire the 03 650 up. The sun is out, it's 70 degrees, wind out of the south at 10 mph. I fight the traffic on I-70 across the mighty Missouri River till I get to HWY 61N. It is a four lane road that for the most part runs parallel to the Mississippi a mile or so to the west. Smooth as glass with long sweeping turns.I head north. I am motoring along at a very comfortable 60-65 mph, rocking on some Hendrix tunes, the wind at my back. I have about 300 mi. of this before I head west again.I am thinking this is going to be a great ride! My serenity was short live for I soon was starting to hear a high pitched whirling noise? I thought what @#$$ is that? I slowed down. I sped up. No change except in pitch. I shimmied the handle bars, the bike was stable. The noise grew louder, it now had my full attention. I must stop now! there is a overpass just up a head.I pull over underneath it. after I got off the scooter I saw the problem. Diablo had called this Parnelli back to ****. My rear tire was flat. Well, I sat on the guardrail looking at the 650 Burgman in disbelief. My wonderful day has just ended 50 mi south of Hannibal MO. Guess what? There is nothing around for miles and miles. Now trying to carry on a conversation underneath or near a overpass is like talking in a noisy bar with a rock band. Then I find my insurance contact tells me they have no record of roadside assistance on the bike. The devil was after my soul too, like my tire. It was then I succumbed to the darkside and became verbally abusive to some women, who was only trying to help me, while doing the Burgman death dance along the roadside. You know the one. Pacing about, doing circles, cell phone crushed to your face, free arm flailing like a madd Italian trying to accentuate a point of view. But, to who, the road kill that lay about? Got to be the low point of the day, but wait there is more! The lady from road side assistance tells me estimated time of rescue is one hour, I gotta pee. Now of all the places in Missouri to break down.I break down in an area where there is no place to discretely relieve yourself, Oh Well, I sure as heck didn't soil myself. I am sitting on the guardrail drinking hot water, a guy riding a Harley stopped too see if I needed help.I told him help was on the way. We both agreed that flat tires suck and then went on down the road. It wasn't long after that that Jacobson Towing showed up and we loaded the bike and were on our way back to St.Louis. The bike haul was only 87 dollars+ 2.50 per mile after 35 mi.I had him drop the bike and me at the closest zuki shop out side of St.Louis, 34.3 mi. dodged a bullet there. Now for the bike damage. There is a hole about the size of a pencil in the tire. The tire has only 1300 miles on it . It not repairable. New Diablo mounted balanced, 206.00 dollars. At least I get the bearings checked and brake pads also. Well here I am back in my apartment for the weekend, the scooter will not be done til next Friday. The shop did not have my tire in stock and the don't order on weekends,or holidays.But, I do have a standing invite to the Cubs, Cardinal game tomorrow. I think I will take the train in, it has steel wheels.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bummer but at least you didn't go down like a buddy of mine who broke 7 ribs and totaled his bike with a rear tire blowout on his Goldwing.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Flat tire. Bad? Yes. Sorry for the frustrating situation. The Dealer should have had a suitable tire in stock.

But horrible? No. There are all kinds of bad things that could have happened.

One thing about riding; it makes you really appreciate when things don't go horribly.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That really sucks, Don. But Liam and Dan are right - it really could have gone SO much worse. Glad you weren't hurt and the bike suffered nothing but the flat.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Though it seems as if it should work, it doesn't. I had a bolt go through the rear tire on the way to Daytona Bike Week and the hole was simply too big for the ropes to make a good seal. Tried five of them, which was all I had - no joy. It looked good at first, but they were thrown out of the tire by centripetal force once I got underway.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I always carry a tire plug kit on my bikes. It has saved me a few times from being stranded in the middle of nowhere. If you carry one that uses the rubber rope worms don't forget to carry a knife or razor blade to cut off the part that sticks out after it's been inserted. I once spent more than an hour searching on the side of a lonely piece of Wyoming roadway for a sharp piece of glass to do the cutting.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At the time of my tires demise, I was not thinking, boy,am I lucky I am not injured. I was just upset that I had a flat. This happens to other people,not me!I guess I have officially Joined the ranks of " other people ". Thinking back now,It could have been very serious.
Perhaps the burgmans little wheel and low profile tire could be considered a safety feature. I would have kept going if it wasn't for the loud howling, the bike was very stable at highway speeds.
If you go to the bike shop around here and ask for a 160/60-16 or 17 they probably have 10 in stock, but a 14 is not in big demand so you are lucky if they have one.
I am going out today and buy one of those mini compressors and a plug kit. More stuff to hall around and I hope I will never have to use it. By the way, how long can you go with a plugged tire? Would I have been ok to complete my trip? The tire only had 1300 miles on it and I was planning to go about 800 miles.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
By the way, how long can you go with a plugged tire? Would I have been ok to complete my trip? The tire only had 1300 miles on it and I was planning to go about 800 miles.
We had a thread on this awhile back. The general concensous was that plugs were very temporary fixes until you could get the tire replaced, regardless of the amount of miles on it. Unlike cars, plugged MC tires are a danger. On a car, a blown tire is more of an inconvenience. On a bike, it is life threatening.

Glad your perspective changed a bit.:cool:

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
The general concensus might be that it's a temporary fix, but I've read lots of posts sayning it lasts the rest of the tire's life until it's worn down.

BTW why are there so many drywall screws and roofing nails on US roads?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Back in the day when there were real tire shops not just tire installers. You could get a "boot" or a "hot patch" where they would put your tire and a patch in a clamp that one side of the clamp was a hot iron. Those patches would usually hold up for the life of the tread. I can't understand where they have disappeared to but I do know no shops around here have one any longer. I have been looking at swap meets and auctions for an old one with no luck.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You can find those little shops all over the place. Go down to the broke side of town where you see racks of tires outside for five bucks each. Those are the shops who still do that sort of thing. You'll never find that sort of service at a Tire Kingdom.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Broke side of town? Around here that's anywhere besides the beach, it's either mansions or you're broke. :p

·
Registered
704 Posts
By the way, how long can you go with a plugged tire? Would I have been ok to complete my trip? The tire only had 1300 miles on it and I was planning to go about 800 miles.
I have approx 4000 miles since I plugged mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts