Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I say/hear/see maxi scooter, to me, it means a scooter class segment w/ engine size between 700 and 400cc & also the enormous cargo capacity. Second, by default per the above, it means a long distance hwy/intestate w/ 2up in comfort capable scooter, eg, touring capable. As such, the foot positions will be forward facing, or multi positioned so that you don't cramp up on all day rides and can move and shift your body around throughout the day.

well, last time I visited this multi line dealership and said show me your maxi scooters, the floor mgr, (who surprisingly knew quite a bit about the scooter market/community) quibbled that a "maxi scooter" isn't about the size, but about the style of scooter classed as (a) japanese built (b) foot forward, laid back position. SO is this now what maxi scooter means, or has it always been this way? What's your definition of maxi scooter?

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I would have to quibble with his definition and yours too. I don't think the riding position has that much to do with it and it definitely doesn't have to be Japanese made. Engine size has historically been the main difference between scooter and maxi-scooter with 250 cc being the dividing line.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
For many years, the Honda 250s were the 'largest'
scooters available in the American market.
When the Honda Helix 'died-out', the market sorta
dried-up.....until the 400s hit the market in the US.
That kinda was the beginning of the maxi-scooter
or super-scooter world here. The 50cc to 150 cc
imports from Europe began to suffer...Americans
were addicted to 'big horsepower'. Now, experienced
riders that found motorcycles difficult to handle,
due either to age or medical issues, found the
'bigger' scooters to be an alternative, & could stay
on-the-street. There was also a broad appeal to the
inexperienced new riders.So...maxi-scoots found a
foothold. For riders like me...bad knees..can't swing
my leg over a motorcycle to get on, & can't tolerate
the scrunched-up riding position, so a scooter with
room to stretch-out my legs, was the perfect answer.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I would have to quibble with his definition and yours too. I don't think the riding position has that much to do with it and it definitely doesn't have to be Japanese made. Engine size has historically been the main difference between scooter and maxi-scooter with 250 cc being the dividing line.

The 250cc is the correct number for what is considered a "MAXI" Scooter .

That said we here in the states when we think MAXI Scooter , feel like 400 to 500cc and up . I remember reading a sales brochure for the 1985 Honda Elite 250 , they referred to it as this new thing called a "MAXI Scooter" and said things like freeway capable . Up to that point scooters were pretty much a small cc European / Asian thing , a few people in the town I grew up in had some Cushman Eagle scooters and that was about it .

I grew up poor and remember looking at vehicles like the Cushman and these Allstate motor bikes in Sears , and thinking how wonderful it would be to own one . But for a poor kid on the wrong side of the tracks it wasn't to be . My love affair with motorized bikes began when I was 10 or 12 years old and has never waned .

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
..I grew up poor and remember looking at vehicles like the Cushman and these Allstate motor bikes in Sears , and thinking how wonderful it would be to own one . But for a poor kid on the wrong side of the tracks it wasn't to be . My love affair with motorized bikes began when I was 10 or 12 years old and has never waned .....
...especially after my Dads brother gave rides to me & my brothers around the orange orchard outside of Porterville, Calif. when we were kids.

·
Administrator
18,750 Posts
I agree with the 250 and up size being "MAXI". While you could take a 150cc on the freeway and try to keep up, you'd be tire fodder for the vehicles doing 70 MPH.

You can get a look a like clone of the Burgman 400-650 in a 50cc engine that fits that dealership managers idea of a Maxi Scooter.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
200 cc Burgman is certainly a Maxi where I'd not call some of the 500 cc city style a maxi scooter.

I don't think motor size has a lot to do with it.

I'd include this Piaggo in the Maxi category.

Nothing wrong with city scoots and I was impressed with one of the city style 500s when one pulled up - two up on a long jaunt and even a 150 with an 80 lb lady aboard kept up easily on a local cruise.

More a question of geometry and where the motor is mounted.

Aprilla 850 and Burgman 650 being frame mounted with the non maxis at the back.

Came across this...kinda neat

this Vespa was designed to do 170 kph + at Bonneville.

http://www.internetscooter.com/Scooter/Dry_Lake_Racing/The_World’s_Fastest_Vespa?

any takers ;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
200 cc Burgman is certainly a Maxi where I'd not call some of the 500 cc city style a maxi scooter.

I don't think motor size has a lot to do with it.
If not motor size, then what is it? I'm confused by your cryptic references to swingarms, speed breaking prototypes, 3 wheelers being inclusive.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Interesting.

The Vespa GT has a 300cc engine, yet I don't consider it a maxi because of it's small profile and 12 inch wheels. Yet I do consider the Honda Forza (almost a 300cc) to be a maxi.

I think I'd define a maxi as 1) size (profile) - length, wheelbase - similar to a standard motorcycle, 2) twist & go transmission, 3) step-thru design 4) capable of sustained cruising on Interstate highways at the maximum legal speed limit 5) storage in excess of one full-face helmet.

I think they should be 2-up capable, but I think gross vehicle weight is a better standard to account for the size of the rider/passenger, (and the capabilities of the suspension). I don't know what that number would be, though.

Just my 2 C.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I concur w/ Jeff in that my idea of a maxi is that it needs to be hwy capable w/ 2up and do so all day long in comfort, similar to m/c's classed as touring m/c (Gold wing comes to mind). But as Macdoc pointed out, the all new baby Burg 200 fits (most of) the touring req't, long wheelbase, huge seat trunk, a full body wind screen, except maybe the 2up may not be possible b/c of the 200cc engine.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
And the 500cc Vespa will do highway all day but with the city scoot design. I think you are correct in designating body style but also need to include motor mounting.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
If not motor size, then what is it? I'm confused by your cryptic references to swingarms, speed breaking prototypes, 3 wheelers being inclusive.
It's body structure and power train ...traditional city scoots have a very different power train and structural design than maxi's.
A city scoot can go very fast but it is not a maxi in my view.

In reality the line is being blurred even more at the upper end with the Aprilla 850 and the Burgman 650 sharing motorcycle structures with the Aprilla barely a step through.

The oddball three wheeler is an anomally.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
When I say/hear/see maxi scooter, to me, it means...
Honestly, whenever I see "maxi" my first thought is Maxipads (by Stayfree, if you're interested). Not my fault - their commercials burned into my brain. Never seen a commercial for a "Maxi Scooter".

What's your definition of maxi scooter?
Any scooter ~250cc or more.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Honestly, whenever I see "maxi" my first thought is Maxipads (by Stayfree, if you're interested). Not my fault - their commercials burned into my brain. Never seen a commercial for a "Maxi Scooter".
OK fellow Mad Men, here are my taglines:

the Burgman 650 - for those heavy riding days.

or

the Suzuki Burgman, absorbs everything but the bumps!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I think I'd define a maxi as 1) size (profile) - length, wheelbase - similar to a standard motorcycle, 2) twist & go transmission, 3) step-thru design 4) capable of sustained cruising on Interstate highways at the maximum legal speed limit 5) storage in excess of one full-face helmet.
I like this definition. But to elaborate on the interstate item, one must need a certain wheel dimension and base, engine size, aerodynamics and overall weight of the bike to be freeway capable. There are 500 Vespas are not really up to the task and 200 Burgmans that are, this is where the other factors come into play.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Just to be clear...there are no 500cc Vespa's! And of course, it's not a maxi. But the 300cc version (the biggest currently) is well highway capable. I've ridden the latest 2015 version which has considerable updates (too many to list) and mods including: abs/asr (traction control) new suspension at the front, and it was remarkable to say the least. The motor was a dream with loads of power. It rides like a maxi over the bumps and can be thrown about with gay abandon. The Vespa monocoque steel construction is 2.5 times as rigid as a typical trellis framed maxi scooter. The 12" wheels were no disadvantage. On a 380 mile ride it was as comfortable as my Burgman. I would definitely not describe it as a maxi scooter due to the short wheelbase, but quite frankly, it does just about everything my Burgman 400z abs does, except for the top speed. I'm ordering one in the spring because it was so much fun and went so well. But maxi it is not due to it's smaller size only, in my eyes. I think the main thing that designates a scooter as a maxi is it's physical size and maybe the motor being above 200cc. We have maxi's over here in urup that are 180cc eg: the Sym Joyride. It goes well and is highway capable. The Vespa is just as capable as a maxi for me. Folks take them around the world and tour just fine on them. Holding 70mph is a stress free experience with around 82-85mph top end on the 300's. The motors are very relaxed about high speeds with good fuel economy. The picture below is virtually identical to the one I rode. It's the 'Touring' model.
View attachment 35777

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Just to be clear...there are no 500cc Vespa's!
Okay, Piaggio BV500. Perhaps I should have said "Vaspa-like 500". Vespa is a type of bike as much as it is a brand; like frizzbie is to flying disk. But, Whatever. Most others knew what I meant.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Ah, I see...

I know what you mean Liam, now. But you and others were saying 'Vespa' which is a completely different bike to any other Piaggio brand and doesn't have a 500 engine anywhere in the range. It's not something you would normally say over here to describe non maxi scooters. Vespa's are unique. It's not like a BV at all. And also...just wanted to be sure you guys weren't getting some secret 500 Vespa that we don't get over here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts