Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried pulling off both brake lever switches. it started....then it didn't. reconnected the switches, wouldn't start but got "chec" on the display. seems like everytime i cycle the key it does something different.
maybe one of you guys has defeated these switches? i'd like to do the same to the sidestand switch, too. I wonder how that will go...

Attachments

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the switch is normally closed. when installed on the bike, it's normally open. when the brake lever is pulled in, the switch closes. guess i better try a simple jumper on the female connectors.

· Registered
1,714 Posts
why do you need to defeat them? poor switches. theyre so small and puny. dont be a bully!

so stupid humor aside, why are you trying to bypass them? they activate brake lights and get the bike to start. if you said side stand switch, I can understand but why those?

· Registered
1,910 Posts
tried pulling off both brake lever switches.
There must be a reason, but for the life of me I cannot think what it might be.....
(Shall follow with interest).

i'd like to do the same to the sidestand switch, too. I wonder how that will go...

Badly, first time you forget it's down, and try to go anywhere.
Sod's law says first bend you arrive at is ALWAYS to the left.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put it back together and it's all good again.
tried doing it because it has died on me a couple of times while in a turn/moving traffic at idle. kinda disconcerting braking to restart the bike. and for the sidestand switch defeat, well, I'm living on the edge, you know, I ride a Burgman.

I'll look into this "safety coil relay" and try and figure it out, just for giggles

· Registered
2,402 Posts
You're just asking for trouble, IMHO. First, those switches are for your brake lights, too. Anything you do to them will either disable the brake lights or they will be on all the time...same difference. Besides, if it died while moving it would have nothing to do with the brake switches.

· Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,203 Posts
well, that got me a "chec" on the display again with no start....
On as designed operating system/scooter the brake lever switches have "absolutely nothing to do" with the "CHEC" message on display, the only things the brake switches control is 12v+ power to the brake lights and the starter safety relay, the starter safety relay only controls/allows or not, the starter operation, it has no control on ignition/spark or anything else.

Normally, the "CHEC" indication comes on when side stand is down, or "Red" engine stop switch is off for 5 seconds.

The LCD panel indicates “CHEC” when no communication signal from the ECM is received for 5 seconds and more. For Example: The ignition switch is turned ON, and the engine stop switch is turned OFF. In this case, the speedometer does not receive any signal from the ECM, and the panel indicates “CHEC”. If CHEC is indicated, the LCD does not indicate the trouble code. It is necessary to check the wiring harness between ECM and speedometer couplers

BTW, there's a ground protection diode in the side-stand switch for a reason, running a permanent jumper probably not the best idea, diodes control current flow and add a specific resistance/voltage drop to a circuit. The side-stand switch relay is powered by same fuse as the ignition system.

· Registered
54 Posts
Had a brake switch problem with my '05 Burgman 650. After a couple years it would hesitate, or run lumpy and eventually wouldn't run. After I got home on a flat deck truck. I pulled apart the contacts on the front and rear brakes levers. Scraped and cleaned the contacts. Solved the problem and I now do them each spring. No further problem.

· Registered
2,482 Posts
The used 2016 Honda PCX had the sidestand switch disconnected when I purchase it. I drove off with the kickstand down once. I wouldn't disconnect it if it wasn't already.

Reactions: Dave_J

· Registered
2008 AN400
48 Posts
The used 2016 Honda PCX had the sidestand switch disconnected when I purchase it. I drove off with the kickstand down once. I wouldn't disconnect it if it wasn't already.
I bought a Harley last May and was surprised to learn there is no side stand safety switch. I did some research to determine what it would take to add one and it is possible but not easy. Some International (maybe all?) and police models come with one. Most discussion on the Harley forums seems to have disdain for the side stand switch. Must be a Harley thing🤣.

I try really hard to focus on retracting the side stand. It’s the first thing I do after mounting but I’m pretty sure it’s just a matter of time before I get distracted and forget it. My powers of concentration just aren’t as good as they used to be😂

· Premium Member
2,462 Posts
I bought a Harley last May and was surprised to learn there is no side stand safety switch. I did some research to determine what it would take to add one and it is possible but not easy. Some International (maybe all?) and police models come with one. Most discussion on the Harley forums seems to have disdain for the side stand switch. Must be a Harley thing🤣.

I try really hard to focus on retracting the side stand. It’s the first thing I do after mounting but I’m pretty sure it’s just a matter of time before I get distracted and forget it. My powers of concentration just aren’t as good as they used to be😂
I gather this may not apply to your H-D, but, FWIW, it is (was?) my understanding that bikes that do not have sidestand interlock switches are those that come with sidestands that automatically retract -- spring up -- when the weight is lifted off them (as in straightening the bike upright, as you get on and prepare to ride). Or maybe, in addition to that, bikes that sidestands that face toward the rear, such that if they touched down during a curve, they would simply swing back (the way I had some fold-up highway pegs positioned on crashbars, on an early bagger, for instance).

I have increasing senior moments as I become even more senior, but I thought I read about that a time or two, particularly regarding some of those bikes -- Ducatis come to mind -- that had such arrangements ... and that when a good gust of wind came along, when they were parked, and tipped the bikes upright a tad, the sidestand would retract; when the gust was finished, the bikes would lean back, sans deployed sidestands, and fall over.

· Administrator
18,254 Posts
I think it was my 1978 Suzuki GS750N that had a rubber finger sticking down below the steel of the kickstand, about 1/2 inch (12.5mm). It would contact first but squish out with the weight of the bike. But if you were to ride off with the stand down, the first left turn that rubber would hit and pop the stand up.

Reactions: wspollack

· Registered
2,402 Posts
Had a brake switch problem with my '05 Burgman 650. After a couple years it would hesitate, or run lumpy and eventually wouldn't run. After I got home on a flat deck truck. I pulled apart the contacts on the front and rear brakes levers. Scraped and cleaned the contacts. Solved the problem and I now do them each spring. No further problem.
So I have to assume that unlike the 400 this model has separate switches for the brake light and interlock? Otherwise it should run lumpy every time you use the brakes.

· Registered
2008 AN400
48 Posts
I gather this may not apply to your H-D, but, FWIW, it is (was?) my understanding that bikes that do not have sidestand interlock switches are those that come with sidestands that automatically retract -- spring up -- when the weight is lifted off them (as in straightening the bike upright, as you get on and prepare to ride). Or maybe, in addition to that, bikes that sidestands that face toward the rear, such that if they touched down during a curve, they would simply swing back (the way I had some fold-up highway pegs positioned on crashbars, on an early bagger, for instance).

I have increasing senior moments as I become even more senior, but I thought I read about that a time or two, particularly regarding some of those bikes -- Ducatis come to mind -- that had such arrangements ... and that when a good gust of wind came along, when they were parked, and tipped the bikes upright a tad, the sidestand would retract; when the gust was finished, the bikes would lean back, sans deployed sidestands, and fall over.
The “Jiffy Stand” on the Harley has a clever locking feature that positions a tab on the upper end of the stand into a slot on the side of the motor. As long as the bike has weight on the stand it cannot move out of this slot in either forward or backward direction.

As soon as you move the bike to vertical (weight off the stand) the tab comes out of the slot allowing the stand to fold up (it doesn’t retract, you still need to pull it back with your foot).

I assume if you were to ride off with the stand down it would fold up without digging in and causing a crash.

I don’t plan on testing this assumption🤣

· Registered
54 Posts
Per G-Dub inquiry: On the Burgman 650's, it's my experience that both front and rear brake, plus the side stand, all have interlocks. If the stand is down, NO START. If either front or rear brake lever is pulled, with the Stand UP, it will start. You have to First lift the stand, then either brake being pulled will allow the start. Complicated at first, but you soon get the hang of it, or learn to walk.

· Registered
2,402 Posts
I've about got the hang of it, lol.
My actual starting procedure is thus: press start button; turn on ignition; pull left brake (or clutch); release start button. This avoids the arc on the start switch contacts when they break due to the high headlight current across the contacts (can cause dead headlights). Mostly a problem with two-headlight bikes.

Reactions: wspollack
1 - 20 of 28 Posts