Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put 140 miles on my new 2005 Burgman 650 today.
I have decided to name it 'MORE ZOOM' as it seems to be a little quicker than my wife's Silverwing and that is named 'ZOOM ZOOM'.

Seeing that everyone is starving for info on the 2005's here are my findings, measurements and deductions.
I have a large posterior and have found that I am much more comfortable with the butt stop removed, will try to make a bracket to raise it up 4 or 5 inches.
I will have to do something with the windshield to raise the air deflection about 2 inches.
Gas milage for the last 125 miles according to onboard computer - 49.6MPG.
As for the new 2005 Overdrive Feature - 4000 RPM seems to be the magic rev point. At 60/61 MPH I put it into manual mode, it went into 5th, It was turning 4000RPM, I shifted to overdrive, RPM dropped to 3500, sped up to 4000RPM = 67/68MPH, put it back into normal auto mode, RPM remained at 4000, so the overdrive ratio does seem to be in use in normal auto mode also. With a very easy throttle hand, in normal auto mode, you can maintain 4000RPM all the way from about 60 MPH to 68MPH, thus the determination that overdrive is available in normal auto mode as long as you maintain at least 67 to 68MPH.

That's all for now folks.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
wrecruiser said:
I have a large posterior and have found that I am much more comfortable with the butt stop removed, will try to make a bracket to raise it up 4 or 5 inches.
Jac Vinson sells a nice kit for doing that.
http://www.rvtoys.net

wrecruiser said:
I will have to do something with the windshield to raise the air deflection about 2 inches.
Shimming the upper windshield mounts might do the trick. It is worth a try, since the only investment involved is the cost of 4 hose washers.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Thanks Dean, great news about the OD!

Now all we have to find out now is if it will go into OD by itself in Normal mode, even if the OD light doesn't come on.(Just going by revs I guess)

BTW, did the OD light go off when you switched back to Normal mode, or was it still on?

Let us know what you find out.

Paul's suggestion about shimming the windshield is a good one.
Heard of others doing it, I think it worked for them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When shifting back to normal mode the OD light does go out but if you are over 67 MPH the RPM's remain the same. Thus the thought that the overdrive ratio is indeed fully available in the normal mode (as long as you are going over 67 MPH). In normal mode the CVT is continuously varible (hense the name) so from 61MPH up, you would have a slightly higher gear ratio than with the prior year 650's. Anyway, it seems to be getting great gas milage. Some of my riding yesterday was at speeds as high as 78 MPH indicated.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Stormsteed said:
Seems odd to me that Suzuki would put so much hoopla into promoting this OD feature, then have it available all the time, also in Normal mode, yet not "show" you it's operating by having the light come on.
Since the OD light is part of the "Gear Selection Indicator" I can understand why it works that way.

It would have been nice, but not really needed. Since it appears from wrecruiser's description to be always on in auto mode, there's no need for an indication.

Just as we don't see 1, 2, 4, etc. lit up when in Auto mode, we won't see OD in Auto mode on the new ones.

It's really just a taller range on the CVT. If they had labelled it with a yellow "6" instead of a green "OD" I don't think there would have been as much confusion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[Did you perchance test the OD conversely as well? i.e. in Normal mode, speed up to ~70mph. Note the rpm. Then switch to Manual and up to OD. What happens to rpm? ]

I did. At 70MPH in normal mode it was running about 4100 RPM. I shifted to manual, it went into 5th gear so I shifted it up to OD, the RPMs were the same.[/quote]

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I am eager to hear what kind of fuel economy an OD-equipped 650 acheives when fully broken in and ridden for maximum mileage. Mostly, I'm curious to see how much an OD helps a two-wheeled vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Brian said:
Just as we don't see 1, 2, 4, etc. lit up when in Auto mode, we won't see OD in Auto mode on the new ones.

It's really just a taller range on the CVT. If they had labelled it with a yellow "6" instead of a green "OD" I don't think there would have been as much confusion.
I think Brian has hit the nail on the head here.
Never even thought of that. :oops:

He's absolutely right, in Normal mode we would not see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 OR 6 (OD) so why would it be any different now on the 2005?
In Normal mode we never have known what "gear" (if we can call it that for the sake of simplicity), we were in, and that would include the new OD or gear 6. :)

The obvious always seems VERY obvious in retrospect :wink:

Brian's logic always seems so clear and faultless. :wink:
I tend to get hung up on the details. :cry:
And thanks to wrecruisers test rides we know what the RPMs are in both modes.
Problem solved!
Huston, we have Overdrive!

Now to find out if the Exec has power mirrors and windshield :twisted:

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
wrecruiser said:
I did. At 70MPH in normal mode it was running about 4100 RPM. I shifted to manual, it went into 5th gear so I shifted it up to OD, the RPMs were the same.
Very good. I took a short ride on my 03 today and briefly tried (55mph zone with traffic) to check the rpms at 65mph. It was about 4,200 prms (I think each mark is 200 rpms, not 100). I will check it better tomorrow if I can at 65, 70, 75, and 80 mph.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts