Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next Wednesday I will be buying a new machine to replace my 2007 Burgman with 30,000 miles. My Burg has been almost perfect, never leaving me stranded even 1000 miles from home.
The choices are; a new FJR or a 2013 new white Burgman. I have been leaning toward the FJR but each time I go by the Burgman I just have to sit on it and wonder why on earth, at the age of 71, should I buy the FJR.
The shop has a 2014 burg but I just don't care for dull, grayish look of the 2014.
I am retired and have already planned 4 major rides this year. a 1000 mile ride to the Black Hills, Cumberland Falls Kentucky, Smoky Mountains, and a week ride to Arkansas. Hopefully this year we will miss the 400,000 Harleys doing the Pig Trail. You know, it really bothers the Harley riders when they are passed by a scooter, especially in the turns of the Pig Trail.
I plan on my new ride to be my last motorcycle purchase so it has to be right. I started out leaning toward the FJR but now I an leaning toward the Burgman - just too many great memories!!
respectfully,
David Miller:D

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Go for the Burgman! Unless you need the bigger engine of the FJR I can't see why you would choose it over the Burg. Also with the money you save on the Burgman you could have it custom painted or vinyl wrapped and still be ahead.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
In my opinion, go with the Burgman. I loved my ST1300A, but way too top heavy. I've never ridden an FJR, but probably similar.

At my age, 72, I'm planning on a new Burgman 650 soon, and it will replace my beloved Gold Wing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought my first Burgman a week ago (a 2013). I am totally impressed with its power and agility. I did alot of research prior to the purchase and found that a number of people compared it to a cross between a scooter and a sportbike. I was doubtful - - but I now stand corrected and humble. My best friend previously owned an '08 Burgman and was totally sold on it. I have a number of friends who ride FJR's. From what I've seen so far, stay with the Burgman, fer sure!

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
If you are getting up in age and losing some of that limberness, I would stick with the Burgman, a much more all around comfortable ride when it comes to achy joints and what not.

The FJR is a great ride and will have more power and get you to places a bit faster and you will feel the difference in suspension etc...

You should try and take a test ride on the FJR to see how it fits your body stylel

If planning long trips, you can add two side cases and a top box to the 650 and you will be all set for an amazing amount of storage capacity. The FJR comes with side cases, add a top box and you have a nice rounded setup,

Weather protection would be better on the 650 but the FJR has a nice fairing setup.

If you are traveling at legal speed limits doing 55-75 mph bot bikes will do well, if venturing into the triple digit zone, the FJR beats the Burgman hands down and will run all day at those speeds, the 650 just isn't designed for that.

You can't go wrong with either bike as a last ride.

Enjoy those planned trips.

all the best...

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,157 Posts
I just sold my ST1100 as I found it top heavy compared to the Burgman 650. No question better suspension and more oomph at the very top end but I found the weight annoying in any kind of traffic and adding in clutching and shifting ....well I was jealous every time I went out with buddy in Aus who rode his 2009 650.

I ride a 2009 Exec in Canada for 9 months and the ST1100 got me over the BIG FOUR interest and it's lighter than the FJR.

The other aspect is heat and width. I'm 5 9" and found the seat height okay on th ST1100 at 31.5 - about the same as the Burgman BUT it was wide which put extra strain on the inner thighs that I did not like. It was hot in traffic with the big motor.
I'd taken a BMW liter tourer out a couple years ago and while I loved the suspension it was wide and heavy and simply did not feel as agile as the Burgman. Top end power of course was effortless.

The FJR seat is a tad higher than both but I'll guess it has the same width issue which you can likely feel sitting on one at a dealer....you should be able to feel the top heavy issue.

If you are riding solo then I'd come down strongly on the 650 side of the equation.

Two up....perhaps the FJR.

I found the ST1100 would not twisty carve as well either - I suspect a combination of geometry and weight and weight distribution.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I am going to stick with what I know, the burgman 650. My wife is not too fond of my new idea -
Keep my old burgman and buy the new burgman outright. With 30, 000 miles I think I will ride my old one around town and other short trips then using the newer one on trips. I should be able to get another 25, 000 or 30, 000 miles on the '07 before any serious problems arise hopefully.
Respectfully,
David Miller

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Just out of curiosity... Did you pose this same question on an FJR board? You knew the answer you would get on BUSA. So perhaps the posting the question was your answer.

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,157 Posts
Cept he'd likely not find anyone with experience on both on the fjr board
Many here have owned litre sport tourers

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have this little game I play when I need to make a decision. I pose the two options on either side of a coin and flip it. If I'm really undecided, I go with the option that come up. However, more often than not, I've internally already made the decision and a "bad toss", leads to a two out of three contest. At that point I know what I really want and go with it.

David, perhaps this is your coin toss.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts