Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I went to a local dealer on Saturday and they had both machines on the floor. As Pauljo recommended, we sat on both and took them off the side stands. As inexperienced riders, the 400's weight just felt better as we sat on and rocked from side to side. My wife felt very comfortable on the 400 as well. After seeing me struggle a little on the 650, she passed on sitting on it and trying it for herself. So we have decided that, when ready, the 400 is definitely the way to go. We both also imagined possibly trading up to a 650 (or bigger displacement machine if one comes out) in the future.

Question: With a replacement screen, is it safe to ride while looking solely through a screen (like a Givi), or should you be able to look above for maximum safety. Again, thank you all.

-Willy Mo on Staten Island
:wink:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Congrats on making the decision to purchase the 400. I hope both you and your wife enjoy it for many years to come 8)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: Decision Made! Which one would be better for my wife and

Willy Mo said:
Question: With a replacement screen, is it safe to ride while looking solely through a screen (like a Givi), or should you be able to look above for maximum safety.
Some prefer to look thru the shield to have max protection. But from a safety standpoint, I think you're better off looking over the shield. Rain, dew, etc on the shield will not impare your vision.

·
Registered
287 Posts
As a brand-new newbie - how much above the top of the screen can your head protrude before you start to feel the effects of the wind? I know I'll find out when I start riding my "new" 400, but until I get licensed and insured I've got to live vicariously through you guys!

Alan

·
Registered
969 Posts
Re: Decision Made! Which one would be better for my wife and

billmeek said:
Some prefer to look thru the shield to have max protection. But from a safety standpoint, I think you're better off looking over the shield. Rain, dew, etc on the shield will not impare your vision.
Even though I look through my screen, I have to agree with Bill. But I won't soon be cutting mine up (down?).

Steve

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Alan_Hepburn said:
As a brand-new newbie - how much above the top of the screen can your head protrude before you start to feel the effects of the wind? I know I'll find out when I start riding my "new" 400, but until I get licensed and insured I've got to live vicariously through you guys!

Alan
There is no straight answer to this. It depends on the design of the windscreen (angle of wind deflection), and to an extent, the aerodynamics of your helmet. Basic guidelines would be to have your line of sight and inch or two over the top of the windscreen, and the airflow should just brush the top of your helmet. But in some cases, you will get an annoying amount of wind noise and buffetting when set up like that. I have had to experiment some with both Suzukis I own to get it right for me. And on the V-Strom, the best solution was a short screen that put my helmet entirely in the wind along with an upgrade to a more aerodynamic helmet. On the Burgman I am set up with the wind just brushing the top of my helmet and my eyes are at least 4 inches over the screen. But I had to shim the screen mounts to increase the angle of wind deflection in order to get this right. Use the 'Search' function - there is lots of other discussion on windscreen issues. What you will learn is that different solutions work best for different riders, and that it is not unusual to have to try a couple of different approaches before being satisfied.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
The best height (IMO) is so that you can look over the top when you perch up - bolt upright, then when you are not in a rain situation the laid back riding style will have you below the screen. If your part of the world has regular rain and you ride in it - you really do have to look over the top (not your whole head - just line o' sight!) :)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I'll add my -Ditto- to the above and add that unless you are very lucky, the odds of getting a stock shield that is just right is very slim.
On the bright side cutting down a shield is really not that hard.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My advice: start with the stocker, and when you're riding on the highway, move around a bit. Sit up straight, crouch down. Feel for buffeting, listen to the amount of wind noise.

Simon

·
Registered
56 Posts
Decision made!

Willy Mo and wife,

Happy to hear you've decided. Sorry but I have to ask. Will your Burgman ever ride the Statten Island ferry?

Burgwoman400 USA

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Pauljo,

Did you shim the top to be more upright or the bottom to increase the slant toward the rider? What did you find to be the most effective shim - washers?? Thanks!

Madonna

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Madonna,

I shimmed the top mounts to get the shield more upright. This increased wind lift by a significant amount - much more than the Saeng edging did. To put it in perspective, I am 6'6" and riding with a Clearview Lg windscreen (not XL or XXL). The wind hits my helmet above the visor.

I am using simple garden hose washers. Two on each side. I placed one behind the black plastic mounting bracket, and one between the mounting bracket and the windscreen. Since two different screws are involved, I could still use the stock length screws, and I am not putting undue stress on either the bracket or the windscreen. The screen is now offset about 1/4 inch at the top brackets. This translates into a greater offset as you move up the length of the screen. I estimate about 3" in increased wind lift was gained.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Thanks, Paul! I think I will try doing this to my stock wind screen. Cheaper and probably works as well as anything else I would consider.

Madonna

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Decision made!

burgwoman400 said:
Willy Mo and wife,

Happy to hear you've decided. Sorry but I have to ask. Will your Burgman ever ride the Statten Island ferry?

Burgwoman400 USA
Burgwoman400,

I wish! I believe that after 9/11 they barred any motor vehicles from riding the ferries (bicycles are allowed). It would be a dream to ferry a Burg into Manhattan :lol: . Until that ban is lifted, if ever, I have to take the SI expressway or go through Jersey to get to Manhattan on a scoot.

-Willy Mo

·
Registered
496 Posts
Willy Mo, I do not understand why they would ban scoots from the ferry's? What are they afraid of that we would be a super bomb?

I had a chance to come back home this past summer and ride the ferry across the Hudson. It was such a rare cool fabulous day. I loved every minute of it, esp. the food which is mainly why I ride anyway (to eat!).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Evelyn said:
Willy Mo, I do not understand why they would ban scoots from the ferry's? What are they afraid of that we would be a super bomb?
Evelyn,

Just another example of how our liberties are being taken away. What one has to worry about when crossing on the SI ferry are the captains and pilots! The ferry crash in October, 03 which killed and wounded many had nothing to do with terrorists (and certainly nothing to do with harmless Burgmans)...

There's always hope that this policy will change.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Willy Mo,

I just can't understand that Oct. 03. Whatever could have possibly caused that accident? We are not talking about navigating treacherous currents out in some unchartered waters. Were the pilot and navigator under the influence?

Evelyn

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Evelyn,

The Pilot allegedly passed out because of some High Blood Pressure medication. After the crash, he fled the boat and tried to kill himself. The Captain was not even near the ships cockpit!

Willy Mo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts