Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks members for all the help. I have decided on the 400 vs the 650 since I will be riding mostly by myself. I was considering the new Yamaha Majesty 400, but it appears to have mechanical issues in Europe.
I found a local dealer with a left over 2003 400 still in the crate. He is charging $4700 plus $500 for prep and delivery, which I think is high. Any thoughts? When I take delivery of the Burg should I have fresh oil put in it since the oil in the engine is almost 2yrs old. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not sure where you're located, and what the customs are, but in the States and with vehicles, everything is negotiable. I bought a 650 last month, and wanted to pay $6500 on the bike ($7500 out the door). I called ahead, came in, and told the salesman I was convinced it was the bike for me, and just wanted to talk price. I told him $6000, he sort of laughed, and offered to take $200 of the list price. I laughed and said "Thanks for your time" and walked out the door. As I was putting on my helmet, he came running out and offered 6700. I said I'd think about it.

A couple days later I called back and he agreed to the $6500. Taxes, fees, etc., came out to less than I thought, and I ended up OTD about $7300 US. The fees did include a "assembly" fee of about $250, but I was happy with the out the door price.

Remember you have the ultimate "power of the feet" and at any time during the transaction can just walk out. If the bike has been sitting around for two years, it is costing the dealer a load of money to store and keep in inventory. You're doing him a favor by making the purchase. Show that you're serious and willing to sign when you get an offer you like, but don't let them jerk you around, and walk unless you get the offer you like.

I find it really helps to seperate yourself from the actual "purchase." By that I mean before going into the dealer, make a mental shift from "I want to buy this great wonderful machine, I can't wait to ride!" To "I am negotiaiting for this number, not a dollar/euro/yen more!" Dealers will play on your emotions, it's your job to walk unless your number is met.

Good luck! Sorry about the long post, but it's kind of sad hearing from all my friends that have bought cars, motorcycles, etc., at the sticker price or let the dealer talk them out of their hard earned cash.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I think that the 400 would suit you just fine since you will be riding solo most of the time. As far as the price, that doesn't sound too bad, at least not to me. I know some members have got them cheaper. From what I have read, the average price paid OTD is between 4500-5000. If that is the case, a couple hundred more is not that bad. So I say, GO FOR IT! 8)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Thinking along the lines of pgray007 and a compromise with JD I would offer 5000 OTD
2 yr old oil, I don't see a problem with it since you will be changing it is 600 miles or less,
but if you like it's a 4 min. job without the filter and takes less then two quarts.
No matter what, you should be very happy with the "400" :)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I say the prep price is bougus and you should talk him down or so as suggested and turn around in front of him ( not over the phone) and start walking.....he will reach you before you have the keys in your car.

As far as the oil goes you will be ok. The engine hasnt been running and hasnt been subjected to fuel or high temperatures, therefore it wont be broken down or acidic.

Good luck with your haggle!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I may have paid to much hearing what others have said. Bought a new 03 for 4499 and with tax,shipping, license and the everloving "prep" charge, almost 5400 OTD. But, hey, I love it, it's the best and I'm a long term motorcycle rider that just came back after almost 10 years without 2 wheels in motion. Also, 64 years old and still love to ride.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Play an accordian, go to jail. LOVE IT! Hahahahahaha!

Perhaps we should include BAGPIPES in that! :D

·
Registered
409 Posts
I would suggest a harmonica. After all, it would fit in one of the dash compartments.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was a pretty good blues and country harmonica in my day, still play some OK jazz drum licks. Never did the polka schictk.

:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Burgman 400 or Majesty 400???

Hey Tops,
I'm having the same delima as you. I really like some of the features I'm seeing on teh Yamaha, but so many people have good things to say about the Burgs that I don't see how I could go wrong with one of these.

I have not found anything seriously negative about the Majesty 400. Acutally not much at all... Their available here in August. I'm callling abou them tomorrow and hope to see one next weekend along with the burg and they even sell the Aprillia. The Aprilllia Atlantic 500 has alot going for it ( on first appearance at least)... If they had the same customre satisfaction as the Burgs they may be outselling them. If all was equal, the Aprillia offer's more scoot for the boot.. but as I read about it if seems to offer more suck for the buck...

Let me know what you find on the Majesty.. here are a few sites I've found with some info

http://www.motorcycleworld.com/enthusia ... me=Aprilia

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/ne ... y.htmlhtml

I'll let you know what I find after next weekend.. Tom

·
Registered
428 Posts
The Yamaha Majesty is the best selling scooter in it's category in Europe. It is a great machine, as is the Burg, which will soon be apparent when it hits the docks. The question for me is, will the Yammy dealers cut deals like Suzuki dealers? My understanding is that as of now they are sticking with full MSRP plus fees, etc. which tips the scales towards the Suzuki. But, if Yammy ever starts matching the price of the Burg, watch out. The Yamaha is a very nice scooter.

Peace.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Bleeder,

I must say.. from what I read and have seen in pictures... I do like it. Thanks for the information.

Maybe I can go to the dealer next weekend, and say.. " Hey... I've got these friends on the internet that are real Burgs-men. ( and
Burg-ettes) . If you give me the same price as the 400, I'll take it now and will keep them all informed on how I like it... and where I got it at this price!!!. "

Thanks again.... Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts