Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might go look at an 08 Exec a few cities over from me. Spoke with the owner last night and my first concern was that he had several flag decals on the front fender, leg fairing and rear plastics. Asked if they were the removable kind and he didn't know so is it possible to remove them?
In our conversation, I asked about damage. He allowed there was holes in the seat where a cat had used it as a scratching post. But it can be repaired for less than $100. Yeah right. Then oh yeah, the right brake handle is broken but it's not noticeable, he said. Hmmm, the ball end missing is not noticeable? I asked what happened? He said he let a friend ride it and dropped it when dodging a car. I then asked if the plastics was scratched up. He replied the mirror wasn't damaged. I kept asking about the plastics under the running board and he kept playing dumb. So how do you drop a bike and break the brake lever and not damage any plastics? Bike only has 1500 miles and asking $4500. But it would need to be a whole lot cheaper to make it worth my while.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hmmmm, if the owner is being aloof about answering questions of damage on the bike, I think I'd be very careful. Makes me wonder what he isn't telling you about the condition of the bike in other aspects. Tupperware on these bikes is not cheap.
To answer your question about decal removal a blow dryer set on high can be used to heat up the decal and possibly make the glue soft enough to peel off. Then use something like goof-off to take off the residual glue.
Greg

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
A couple of other things to take glue off safely are WD40 or a cleaner/wax in squeeze bottle.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I would be very careful about the cosmetic damage to this bike. His decals/stickers might have been put on the bike to hide damage from that "minor accident".

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I would be very careful about the cosmetic damage to this bike. His decals/stickers might have been put on the bike to hide damage from that "minor accident".
Or the thought of they have been on long enough to have a color difference from sun fading the uncovered paint around it. You could always tell him you want to take one off before just to see.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I just always take windex and a razor blade to it. Continually douse it in windex, the blade goes right under without a scratch. But, the hiding scratches part and sun fading are definetly a possibility.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Buyer beware! If the original owner took such poor care of his ride from a cosmetic standpoint (broken brake lever, scratched up seat, etc.), you can deduce that there is the potential for unseen issues, etc.

I'd pass on it and keep looking.

late,
Coz

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I call myself a garage dealer and not just in bikes , I've been known to buy just about any thing if it can be flipped for a profit . Don't really need the money I guess I just like the game ? Any way back to the subject at hand . I would more than likely pass on this bike at that price . There are better deals to be had it just takes time and patience to find them . That said , when there is any distance involved I always have the owner take close up pics and have them sent to my email account so I can expand them for a very close look . If they can't or won't I move on , it just isn't worth the trouble . I have found that over the years one man's "PRISTINE" can be another man's
CRAP !!! . I've bought and sold a lot of bikes , I've bought 16 Honda Big Ruckus scooters and sold 14 of them . Out of the 16 only one was pristine and the average one had less that 1000 miles on it . When I first started with the Big Rucks the average one had about $600 worth of damage , as time progressed that number went to $900 or even slightly more . For what ever reason people can't seam to keep the shiny side up especially on these scooters ?? I could tell stories on my experiences on this subject for hours , but I won't bore any one any longer . Other than to say if that bike was down and slid then there is usually damage from front to rear and the scratches will be on the horizontal , if it just fell over the scratches will be more segregated and sort of up and down . Always make sure you lie on the ground and look up at the very bottom of the bike for any damage . Also look under the engine area for any oil leaking , then on your test drive get up to freeway speed to check for alignment , and or vibrations .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I just always take windex and a razor blade to it. Continually douse it in windex, the blade goes right under without a scratch. But, the hiding scratches part and sun fading are definetly a possibility.
I wouldn't attempt this with painted plastic panels even metal for that matter.

I use a blow dryer to slowly heat up the decal and slowly remove the sticker/label while applying heat just ahead of the sticker in the direction I'm peeling it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still heading in the direction of the 2012 with 1050 miles. Waiting for the owner to get the title in hand.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I wouldn't attempt this with painted plastic panels even metal for that matter.

I use a blow dryer to slowly heat up the decal and slowly remove the sticker/label while applying heat just ahead of the sticker in the direction I'm peeling it.
Totally. It is way too easy to damage the finish with a razor blade. Heat and/or chemistry is your best solution. I usually use chemistry.

I use xylene, similar to lacquer thinner to remove manufacturer's decals. These are the self-adhesive variety. Wet it thoroughly and wait util it crinkles, then it should come off readily with a dish-scraper or similar nylon blade. Another wash will get the rest of the glue and any remaining bits of decal.

For waterslide decals, put a wet rag over it and let it soak for a while. It may come up easily, or a second soaking with vinegar will soften the carrier. Patience, a plastic blade and some elbow grease should remove it.

Regards
Scott Fraser

1 - 11 of 11 Posts