Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally figured out how to give my wife what she really wants for Christmas. Today I sold my 650. I will miss the bike (but will enjoy parking the car inside for a change!) and the many friends I have made since beginning to ride. I will look back fondly on the Blue Ridge Parkway Ride, the Ride to Mentone and many, many smaller, more intimate rides.

You are all a great bunch and I have learned a lot from this forum. God bless you all. I pray that you have a joyous holiday season and that you are granted many safe miles to ride.

I will probably continue to lurk. I still have that OCD thing going on.

Dave Ebdon
NurseDave

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
You didn't sell your bike to buy her a really nice hair band, only to find out she sold her hair to buy you a burgman cover or something, did you?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Yeah...Right... so I guess the $64 question here is, just what in the %^#@&//$* did your wife want for Christmas that you sold your Burger for... or is that just a cover up for the REAL reason you sold it??? :shock: :? :(

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife had never been happy about the bike. She eventually began to accept it. It wasn't required that I sell it but I knew that she worried every time I went out that something would happen, and frankly, so did I.

I have kind of a short attention span. I get into something for a while, then tire of it, and look forward to the next thing. I had had the Burgman for over a year and had some great times. I had also had some experiences that scared me to death. In the end I realized that seeing my granddaughters every week was more important than continuing with the bike.

So, I didn't sell the bike to buy some fancy present for her. My gift to her is the peace that comes from not worrying. I have loved this woman for 38 years. In your hearts, I think you can all understand that.

Dave

·
Registered
162 Posts
Get yourself an offroad bike and find some trails. It will keep you riding without the concern of being run over by a semi.

·
Registered
679 Posts
NurseDave, I am sorry you have given up on riding. But, if it wasn't fun any longer and you didn't want to distress your wife any longer, I think you made a good choice. My lady friend would never ride her own bike or hop on the back of mine, and I know she would rather I didn't ride, but she knows I am a careful rider and knows how important riding is to me, so she encourages me to ride. I would really love it if she was a riding companion, either on her own, on sitting behind me, but it isn't in the cards. You did the right thing.

·
Registered
212 Posts
excaliber said:
When the worry out weighs the fun, yup, it's time to move on.
I agree. You should have traded the wife in for one who likes to ride.... :D

(Disclaimer: I in no way condone divorce as a method of keeping a Burgman in your garage. Besides, hot food and lingerie are more important to most men than the occasional motorcycle ride. A good wife is the gift that keeps on giving!) :wink:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dave, it sounds like you are a mature and responsible guy, and I applaud you for making the right decision for you and your family. I just can't give up riding, but I certainly understand those who no longer find the risk acceptable for whatever reason. Have fun in whatever your next hobby is.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
NurseDave said:
My wife had never been happy about the bike. She eventually began to accept it. It wasn't required that I sell it but I knew that she worried every time I went out that something would happen, and frankly, so did I.

I have kind of a short attention span. I get into something for a while, then tire of it, and look forward to the next thing. I had had the Burgman for over a year and had some great times. I had also had some experiences that scared me to death. In the end I realized that seeing my granddaughters every week was more important than continuing with the bike.
Dave
That makes more sense. First and foremost, if you're not comfortable and having fun, then it isn't worth it anymore. My wife worries some when I'm out riding (with good reason after two accidents this year), but she rides with me me and we have a lot of fun. I brought her in on the original decision to get it in the first place. All she said was "Happy Father's Day"... but then I bought her a Malibu the year before that. Mine was a we decision and has been a we activity since then.
As for the short attention span, ADD all the way (speaking from experience)... what else can be said??? :? :roll:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ridding

Everytime I go out the wife puts the black dress on the door and hopes I don't come back.Now tell me is that love or what.And when i got the Burg she went and raised my life insurance.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I too applaud your decision. I believe you made it based on sound circumstances. Best in your next endeavor.
Mike

·
I'm Retired
9,363 Posts
PassTheGravy said:
Dave, it sounds like you are a mature and responsible guy, and I applaud you for making the right decision for you and your family. I just can't give up riding, but I certainly understand those who no longer find the risk acceptable for whatever reason. Have fun in whatever your next hobby is.
+1

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Hear, hear.

Dave - at least you were able to taste the taste.

My buddy Sargent Major Sandy (HD guy) stopped by my desk this morning and asked me "How are you liking your new v-twin?"

I told him - "I should have my head examined."

He looked at me funny.

I said "Dammit man - every time I get on this thing I say my prayers."

His advice? He said "Man you oughtta get a Harley - they are laid back and don't "rush you" into riding fast." (Which is what I sort of complained about)...

Riding my old Moonpie was as comfortable as jogging down the sidewalk. Nowadays it feels as though I have really shortened my "lifeline."

I will continue to be vigilant, and say my prayers - but like another poster shared - it is good that you let it go.

You can visit the sport another time - and you made peace.

...which is always a good deal.

Be well and have a great holiday season.

Just my .02.

pedz

·
Registered
793 Posts
The obvious road is almost always a fools road.

What's happening to us? Has an eerie fog settled onto our little town?

If she's making him lose his Burgman for Christmas, I'd hate to see what's on the menu for New Years resolutions.
they can only do harm

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Re: The obvious road is almost always a fools road.

ajwood said:
What's happening to us? Has an eerie fog settled onto our little town?

If she's making him lose his Burgman for Christmas, I'd hate to see what's on the menu for New Years resolutions.
There is no joy in Mudville...
...Mighty Casey has struck out!!!
:( :shock: :eek: :? :shock: :( :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry:

·
Registered
71 Posts
sell scooter?

I am glad that my wife loves to ride my exec. because if I got out of two wheel riding for safety reasons a 747 would land on our house. Or maybe a semi would drive thur our house. Or maybe a little old lady would hit us in the rear at a street light while doing about 50mph. Or worst it could be a astroid about the size of Texas hit Ohio!! Well I think I made my point that Sh-t happens but sometimes it doesn't. Thats the chance we all take in a danger filled world everyday. So if one feels safer if they quit riding good for you. Just keep a eye open for those other million or so things that can go wrong. rasrats

·
Registered
212 Posts
Re: The obvious road is almost always a fools road.

ajwood said:
Nah, when you read the post, it was his decision. I don't think she forced him to sell his bike (like with an outright ultimatum), but just used her feminine wiles to persuade him to do so. :wink:

When it comes to men, every woman knows guilt is the best manipulator. :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts