Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I am a 15 year experienced motorcycle rider, but never had anything a scooter or anything less than 650cc, not because I need the speed but really never came across something I liked that was less than that. I am currently motorcycleless for the past two seasons (which is a long time for me). so I came across this 03 burgman 400 with ~9000 miles for $1500, I am debating whether to make that step towards a scooter or not, I never rode any scooter in my life. a few questions I have for you seasoned super scooter riders:

1) would you think this would be enough to ride through the highway comfortably? (I am not the throttle happy need for speed kind btw)
2) How is the reliability on these machines?
3) Do they require a lot of maintenance?
4) Anything you recommend for me to do as far as maintenance in case I get this scooter today?
5) I am wondering if these machines can actually pile up some good miles? or will it go downhill at 10000.

Thank you all for your time and god bless.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
All,
I am a 15 year experienced motorcycle rider, but never had anything a scooter or anything less than 650cc, not because I need the speed but really never came across something I liked that was less than that. I am currently motorcycleless for the past two seasons (which is a long time for me). so I came across this 03 burgman 400 with ~9000 miles for $1500, I am debating whether to make that step towards a scooter or not, I never rode any scooter in my life. a few questions I have for you seasoned super scooter riders:

1) would you think this would be enough to ride through the highway comfortably? (I am not the throttle happy need for speed kind btw)
2) How is the reliability on these machines?
3) Do they require a lot of maintenance?
4) Anything you recommend for me to do as far as maintenance in case I get this scooter today?
5) I am wondering if these machines can actually pile up some good miles? or will it go downhill at 10000.

Thank you all for your time and god bless.
I've never owned a Burgman, but plan on switching from my Gold Wing to a Burgman 650 soon. I now own a 250 Vespa, which is more fun to ride, at least any distance less than 100 miles. I'm sure the Burgman 400 is even more fun.

However, I'm 73, owned many motorcycles, but developed my love for two wheels on scooters at age 14. The only people who seem to dislike scooters are the people who've never owned one.

That Burgman sounds like a good deal to me, but others here will have better advice.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
No problem on the freeway. You can do the freeway all day long.

Although I've had other scooters, my Burgman love affair has just started 6 months ago. No turning back now. I LOVE it! That's very low miles for that year machine. Although a 03, I still say it's a good deal if it runs and looks ok. I would think there would be some wiggle room. If you can score it for 1200 or 1000 then you can't really loose. I'm in my 2004 very cheap, it has 30,000 and runs pretty good.

From what I've read they are extremely reliable and maintenance is fairly easy. I'm just beginning that trek but looks pretty easy so far.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
2003 at that price is ok price if in good shape but it is 12 year old bike, however not much to lose at that price as normally trouble free machine.

The 2003 is carberator model not fuel injected, they have bit less HP than late model 400 but still plenty of power. Many 400 owner here have substantial milage. If you ride single you should not have problem on highway, if ride double long distance you do better with 650 Burgman.

Suggest you get bike maintenance log from owner if possible.

If me was looking at this bike would look at tires, if old they may be crack and rubber dry and unsafe, verify all rubber hoses could be old and dry out, check all hose clip, check brake on road, also check clutch take off and acceleration on road, spin frt & rear wheel for bad bearing and straightness, if engine not idle properly, hesitate or studder could be old stale gaz or junk up & dry out carb. Check radiator and if coolant not change in last 1-2 year change it.

400 do not require much maintenance usually, most maintenance you can perform easy yourself. Will require new rubber drive belt roller every 18,000 to 22,000 mile or so (not expensive).

Change oil & oil filter if you purchase bike., also check air filter.

If not change in past 1-2 year change brake fluid and fork oil.

Battery probably not original but may need new battery also.

Please put your location in you profile to help BUSA member to better help you, if you get this 400 you should put this in you profile also.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I put 46,000+ miles om my 07 400 so yes they will last. Only thing I would be concerned about is it's carbureted & not fuel injection. Haven't seen to many on this site with that year of Burgman. If you can't find anything else a little newer I would go with the 03 in the $1200-1300 price range if it starts & runs good. ;)
As you joined the forum in 09 just wonder why it has taken you so long to pull the trigger on a Burgman. :scratch:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
"As you joined the forum in 09 just wonder why it has taken you so long to pull the trigger on a Burgman". :scratch:

I joined this site in 2008, but still haven't bought a Burgman 650. However, it will happen soon. The problem I have is parting with my Gold Wing, which I love! Age tells me to make the switch soon.:confused:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I can't comment on an '03 as I have an '08 which is slightly larger and fuel injected - I can tell you that I can cruise 75-80 actual riding two-up with adequate passing pull left on a stock '08 burgman - I've 13K miles and it runs like new.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had an 02 which suffered engine failure. Just keep an eye on the oil levels on this model as some suffer from oil disappearing as you ride.They ride well will cruise all day at 70 and accelerate from that to 90 if you need to go that fast.
I miss badly the bike but unable to buy another at the moment but I suppose I was to fault as I drove 350 plus miles in pouring rain and didn't check the oil at fuel top ups becuase the place is awkward and the ground was flowing with water in scotland.
Up to the point it failed it had been brilliant handling all sorts of roads and even a bit of off road....never failed even though i came of it on loose gravelled roads but over 1000 miles it was a good bike.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
07 with 46k miles and still going strong. I expect to get another 40k out of my 400.

Freeway. No problem. Maintenance, transmission mostly; belt, rollers & clutch every 25k, more or less. Deglaze the clutch pads every 5k or so. Oils, brakes, etc are on par with Motorcycles. Tires every 12k.

A good used 400 is perhaps one of the most economical bikes on the planet. 12 YO is a bit long in the tooth however. But 1500 is cheap enough. Good luck, hope it works out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts