Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my 07 400 has almost 70K on it. I have replaced a lot of stuff and done all the maintenance. It still runs great. and I do not have oil leaks or coolant problems.

I still put about 300 miles a week on it.

I can get another 07 with only 4K on it for about $3,000. It has been sitting a while and the coolant hoses and reservoir have some dried coolant "powder" around the ends of the hoses and edges. It has only been serviced by the dealer but the oil looks like it has been over filled. Not by much and I haven't seen the air filter but I am sure it is full of the oil dust. I drove it and the suspension is a lot tighter. Runs smooth, nice and quiet. Owned by a female experienced rider with some new medical problems. No scratches, garaged.

I am planning on continuing to put 300-400 miles a week on the scooter.

Would you make the switch knowing you are going to have to do the maintenance all over again just for the lower miles?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well, my 07 400 has almost 70K on it. I have replaced a lot of stuff and done all the maintenance. It still runs great. and I do not have oil leaks or coolant problems.

I still put about 300 miles a week on it.

I can get another 07 with only 4K on it for about $3,000. It has been sitting a while and the coolant hoses and reservoir have some dried coolant "powder" around the ends of the hoses and edges. It has only been serviced by the dealer but the oil looks like it has been over filled. Not by much and I haven't seen the air filter but I am sure it is full of the oil dust. I drove it and the suspension is a lot tighter. Runs smooth, nice and quiet. Owned by a female experienced rider with some new medical problems. No scratches, garaged.

I am planning on continuing to put 300-400 miles a week on the scooter.

Would you make the switch knowing you are going to have to do the maintenance all over again just for the lower miles?
Wow, knowing you got 70k out of yours with no major problems gives me great confidence in my purchase. I commute about 25,000 miles a year and some pleasure riding.

If I were you I'd keep what you have honestly. Maybe 2 burgmans? :)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I would keep them both.
+1

It's really nice having a back up bike. If one goes down, you're not so desperate to get it fixed. I ride both of mine every week, love it.

3k sounds a bit high for an 07 400, especially during winter. Lowball an offer and see what happens. Maybe they'll be two bikes on your garage soon.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
My dealer is presently selling a brand new 2011 Burgman 400 for $5,000.

Why would you pay $3,000 for a 7 year old used bike?

·
Administrator
21,765 Posts
My dealer is presently selling a brand new 2011 Burgman 400 for $5,000.

Why would you pay $3,000 for a 7 year old used bike?
Because it's a long way from California to Ohio?
This time of year, its a long way from anywhere to Ohio. :D

I do not ride a 400 so...

I'd see if she would take a bit less, do a good servicing and ride. You all ready know what services are needed on a 07 400, that makes it easier.

Shop around and print some other sales ads with web page links that she can look at to get a real world picture of the winter values in her area. I would not "Low-Ball" her too much, just discount it some due to lack of maintenance and time of year.

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
First of all you would have difficulty selling your prized steed for what you consider the true value. This is largely because the ill informed and unwashed will see the 'high mileage' a huge negative.

The plus points of your bike is that it has rewarded you well for your investment both of your capital and your personal attention in carrying out maintenance. You also know this bike very well, both in what has happened during its operation and under maintenance.

The big negatives of the bike that you have your eye on are; it has been dealer serviced (yet they have not attended to coolant leaks) so it remains doubtful it has anything other than lip service paid to it. You have no idea what it has been subjected to on the road. It requires you to spend significant capital.

My view and advice for what it is worth, is to continue with your faithful steed, enjoying it and maintaining as required and in the process wring its neck in terms of extracting the last bit of $value out of it. Preserve your capital either for higher priority purposes OR for its eventual replacement when your steed turns its toes up.

Of course the above is thinking with your head and we are all guilty of going with our hearts - so if you just fancy a change go for it - but perhaps select a better target!:)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I agree with NormanB except on one detail. Start your search for the replacement now, when you don't need the extra bike. If you wait until the current one dies, you will be at the whim and will of the market at that time. Who knows what will be offered at that time.

If you start now, you can wait until the right bike at the right price comes along. When I decided to get a second bike, I spent months looking, waiting. When an inexpensive 650 with only 3500 miles came on the market, I snapped it up quick.

Speaking of which, thought about an upgrade? My 650 didn't cost much more than that 400 you're thinking of buying, only $300 more actually. It's pretty cool having a choice of ride. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, As I approach 70K, I often wonder how much this little 1 cylinder can take. My main concern is to not be down due to a worn out motor. I know they are tough but I am getting into unchartered territory with the mileage.

She initially had the low mile scooter for sale at $4K. I went and looked. I told her my offering price was no where near what she was asking. I didn't even mention the price I had in mind, $2,500, and I left.

A week later, she advertised the bike at $3k. A lot more in a bargaining range. To me, $2500, change the oil, replace the radiator hoses, thermostat and O ring, it would be really good peace of mind to not be worrying about the mileage.

I wouldn't keep two as one wouldn't get ridden and become a "garage stuffer". Even if I got $1,000 - $1,500 for the high mileage one, it would still be a big plus.

My other vehicle is a 2005 F350 4x4 with a 6.0 diesel. Riding the 400 getting 50 MPG is a lot better than 15 MPG from the diesel.

·
Administrator
21,765 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 400 and a 650. Bought the 400 first. Love both bikes for what they are known for and how they perform. The 650 is not as nimble but I love having the extra power when needed. I also pull a trailer with my 650. If you get a chance,ride a 650 before you purchase another 400. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have a 400 and a 650. Bought the 400 first. Love both bikes for what they are known for and how they perform. The 650 is not as nimble but I love having the extra power when needed. I also pull a trailer with my 650. If you get a chance,ride a 650 before you purchase another 400. Good luck.
+1. They are both fantastic in their own way. You owe it to yourself to at least try the 650.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
And don't forget to try a motorcycle as well, i.e. a Tiger Roadie. Just to compare :)

·
Read Only
1,204 Posts
I've also had both. The 400 is light, nimble and economical like a good mid-sized car. The 650 is quiet, smooth, stable and fast like a luxury car. My 400 got 12-15 MPG better fuel mileage and the tires were about half the cost but It's worth the difference.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If it were my choice, I'd find another engine and rebuild it and put it on the shelf until you need it. You know the current bike inside and out. If you've replaced everything as needed, it should just keep on going.
Flip side- I'll probably get a 650 next time.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I say keep what you have, there are plenty of bikes out there for 2500 bucks..
70000 miles would not scare me, besides you could do a rebuild @150k if it needed it!
Having 2 or 3 bikes is pointless and high maintenance

1 - 20 of 32 Posts