Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If all goes well 5k trip will start in a few weeks. Coming off of bikes with tank bags i'm trying to figure on how I will deal with toll booths. Where have you put the ticket and how have you dealt with the money? I can see the small compartments used for the tickets but something needs to be done to stop it from dissapearing into the back of the opening. Putting money in there has the same issue. Any and all ideas are welcome.
Tks Allen

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
You don't say what bike you have.

The K7+ 400 has lovely big ashtrays on the dashboard for all that so maybe you have a 650?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I just use a small leather zippered pouch that toss in my left glovebox for change. I just put my ticket in a side zippered pocket in my tunnel bag.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The scooter is a 2011 650. I always wear gloves as well as all the other protective gear, so I try an figure a way to minimize the time at the booth. Not every place in the country uses ez pass and i'm not sure my TX one will work in FL or NY.
DougInKY which tunnel bag do you have?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Can you avoid the toll roads? They're mostly freeways anyway which I avoid like bubonic plague. I somehow managed never to pay a toll in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area a few years ago (in a cage), that was a major accomplishment. Where are you riding, if you don't mind?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a small Crown Royal bag that I put change in... Stow it in the left compartment... Some tollways will take a pic of your license plate and send you a bill later... Pretty surer the Texas Tag won't work out of Texas! Wish it would!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I can't remember the last time I was on toll road that I had to keep a ticket. Most ones I deal with are toll booths so I put however much I need on top of my insulated cup in my cup holder in advance. I keep $1 coins for this purpose. If I'm going somewhere I don't know the cost in advance, I put my money someplace I can get to it by removing one glove. Some toll roads don't have toll booths so if you don't have a transmitter for prepay they take a pic of your license plate and send you a bill later.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Miken6mz, Austin to Louisville, then Rochester NY, Randolph center VT, Stony Brook NY, West Chester PA, Baltimore MD, West Palm beach FL,Punta Gorda FL, and then back to Austin. I have relatives I like to visit. The ride is important also.
Allen

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Model28a, the New Jersey Tpky used tickets the last time I was on it. It is also very hard, if not impossible to get to Long Island with out going over a few very expensive bridges.
Allen

·
Registered
16 Posts
Model28a, the New Jersey Tpky used tickets the last time I was on it. It is also very hard, if not impossible to get to Long Island with out going over a few very expensive bridges.
Allen
Getting on to, off of, visiting, living on, and riding on Long Island is expensive, dangerous, crowded, harrowing and very rough on suspension parts. There are very few nice places left here to ride without being crowded out, completely ignored by drivers, or slamming your suspension with a constant barrage of potholes and bumps that used to be potholes, but were "fixed" by an extremely well paid and incredibly slow moving bunch of "professionals".

However, on the up side of living on Long Island, we do have some of the highest taxes in the entire country.
Sorry, I just needed to vent :angry4:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The scooter is a 2011 650. I always wear gloves as well as all the other protective gear, so I try an figure a way to minimize the time at the booth. Not every place in the country uses ez pass and i'm not sure my TX one will work in FL or NY.
I have a Bestem tunnel bag.

·
Registered
770 Posts
If it actually SAYS EZ Pass on the thing, it will work in most states. Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois, New York, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine, Rhode Island, West Virginia, Virginia, and parts of Ontario, Canada all use EZ Pass. Florida does NOT--their SunPass is a different (incompatible?) system.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Miken6mz, Austin to Louisville, then Rochester NY, Randolph center VT, Stony Brook NY, West Chester PA, Baltimore MD, West Palm beach FL,Punta Gorda FL, and then back to Austin. I have relatives I like to visit. The ride is important also.
Allen
Hmm...gimme a day or so. I hate toll roads with a passion, I've done most of those cities at least once, and I think I can put together a route that avoids most tolls. (But not all...offhand, it's REALLY tough to cross the Hudson river without paying.) Is this a trip (get there fast) a ride (back roads), or somewhere in between (50-65MPH secondary highways)?

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I thought about the problem of tolls, money and gloves and did ok by using different areas (left GB for bills, right zippered jacket pocket for change). Recently I bought a $4 textile shoulder bag with many zippered areas for $1s, $5s and quarters and dimes. I don't sweat the nickles. I modified it for the left shoulder and ran a laptop carry belt around the waist to keep it firmly to the body. Also great for small gizmos, Documents, etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The pervious owner of my 07 650 mounted a leather pouch on the steering head cover that was made for a Harley Dresser windshield . Works for putting all kinds of loose things in.

Dan

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jarlaxle. I'm trying to do it in 30 days leaving time to see people in each place. Take super slab when needed, less traveled road when can. I'm not an early on the road but like driving at night . I find I'm less distracted. I try to get a place to over night by about 9or 10 pm. By day three I can do 10 or more hours in the saddle. I have not done that on the Burgman yet, the scooter is new to me. I have made it to Long Island in three days on my Moto Guzzi, and other motorcycles of the past. They are gone and I'm trying it on the 650 Burgman. I'm reaching the age where each trip is a new adventure, as it should be.
Allen

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fumbling with change and toll tickets while riding a Bergman is troublesome, but nowhere as difficult as performing the same task with a motorcycle with a clutch.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts