Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of them are asking on how to start a bike that have no spare key or how to unlock the trunk, etc.
Who can prove that they have their own bikes (not stolen)?. In some cases i was able to help but i didn't and was hoping others do the same.
Hope you share your opinions.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure, but i remember someone even asked about jumbing the ecu or something like that (can't find his post).

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
I guess as a strategy that would be OK, however a lot of those topics have already been covered a number of times so if someone is willing to do a search they could find the answers anyway.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Some of them are asking on how to start a bike that have no spare key or how to unlock the trunk, etc.
Who can prove that they have their own bikes (not stolen)?. In some cases i was able to help but i didn't and was hoping others do the same.
I'm not a cop, don't investigate crime, and don't take it upon myself do maintain a security alert on every scooter on planet Earth. I'll take people at face value until someone demonstrates to me that I should do otherwise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
To me it seems like a gamble that people would keep spare keys under the seat since you know you can't open the seat without the key. So I guess I would make the mistake and try to help them. But does anyone know the Walmart key blank # is. I promise I have my original key and can't find it in the knowledgebase.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
But does anyone know the Walmart key blank # is.
Walmart will not likely have a key-blank for a Suzuki.....
you'll need to go to a regular locksmith shop.
They will have, or can get, an ilco keyblank with a
Suz prefix number, that will work fine....should cost
about $3 each.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'm not a cop, don't investigate crime, and don't take it upon myself do maintain a security alert on every scooter on planet Earth. I'll take people at face value until someone demonstrates to me that I should do otherwise.
Ya, I kind of agree. I don't think it's our job to figure out every members intentions. The very vast majority of which don't have nefarious schemes and just need help.

The only way for any of us to reliably know we're helping the actual owner would be for them to post their drivers license, registration, pink slips, VIN and a picture with the bike, license plate, owner and today's newspaper showing the current date, ala kidnapper style. I don't think anyone wants to go there. :D

Besides, most crooks would not wait around a day or so for us to answer such an inquiry and just use a crow bar to get into a locked trunk.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Walmart will not likely have a key-blank for a Suzuki.....
you'll need to go to a regular locksmith shop.
They will have, or can get, an ilco keyblank with a
Suz prefix number, that will work fine....should cost
about $3 each.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
while I appreciate the caution expressed (I would never have thought about a stolen bike) some of us "newbies" are not only new to scootering but also to being part of a forum. I would not have known to search other posts!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Skeeter just dig around, you'll find a wealth of knowledge here. Probably most every subject has been covered at least once! Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
This is probably a bigger issue for those overseas than for us here in the USA. Burgmans are not big theft targets around here. Heck when my son's sport bike was stolen they did not even bother with his wife's 400 sitting right by it. Both were secured with the same chain so when they cut it all they had to do was load hers up along with his.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
This is probably a bigger issue for those overseas than for us here in the USA. Burgmans are not big theft targets around here. Heck when my son's sport bike was stolen they did not even bother with his wife's 400 sitting right by it. Both were secured with the same chain so when they cut it all they had to do was load hers up along with his.
Lol. Very true. I can't tell you how many people I've offered to ride my Burgman flatly refused because it was a scooter. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
My buddy had his Ninja 300 stolen at a biker meet up.
Funny thing is my Burgman was moved to get to his bike and my keys were left in the ignition.
No love for the scooter not even from a thief! LOL

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My buddy had his Ninja 300 stolen at a biker meet up.
Funny thing is my Burgman was moved to get to his bike and my keys were left in the ignition.
LOL
What an insult! A-Hole thief :grin

Let's hope they don't figure out what the plastics, etc are worth.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
On a similar note...

When I am on the road overnight I try to park my Burgman next to a nice Harley or Goldwing. I figure that the thieves are going to take that bike instead of mine. I have been doing this for years with various bikes I have owned.

Doug

·
Registered
939 Posts
On a similar note...

When I am on the road overnight I try to park my Burgman next to a nice Harley or Goldwing. I figure that the thieves are going to take that bike instead of mine. I have been doing this for years with various bikes I have owned.

Doug
Lmao, that's why I love the 650 over smaller models too. It's too heavy for two guys to quickly throw in the back of the truck and be off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts