Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '07 400 recently got hit and sustained some damage to the exterior/body. The repair estimate, which was high because it lists replacement parts that I wouldn't necessarily switch out because it wasn't damaged from this incident (e.g. center and side kick stand) was high enough for the insurance company to decide not to fix it and just cut me a check to replace the bike. Though it has 35K miles, the bike itself is in great shape and rides well-been maintained. My question: is the amount they are offering negotiable? This is the first time I've had to deal with them and just want to make sure I'm not taken for a ride or getting the short end of the monetary stick with what they are going to give me. It will be in the $3500-4000 range and from what my mechanic says is decent. I would like to replace it with a new bike, ideally something bigger like a 500-650 CC scooter. But because I will be buying in late Feb-early March, I imagine I will be spending more than when I bought last time as it was at the end of the year and I negotiated a good deal with the dealer.

So I'm curious as to what experience others may have had when dealing with receiving replacement funds...can you 'counter' one's insurance company with a different amount? Is that based on research on used sales in your own local market (e.g. craigslist)? I appreciate any stories or examples of the options I have if any at all.

On a separate but related note, I'd love any suggestions or recommendations on which bike I should look into getting...Burgman 650? Honda Silver Wing..though I'd rather not pay higher "Honda" prices? A Suzuki model? The BMW is way out of my price range. :) Thanks

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Well with that mileage and age that offer sounds good to me. Have you thought about kymco they have a 500 cc scooter , in fact they are advertising on this site ? I loved my 650 burgman but traded for a larger touring bike, price wise you may not get a late used 650 for the insurance offer. Anyway something to chew on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff. Just to be clear....I'm not expecting the funds I get to fully cover a newer model replacement. I intend to pay the difference myself. Ideally, I would like a new scooter and not a used one.

I had never heard of Kymco before seeing their ad. Not familiar with the brand, manufacturer or history.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My 08 400 was totaled last July 1. The lowballed me on their first offer and refused to consider mine. I was an insurance adjuster for over 31 years and I had a ball driving the adjuster nuts. The way to get a fair price for your scooter is research and documentation. They base their initial offer on scooters that CCC found as comparable scooters to mine. After they made an offer, I asked for their documentation. They sent me the printout with the description, location and price of their replacements. I then compared each one they found with my bike and adjusted the price to make them the same. I also called the owners and dealers to find out the service history, any drops and the condition of the tires and the rest of the machine. When I got finished and sent the information to the adjuster, I increased my demand and asked the adjuster to show me where my research was inaccurate. I also asked for the name, address and phone number of his manager. He called me back and his offer was within $50 of my original demand that I accepted. Their initial offer was a little over $3,100 and my settlement was a little over $3,800. I also offered to buy back the salvage for $500 and they accepted it. I sold it for $1,200 to a friend based on his offer. Keep detailed records of all conversations with the times you talked with them and follow up everything in writing. Since 99.9% of adjusters know little about motorcycles and even less about scooters, good records and documentation completes their file and gives them justification for the payment.

ps. If you can get $3,500 or better, I would grab it and run.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mathewsf,

I retired a couple of years ago from being President of an aviation insurance company so maybe I can help.

Without seeing your policy I can't know exactly what total loss settlement provisions you have, but it is my understanding that most motorcycle policies are on an "actual cash value (ACV) " basis which essentially means "book" value. The other possibility is that it is on a replacement value basis with which I am less familiar.

Regardless, if you can document reasons for an above average value, either ACV or replacement, provide those to the adjuster. It will put you in the best possible bargaining pozition.

The adjusters must settle the claim in accordance with the policy provisions, but the adjusters generally have some latitude if they have some valid documentation.

i would also encourage you to present your position in a pleasant way. Remember, adjusters are frequently being told by customers that the totalled vehicle is worth more than it really is. A pleasant, "winsome", rational negotiation on your part will work best, unless the adjuster is a complete jerk. Jerk adjusters don't usually last long. They sure didn't in my company.

I hope this helps.

Jim

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Thanks Jeff. Just to be clear....I'm not expecting the funds I get to fully cover a newer model replacement. I intend to pay the difference myself. Ideally, I would like a new scooter and not a used one.

I had never heard of Kymco before seeing their ad. Not familiar with the brand, manufacturer or history.
Understood, just saying a used 650 is a little more than the 400, I guess that's obvious but was just saying :D

Kymco and BMW are partners on the BMW scooter, so worth a look! Imho

http://www.kymco.com/news/content.asp?NewsId={90EC11BF-AD91-45A7-BCE2-D72F576238BC}

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
What is book?

I bought a 400 (2011) with ABS in Dec 2012 with 5100 miles for $4150. Clean except for a few minor scuffs from when the PO forgot the side kickstand one day. I covered the scuffs with striping.

I would think $3500 on a 2007 with those miles would be a deal. Plenty for sale on Craiglist for that and newer ones.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I agree with Paul and others. That price is pretty good with those miles. I got my K8 400 with 9,400 miles for $2k.
You don't say where you are but I know I've seen a low mileage 650 in one of the surrounding areas for $3850. I'm in the south.
Personally, I wouldn't go for a new one. But that's just me. Nothing against them except I let the first buyer take the depreciation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I have researched, this is indeed a very good pay out so I will take it without an issue. Per the comment above from itlives, I got a great deal when I bought the '07 as I researched the dealer invoice (price) and bought at the end of the year (Dec. '06) when they had incentives to make sales. I'd be reluctant to buy something used from someone...would only do it if the seller would allow me to take it in to the shop for a diagnostic/mechanical onceover, and not sure if they would allow me to do that. My plan is to keep it for many years and get good use out of it. Had the accident not happened, I would still continue to drive the '07 as it was in great shape. Maybe I'm over reacting about my fear of getting something used.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'd be reluctant to buy something used from someone...would only do it if the seller would allow me to take it in to the shop for a diagnostic/mechanical onceover, and not sure if they would allow me to do that.
Though that does sound like a good plan, finding a mechanic who knows anything at all about a Burgman is one heck of an accomplishment. I've certainly never found one.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Though that does sound like a good plan, finding a mechanic who knows anything at all about a Burgman is one heck of an accomplishment. I've certainly never found one.
ChipDoc, I'm lucky that I have an excellent mechanic on this side of the bay. IMO Robert, at Seminole Scooters is the best mechanic I've found. He is a master metric mechanic trained in Germany. I have allot of respect for his knowledge and his work.

I'm glad that there are people out there that hate to buy something used. It's those people that make good used scooters out there for us that can't afford to bye new.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Matthew, I found if you complain to the insurance co just a little they will up the offer. And as for the Kymco they make a great, great scooter with a great warranty to boot. The only reason I'm not riding one right now is I don't fit one. They are either to big or to small. Nothing in between. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Payment Received-Now Getting Replacement

Any thoughts on which direction to go between the 650 and Honda Silver Wing, which is a 600 (582cc)? Interested in their durability and maintenance costs. Any preference on model years to look for or stay away from? Clearly, if I go with a used model I have a wider range of previous years. For new, I can still go with a 2013 or '14.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
matthewsf, odds are here on burgmanusa.com you will be advised to go for the 650. Guess what I think they would advise on the Silverwing forum ?;)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It really boils down to a matter of taste. The Burgman and the Silverwing are both capable machines. So are the Piaggi, T-Max, Kymco, BMW, etc, for that matter. And each has its flaws.

Go pick something that you love, and those flaws won't bother you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts