Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ride-On pressure monitor was blinking last night. Inspection showed a nail with a slow leak --- slow enough to top-off and get ten miles home? Didn't want to chance it so my boss pulled the nail and installed a plug. Did the trick.

Called the dealer and they now refuse to patch m/c tires (legal liability?).

Daboo once posted a link with shops which will change tires more cheaply than dealers. Can anyone direct me to that link?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've twice pulled nails from motorcycle/scooter tires and put "Slime" into them and never had another problem. No need for a patch or plug.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Most dealers won't patch a tire these days. It's true of car tires too. If you want them patched, you need to have bought them from a tire dealer and bought the road hazard protection - then they'll patch your car tires. With a motorcycle tire, it's either DIY or SOL.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I actually got a tire shop to patch a hole in the sidewall of my car tire about a year ago. It worked long enough for me to get a new tire shipped in from the tire rack, so I was quite grateful for their help. They did warn me not to expect too much from the tire though.

It seems like you can get more helpful assistance from the shops that are located in the less affluent sections of town. I suppose they're a little less paranoid about legal liability.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
They don't patch tires because they sell new ones.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you can find someone that will plug patch them it will last. I had a rear tire with two of them, and it lasted me till the tread wore out. I think every rear tire I've put on has been patch plugged except for one, that had a 4 inch nail that went through the tread and out the sidewall and they all lasted me till the tread wore out. I pick up a lot of nails~!! Good luck~!

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have plugged a few and ran them until they wore out...you can't expect a business to do that for you though, you know how it works in life...It will be their fault no matter how they fix it, ( it's not worth the money they barely make) and somebody will want their liability, ask any lawyer.
When things go wrong, fingers get pointed faster than a greyhound on a jack rabbit!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got my tire patched when I got a screw in it mind you I live in Canada which is less litigious than the States. It cost me close to $100 though but lasted the life of the tire.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>I live in Canada which is less litigious than the States.<<

Hey, don't you know that's our favorite national pastime?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts