Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped in to PowerSportsPro in Omaha today to pick up a quart of oil, some cleaning supplies, and a cargo net. I got quite the surprise!

This is a large Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Ducati dealership with a huge showroom. They used to keep the scooters along the far wall, about as far away from the front door as you can get.

Today I walked in and the first thing I saw was a Silver Burgman 650. It was parked right in front of the reception area. Right in your face as you walk into the dealership. Just behind the reception area were the rest of the Super Scooters (400cc and larger). Down the isle, in front of the accessory and parts area, are the smaller scooters (250cc and smaller). Basically, you cannot walk into this dealership to look at motorcycles or buy accessories without seeing the scooters. They now have the prime floorspace.

I looked for the sales manager, but did not see him. They are only open for 4 hours on Sunday, so he may have taken the day off. This may be a temporary experiment, but I am interested in his thoughts and strategy. Either scooter sales are lagging and he is trying to jumpstart sales, or scooter sales are strong and he is trying to capitalize on it. I'll try to catch up with him during the week.

I went to my favorite parts/accessory guy to check out with my purchases. He was previously a mechanic at the dealership. I mentioned that for the first time in 16000 miles my scooter had consumed enough oil so that I needed to top it up. This happened during my Kansas tour last week. I am down just a hair below the low level mark in the sight glass. I mentioned the engine failure problem that Bill Meek had suffered and Suzuki's initial reluctance to warranty the repair. He said that I would likely run into the same hastle with any of the Japanese brands. None of them are too eager to step up to the plate in a situation like that. In fact, he said that Yamaha is probably the worst. He has seen similar situations where Yamaha eventually agreed to supply the parts, but the bike owner had to pay for all labor. At $70/hr, that's not a good deal. Interesting.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
He has seen similar situations where Yamaha eventually agreed to supply the parts, but the bike owner had to pay for all labor. At $70/hr, that's not a good deal.
Thank goodness I have a Suzuki rather than a Yamaha. :wink:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
During the riding season they are open 7 days a week, just 4 hours on Sunday though. During the off season (Winter), they have more limited hours of course.

On Sunday the service department is not open. On Saturday though, you can ride in without an appointment for an oil change or minor maintenance. First come first served.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well Paul I am glad to hear that besides grain silos in the downtown area that Omaha has a motorcycle shop! I use to live in Omaha, weirdest weather I have ever seen. Best of luck to you :)

Evelyn

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
My dealer is set up pretty much the same way. The Burg 650 and 400 are right next to the accessories/reception Desks. Last year the Honda Rune occupied this spot.

·
Registered
719 Posts
pauljo said:
This happened during my Kansas tour last week.
I recall you mentioning the trip, I think it was 1k miles. Have you written a ride report? I've never ridden out that way and would be interested in your impression. Thanks

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
The only dealer I have in my town is Yamaha. He has all his scooters lined up on the main aisle leading to the parts/service desk. The quads and dirt bikes behind on that side. Last time I talked to him he'd sold 5 majesties and several more smaller scooters. I've seen a couple Ms riding around town. He keeps his used bikes on the other side of the aisle, with the new ones behind them. I'm guessing the prices on the used bikes give customers less sticker shock so they aren't scared away after looking at the easiest ones to see.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Evelyn said:
Well Paul I am glad to hear that besides grain silos in the downtown area that Omaha has a motorcycle shop! I use to live in Omaha, weirdest weather I have ever seen. Best of luck to you :)

Evelyn
Omaha has at least three M/C dealers. PowerSportsPro is the big one. There is also a small family run Triumph dealership, and I believe someone started a BMW dealership here recently (I haven't checked that one out yet). I've also heard that there is a small shop that sells KTM motorcycles.

As for the weather, you speak the truth! A 20 mph wind is referred to as a "breeze" out here. A day with no wind is rare. High heat and humidity in the Summer, frigid temps in the Winter. It doesn't know how to just rain. Rain is almost always accompanied by thunder & lightening, hail (sometimes quite large), high winds, and the occasional tornado. But the weirdest thing is that during the Summer it does not cool off as the sun goes down. It it was 95 degrees during the afternoon it can still be 85 degrees at midnight. Somewhere around 3am it cools down. I try to get most of my riding done in the morning during the Summer. The best riding months are actually September and October. During those months it actually does cool down in the evening.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I know how quickly the weather can change. I was new to Omaha and did not know where I was going. I was also at the furtherist end of town which I think was 120th st at the time. I got lost because a snow storm hit and I could not see where I was going. Somehow I got off the main road (if you can call it that) and wound up on some 4 x 4 track going off to God only knows where. I thought to myself, this is where people read in Readers Digest, woman found in snow bank during spring thaw!!! Fortunately, I was able to turn myself around and get out of there.

One could also ride down the road with a tornado on one side and a beautiful sunny day on the other. And it's always fun to hear the brdcsts. of the tornado chasers. I am glad that I am here in Hotlanta! Again best of luck to you :)

Evelyn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts