Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the local dealer today to pick up the riding gear I had ordered. I decided to take it over to "Scooter row" and try it on there. That way I could see how the jackets and riding pants felt while sitting on a Burgman 650. Yes, I rode mine there, but it was cold outside.

The sales manager came over and started talking. I hadn't visited with him for awhile, and he was in a talkative mood.

I got distracted talking with him, which seriously slowed me down with trying on the new stuff. I finally got the first jacket on and properly zipped up and velcroed and sat down on the scooter. Still chatting away. He paused for a second and then said "Why are you sitting on the 400 when I pulled the 650 out for you?". Sure enough, I look down at the dash and it has these round gauges - and there is the 650 nicely pulled out from the row of scooters over to my right. :shock: :?

But some of the conversation was worth passing on. And the 400 was a reasonably comfortable place to sit and chat anyway. :lol:

He had just sold a black 2004 AN650. He said that he had told the new owner about me and even logged on and showed him the BurgmanUSA site. He went to the office and came back with the customer's phone number & asked me to give him a call because he'd like to talk with me. I think it is pretty cool that we are being recommended to new owners by dealer personnel.

We talked about product support. I mentioned the warranty hastle that Bill ran into with his blown 400 engine. I asked if Honda was still better in supporting their products. He said "No". He said that Suzuki will usually step up and do what they should, but for anything that might be caused by the owner they give out a canned denial of coverage answer first. In his opinion Kawaski is by far the best company for customer & product support. (Unfortunately they don't do super scooters - yet.) He said Yamaha is pretty good also - he just bought a new FJR1300 for himself.

There was a pretty charcoal silver Yamaha Majesty right next to us. I remarked that it seems to be very serious competition for the Burgman 400. There was also a blue one on the floor. He said that he hasn't sold one yet. He stated that Yamaha needs to get on the ball and start promoting them. He also offered to let me have a Majesty for a weekend if I would write a review on it. He seemed quite serious.

He did ask me what kind of tire mileage we get. I guess prospective buyers ask that question a lot. I know we pick on these dealer guys (and sometimes they truly deserve it). But when they show an interest, it's good to help them out. I don't think the manufacturer's do a very good job in supporting them with "real world" information.

Later on I called Rod - the new Burgman 650 owner. He had put 200 miles on his new scooter and was very impressed with it. Like me he has been riding motorcycles for about 40 years, and he currently owns a big bike (Yamaha Road Star I think). We should be getting together for a ride soon.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Interesting stuff, Paul.

"Scooter Row"? Sounds like the dealership's a mite bigger than the one I've got. At one point he had a 400 and a 650 in the showroom at the same time, and that was exciting! :D

Sounds like a quality dealer. I'd suggest taking him up on the Majesty ride, but I know you're long in the leg. That's one thing that steered me away from the Majesty: not much legroom (and no butt stop to remove). Might make for a long weekend if you're riding with your knees in the breeze!

Simon

1 - 2 of 2 Posts