Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:
Just yesterday I took the bait and bought a new silver Burgman 400. It was a "fair" deal, I'd guess; after all, the poor starving sales guy needed at least one sale yet this year. He even delivered it to my place in the country 89 miles, by riding it... which initiated its "break-in".
But... before I rolled it out the door, the dealership sub-manager did his best to sell me their 3 yr maintenance contract.... all required/scheduled maintenance plus two sets of new tires (afte 12 months and 24 months).
I asked how much the 1st 600 mile service would run and was "guesstimated" a figure of about $299, which sounds pretty high to me.
Their contract price? $465/yr for three years, or a total of $1395. That would equal $38.75/month.
I declined it... but can still "sign up" before the first scheduled service.
So... I'm wondering if it's at all reasonable.
Any comments??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, but did they include two new sets of tires?
That must total around $390 or so.
Cheers,

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think you should use that money and buy a service manual so
you can learn more about your new bike. Changing the oil is pretty easy.

And about the tires, they must have some old stock they want to get rid off.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
You have to do a lot of miles (excepting punctures) to need new tyres every year - pay as you go on rubber may be a better option. However in your negotiating you could say here is $10 if you cannot provide tyres at a competitive price within 24 hours of me needing them you can give me $200!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Loren, anybody can do the oil and filter and gear oil change. If you can do any mechanical work at all, the only thing left is adjusting the valves, and this is pretty easy after getting all the plastic off to get to the motor. Theres some pics in the gallery showing this, and numerous write-ups describing it. After going thru it once, its pretty easy. We're finding that on most of our 400's the first adjustment called for at 600 miles does not require anything. Personally, I'd let it go till 4000 or so and then do it. We've also noted that at the second adjustment there was very little adj needed, suggesting that the valves had seated in about a much as they were going to. If you arn't comfortable doing it, maybe you can link up with someone in your area more mechanically inclined to help you thru the first time. I wouldn't pay the high costs that the dealers charge; theres been numerous instances of them charging for the valve adj and never doing it. Other than that, about all they do is oil and filter. They may clean the air filter which only requires washing and reoiling. That surely isn't $299 worth! Extended warranty from Oneida Suzuki, no maint or tires involved, is $333, and you can wait till just before your 1 year warrenty runs out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info an encouragement! Yeah, I know there's lots of
details already on this site, so I'll probably get the shop manual. Any suggestions of a better source than the dealer? There must be!
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
You just got the bike and the dealer will be looking toward more sales in extras so now is the time to get his best price on a manual
There are some fair prices on the net but by the time you add postage you lose any advantage most times. :(
You have time so shop around for a while. :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
ScooteRVer said:
Any suggestions of a better source than the dealer?
Ron Ayers used to have a really good deal on the 2003 400 manual. One of the other forum members attempted to order it and was sent the floowing in an email :

Suzuki has superseded the service manual that you ordered to an updated version. Unfortunately, the superseded part is more expensive than the part you ordered. The cost for the manual is $57.33 instead of $23.33.

Given the price hike, I'd purchase the manual from Oneida Suzuki instead who ship much faster than Ron Ayers.

·
Registered
553 Posts
ScooteRVer said:
Hi All:
But... before I rolled it out the door, the dealership sub-manager did his best to sell me their 3 yr maintenance contract.... all required/scheduled maintenance plus two sets of new tires (afte 12 months and 24 months).
I asked how much the 1st 600 mile service would run and was "guesstimated" a figure of about $299, which sounds pretty high to me.
Their contract price? $465/yr for three years, or a total of $1395. That would equal $38.75/month.
I declined it... but can still "sign up" before the first scheduled service.
So... I'm wondering if it's at all reasonable.
Any comments??
The first 600 mile service seems really high to me. My dealer told me that the 600 mile service would be $96.00, the 4000 mile service would be $116.00 and the 7000 mile service would be $161.00

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
SW...sounds like you have an honest dealer. Mine, like many others, tossed out the $$200-300 fiigure. And I know with certainty that two 400's in my area were charged for the 600 mile valve adj and it wasn't done. You can tell when nary a screw, wire, or piece of plastic has not been touched.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The 600 mile service on my 400 cost just over $220. $175 (3.5 hours at $50 per hour) was for the checking / adjusting the valves. If they're quoting you a price, get that quote in writing with a list of what it covers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Procaliber, Vancouver, WA stated their shop labor at $72/hr.... so that's
how they justify the $250-295 for the 600 mile check.
I'll be checking other dealerships in NW OR when I get to around 500 miles. If they're all "outa sight", I'll get the shop manual and DO IT.
BTW, an e-mail to Oneida Suzuki brought their quote of $50 for the Burgman 400 shop manual.
Cheers,

·
Registered
553 Posts
swstiles said:
The first 600 mile service seems really high to me. My dealer told me that the 600 mile service would be $96.00, the 4000 mile service would be $116.00 and the 7000 mile service would be $161.00
Even though my dealer seems to be honest and has quoted me a fair price
I have already paid for the service manual (the updated version) which has not gotton here yet, but I will learn to do my own. Less expensive and
I know it will be done right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts