Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I am going to start this thread out called "deal of the day" , it's for every one to use . Register any bike scooter or not , from Craigslist eBay or what ever that you think is note worthy .

I will start it out with this (dead link)
Hopefully others will follow up .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yesterday, while on a breakfast ride met a Harley rider who told me about a widow friend of his who was interested in selling her deceased husbands Burgman 400. It was only a few miles from the restaurant so rode over to see it. It was covered with dust, battery dead, a few scratches, etc. The rear tire looks quite new, but she had no idea of the mileage but did say they bought it new in 2006 or 2007. She had mostly ridden with her husband as pillion but never left the state.

I told her that I would ask for opinions on this site, get back with her, etc. KBB lists the high book at $2500, low $1625. I may buy it myself if she would take the lower amount, but really don't want it.

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
Would depend a bit on how long it's been sitting. If it's been sitting a month or so then probably mid rangish depending on miles & conditionals. That assumes KBB is reasonably accurate for that bike in your area.

All fluids are a likely need if it's been sitting more than a few months.
Tires, even if they look good at a glance, are a possible need as well.
Beyond that, belt and rollers are possible, perhaps a valve check as well depending.
All of that weighs into what I'd pay for it objectively, & could potentially bring the price lower than KBB, or make it a no go for me.
Subjectively there's probably some karma in helping out a widow, so maybe bump up a bit for that.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Would depend a bit on how long it's been sitting. If it's been sitting a month or so then probably mid rangish depending on miles & conditionals. That assumes KBB is reasonably accurate for that bike in your area.

All fluids are a likely need if it's been sitting more than a few months.
Tires, even if they look good at a glance, are a possible need as well.
Beyond that, belt and rollers are possible, perhaps a valve check as well depending.
All of that weighs into what I'd pay for it objectively, & could potentially bring the price lower than KBB, or make it a no go for me.
Subjectively there's probably some karma in helping out a widow, so maybe bump up a bit for that.
I believe that your opinion is spot on. I think she told me that her husband died about 6 months ago, age 67. The battery did have a charger attached but was unplugged from an outlet.

In reality, I wouldn't pay over about $1400. No doubt it needs all the things you mentioned, maybe more. I'm sure the Burgman has very low mileage. I made a comment about the rear tire looking new, to which she said, "replaced because of a nail". The garage was a little too dark for a good inspection, plus cluttered with ATV's, boats, etc.

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both of the above are perfect bikes for some one just starting out , the likelihood of them dropping it or running into some thing is almost a certainty , so the losses are for them are kept at a minimum .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I forgot to mention that the 400 had a manufacture date of 2004. Apparently, the 400 was a left over model, bought in Coldwater, MI.

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,682 Posts
Basically a NEW 2006 standard , looks real NICE !
TheReaper!

Dead Link
That's a great price on a very low mileage 06 650! Now I wish I would have seen that one first before I bought mine. But that's OK, I got a fine one too. That sure will make a nice ride for someone. Not far from me either, about 35 miles from me. I would go look at it, but too busy on Monday having to go do the title work and insurance on the 650 I just bought. Also Doctor on Monday. I told my brother he ought to get it, he's within a couple of miles of it. But he's scared of anything with two wheels!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
A couple of days ago, I visited the Yamaha/Indian dealer near me. He recently took a 2009 Executive in on trade for a new Indian sidecar rig. The white Executive has just 500 miles on the odometer, absolutely like new, original owner. Price was about $4500. However, he thought it may be sold shortly, very interested looker, etc. The Burgman appeared to have original tires, etc. I don't really consider this an exceptional deal, but the low mileage was amazing.

·
Administrator
18,382 Posts
A couple of days ago, I visited the Yamaha/Indian dealer near me. He recently took a 2009 Executive in on trade for a new Indian sidecar rig. The white Executive has just 500 miles on the odometer, absolutely like new, original owner. Price was about $4500. However, he thought it may be sold shortly, very interested looker, etc. The Burgman appeared to have original tires, etc. I don't really consider this an exceptional deal, but the low mileage was amazing.
Back in 2010 I bought a 2008 Gold Burgman with 305 miles on it. It was $5100 and the dealer delivered it to my door 150 miles from his 2nd store when doing a parts run to his 1st store near me. A farmer bought it for his wife so she could ride it to the cherry and apple fields but it was too heavy for her. She traded it in for a KL650 with 50 miles on the Burgman. So the dealer rode it for 255 miles. They did not want to sell it but it was winter time and it was taking up snowmobile space at his dealer.

Reactions: E.D. and gec343

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call this the deal of the day , but I would FOR SURE call it interesting . TheReaper!
A bit, close by and such but would still need fresh tires, probably oil, brake fluid, coolant, a valve check/set soon enough.
It also isn't an exec, & his price is nice but not spectacular.

If it was an exec I might look him up.

·
2,682 Posts
Low mileage 06' 650 Exec with a nice aluminum open trailer in Clermont Florida

Here's a Low mileage 06' 650 Exec with a nice aluminum open trailer in Clermont Florida (near Orlando on SR 50).
7K miles, $5k for Bike and Trailer. Has been Garaged. It sounds good to me. Just hook on and take it home!
If I didn't already have an 06', I would be going to look at it.
Cheers!

·
2,682 Posts
At the very least wouldn't it make sense for the seller to wash it before taking pictures and posting it?
I don't wash mine. If you want it clean, then wash it yourself.

·
Administrator
18,382 Posts
I don't wash mine. If you want it clean, then wash it yourself.
When mine needs washed, I just ride in the rain and then find a Freeway Cloverleaf and spin dry it in the corners. :devil

·
Administrator
18,382 Posts
I like the Mana GT with its computer controlled Vairator but for one thing, it has a Rubber Band belt like a Burgman 400 and at 20,000 miles it needs to be changed. Problem you have is, it takes special tools, you can buy them for $$, and it requires the Factory authorized SCAN tool to reset the computer or it goes in to "RAIN" mode. The cost of a new belt, the tools and reset FEE is about $1200 now. Third belt change will be less as you have the tools.

So buy one new, ride it for 19,000 miles and trade it for a new model, DONE! :wink

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bad deal if you paid 12K U.S. for it , but 6K U.S. makes it a little more palatable ? I looked it up and saw that it is a considerable undertaking to replace the belt . With the European vehicles you have to have a dealer scan tool to change a headlight , so I'm not surprised about the scan tool dilemma . All things considered it's hard to beat a low mile Burgman 650 , at least for this geezer .

TheReaper!

I like the Mana GT with its computer controlled Vairator but for one thing, it has a Rubber Band belt like a Burgman 400 and at 20,000 miles it needs to be changed. Problem you have is, it takes special tools, you can buy them for $$, and it requires the Factory authorized SCAN tool to reset the computer or it goes in to "RAIN" mode. The cost of a new belt, the tools and reset FEE is about $1200 now. Third belt change will be less as you have the tools.

So buy one new, ride it for 19,000 miles and trade it for a new model, DONE! :wink

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
How cool is that!!!

You could take both the dog AND the significant other; BOTH at the same time. OR you could be the guy that gets to haul all the beer to the party; of course you take your fee out in kind - a percentage of the stock moved.
:wink

Park that sucker in any Canadian parking lot, and you can plug your c-pap into any one of the block heater outlets. Sure you sleep sitting up in the side car but your legs are fully extended. :smile

Reactions: xringracing

·
Administrator
18,382 Posts
"Rebuilt Title" Salvage?
Doesn't bother me much for 2 reasons. I ride one myself, and this happens mostly due to insurance company's totally them due to broken plastics.
If you are looking for a "Long Term Ride" and can get a real good deal then Rebuilt Title means little to me.

If you are looking for a "Ride it for a month and FLIP it", then NO its not a good idea.

Reactions: xringracing
1 - 20 of 127 Posts