Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

What to do with your dead body?

• Regular burial, casket, hole in the ground, local grounds.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cremate - keep you hanging around on someone's mantle.

• Cremate - sprinkle the ashes somewhere special.

• Trash compactor and a hole in the backyard!

• Burial at sea.

• Something not listed here (please describe).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't given this a whole lot of thought. Some - but notta lot.

What do you want to have happen with your remains? (Hey - since we have a dangerous lifestyle, this is sort of salient huh?) I have a regular burial planned for me on board NAS Pensacola. Nothing special. But in my travel I've heard about all sorts of "different" body disposal desires. I am not a religious guy, so I hope this poll doesn't end up offending anyone. I am just curious. 2 day poll.

·
Registered
925 Posts
It may sound sick, but I want to be put in a clear casket and set in the middle of my living room for everyone to see!! :twisted: That is unless I am horribly mangled, then put me on the front lawn :twisted: :twisted:

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm - interesting JD! 8)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I lean towards cremation.
But since I don't think I will complain no matter what --there is no sense worrying about it 8)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cremation - even tho im on the outside "looking in" is a bit, uh...well, stiff (scuze the pun!)

shoot - dunno - at least it cuts back on the real estate requirements! kinda eco-ish huh?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I am going to be buried without a casket and naked, face down, rear up so my wife has a place to park her 400 when she visits :D

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very good casek! I hope your arse doesnt let her bike go!!! :lol: maybe if you "do yourself" in concrete?! kinda like those poor vesuvius pompe' face down stiffs!?
OMG!
A living-monument arse-mounted bike rack! Now that is a different kind of use isn't it? hope it adds to the decorum next to the planters... :wink:

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Well..... If I had a choice of knowing when I was going to die or where I was going to die. I think I would have to pic where and when I tell you why I think you will agree with me. You see, if you know where I'm going to die, I could live for ever. Hows that you say, well.....I just wouldn't ever go there.
Happy trails,
Poppy

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm already UnDead...

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Probably a regular burial. Cremation is a thought. It's cheaper. I'm sure my husband will do whatever he feels is right.

·
Registered
848 Posts
It really doesn't matter to me. Once my time on this earth is over my body will be like a candy bar wrapper. All the good stuff inside will be gone and all that's left is the wrapper. Personally, I don't have a collection of wrappers that I look at remembering fondly every sweet bite. The disposal of my body is far less important than the memories of who I was, and what I shared.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is a non-answer answer, to explain why my choice was Not Listed Above.

Inasmuch as I do not expect to be there inside that buncha skin, I have no preference. Whatever kind of show-and-tell and what-do-we-do-with-this that may happen next, is for the sake of those who are left behind. Remembering, chuckling, lamenting, gossiping, sighs of relief. Whatever. It'd be good somehow to manage to be Tom Sawyer in the balcony on this one. Or maybe not -- would I really like to hear what people say then?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Related to this...have you all done your wills? Also, have you done "living wills" or explained to your family when or if you'd like to be disconnected from life support? I'm an ex-ICU RN, and believe, me, it is important to do so. The Terry Schiavo case is horrible, so please everyone, given that if one cage makes a mistake, we could all be like her, please talk to your family and get something down in writing. Not for yourself, but for the family you'll leave behind - to decrease THEIR anguish and stress.

off my podium now.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I totally agree with you Flint. I am going to have a living will drawn up soon, mainly because I have a baby on the way, and I want to be prepared just in case. I would be stupid not to.

·
Registered
857 Posts
JD said:
I totally agree with you Flint. I am going to have a living will drawn up soon, mainly because I have a baby on the way, and I want to be prepared just in case. I would be stupid not to.
I have three now (all under 5) and one due in July. Life is good. Had my (first) will and living will (advanced directive) and a few other legal papers drawn up earlier this year. My will (actually a joint will with my wife) also includes instructions for who gets our kids if we both die...ugh. What a horrendous discussion and debate between me and my wife. We are happy with our final decision, but wow, what angst for a few months.

·
Registered
106 Posts
flintbobbi said:
I have three now (all under 5) and one due in July. Life is good. Had my (first) will and living will (advanced directive) and a few other legal papers drawn up earlier this year.
This is actually turning out a less morbid thread than first appeared likely. My own little soap-platform here: if you can possibly afford it, try for a living revocable trust. Not a boiler plated paralegal document, but the real thing. Many benefits to your heirs, peace of mind for everybody. Of course the initial dollars out of pocket may make this a prohibitive option now. But it's worth saving for. Having said that, something -- anything -- is probably better than nothing, unless a) you have no assets, or b) you have some fool-proof means of not dying.

·
Registered
857 Posts
james_eric said:
...something -- anything -- is probably better than nothing, unless a) you have no assets, or b) you have some fool-proof means of not dying.
OR:

c) You figure out how to spend it all before you go.... (That's me) I keep telling my Father (84 yrs old) to find some 25 year old chickadee and have a party for a few years.....Might as well go out happy. For some reason my siblings don't like it when I say this...
:twisted:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Recent events have revealed that many states have laws that allow doctors to pull the plug if the damage appears irreversible and there is no means of payment. One such state is Texas. The bill allowing these events was signed into law by the same guy that made such a show of flying back to DC to try and help congress save Terri Shiavo.... meanwhile a 6 month old infant had his life support pulled in Texas as the mother protested.
Right to life, indeed.
Such events make the issue of a living will actually moot for most of us.
Since most of us do not have the means to pay for lengthly medical treatment, we can expect the hospital administrators to focus on their fiscal responsibilities when the client cannot be recovered or healed.
In which event I expect to be cremated and thrown out with the trash once my services are no longer available.
...story of my life, to be continued post mortem...

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Dead but no buried...

I want to be cremated (after anything usable is doled out to those in need) and my ashes strewn out to sea. When I am not above water enjoying life in sunny Florida I am underwater. Hence my handle - Scubagirl.

Hubby and I have wills and our families know our wishes. We are looking into several different trusts so that we can provide for the kids after we are gone as well.

I don't find thinking about wills or "funeral arrangements" morbid at all. I think it is the responsible thing to do.

The discussion over who gets the kids was AGONIZING for us since we have very different ideas on raising kids than our families and most of our friends. The one person we would like to get them is irresponsible with money so we would have to have someone manage their trust.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts