Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Today I went to set off, turned on the ignition. The dash lit up but when I pressed the starter there was a brief attempt to start and then everything went out.

I thought, OK, charge the battery. But the charger showed that the battery was ok. Even so, I left it on charge for a few hours before trying again.

Turned on the ignition and nothing at all! Not even any lights on the dash. I can see that the battery is still functioning because the clock is working - in the dark.

All suggestions as to what this might be will be gratefully received! A fuse? But which one? Would that take everything out?

Thanks in advance

Michael

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I would start by checking all the fuses first with special attention the the main fuse under the seat and the ignition one next to the glove box. Sounds just like a battery and if it's really dead most chargers won't work because they need to see some sort of voltage to know they are connected to a load.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Like MJR said check the 40 amp main fuse under the seat on the left side of the bike. Check the signal fuse in the fuse panel on the left of the main glove box. Check that the battery cable connections at the battery are tight. Those are the easy quick checks.

If that checks out OK then another thing you can check is to take off the cover under the seat where the tool kit attaches. Inspect the plugs where the small red and black wires coming from the battery plug into the wiring harness. There have been reports of those failing.

If all that checks out OK then take the battery to someone who can load test it to ensure it is good.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice so far. I've checked the battery connections and the starter relay plugs. I'll look at the fuses next. What surprises me, if it is the battery, is the sudden failure so that absolutely nothing lights up. And as I said, the clock is still functioning.
Michael

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Sudden failures of AGM batteries are not that uncommon.

If it's not your battery then a short or loose connection would be the next thing to look for. The most probable one is those plugs under the trunk box cover where the tool kit mounts that I mentioned above. A couple of folks have had the plug on the red positive wire short and melt. That plug provides all the current to your wiring harness. If you lose the connection there you get no current to anything. The only thing that does not get power through that wire is the starter motor. It pulls power from the large red wire going through the solenoid. But the starter relay on the solenoid is triggered with power coming through the smaller wire so you don't get power to the starter either.

You can short across the terminals on the solenoid and see if the starter will crank the engine over. If it does that will tell you the battery has power. It will also tell you that the problem is likely a fuse or a wiring short.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again. Just checked all of the fuses and they are fine. Then I tried turning on again, just in case and I got a glimmer of light on the dash. So I think the battery is the main suspect. I'll leave it on charge over night and try in the morning.
Michael

·
Registered
427 Posts
My AGM failed the exact same way. One quick click and then dark matter. At least I learned how to remove the front leg guard, to check stuff, totally unnecessary but live and learn.

Remove the battery and jump start with another battery. This seems to reset the system. The dead battery is pulling it down.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thanks again. Just checked all of the fuses and they are fine. Then I tried turning on again, just in case and I got a glimmer of light on the dash. So I think the battery is the main suspect. I'll leave it on charge over night and try in the morning.
Michael
Last time I had a AGM battery go dead, it wouldn't recharge. It went from working fine to dead with no warning.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Michael stick a set of jump leads on connected to your car battery (car engine not running) that will be a quick way of fault finding. I reckon your bike battery is toast.:)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Put a meter on the battery and see what the voltage is. It might show 12 volts but see what happens when you hit the start button.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for the comments. Charged all night, turned on, all lit up, all went out! So it is sudden battery death syndrome. Strange that you get no warning though.

Michael

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not so strange in my experience.
$100 from now, you will be as good as new.

"If money can fix it, it is not really a problem"

·
Administrator
18,748 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The battery is not all that's imported on that "Buy American" Harley either. ;)

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts