Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Burger was choosing to cut out last weekend when stopped at traffic lights and roundabouts.
Would restart on the button, but as I got closer to home it was taking longer to restart.
Yesterday (after not using since Sunday) she cut out whilst travelling up a long steep hill following a very slow lorry.
Would not restart......upon returning to my scoot some 10 hours late it started OK, but just 3/4 miles later cut out whilst climbing a further steep hill with a sharp bend in it.

Anybody (Norm?) got any clues as to what this may be due to??

Scooter is still 6 miles from my home (in a friends garden) - am going out to attempt the last few mile in about an hour....

The engine is turning over and I have a spark.......

workmates have suggested float problem in the carb.???

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's a 1999 AN400 btw...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Not much ifno to go on but it sounds like it may be debris in the carb impedding proper gas flow. The oil level is good?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Gary

As we discussed on the telephone a few moments ago...... :wink:

From the symptoms you describe it sounds like fuel starvation and may be crap in the carburettor. However, you say you do not hear any 'clicks' from the fuel pump at all when you make the ignition switch so - your fuel pump must be the prime suspect and should be eliminated first.

The fuel pump is located on the lower right hand side of the bike just about level with the lower and forward end of the fuel tank. You can see it clearly in this Picture from my gallery It looks yellow coloured in this shot - follow the line of the frame tubing and it is sat at the corner of the junction of frame tubing.

The manual says you have to take the rear leg shield off - which is a bit of a swine (thats the fairly major black bit of plastic step thru moulding). I would attempt this initially by taking the lower right leg shield off and then laying the bike down on the lawn - left side down to see if you can do anything with respect to removing /cleaning electical connections - test the the resistance between the pump terminals while you are there - should not exceed 2.5 ohms (or its shagged).

If you cannot access as described above, then you may have to tackle as described in the manual which is both leg shields (left and right) as described in my gallery - then rear leg shield not difficult just time consuming - about 20 minutes lots of bolts screw and plastic pop pins.

I would have called you back but do not have your number. :)

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removed the central radiator cover/panel to gain access to the pump, not alot I can do now untill battery is recharged - flattened it from futile attempts at starting in the past hour.......will report back

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
OK Gary - did you put power on the ignition and get a response from the fuel pump (clicking), before putting the battery on charge?

BTW: May I suggest you let the thread on this same topic in General Discussion - die - this is the right place for it and duplicate threads only serve to confuse.

It may be better if a Moderator just deleted that thread (Bill?).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok - If Bill could delete the duplicate thread that would be good (save me cutting & pasting as well!)

I did listen out for the distinctive "click-click-click" of the fuel pump - and there was none...

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
gary said:
I did listen out for the distinctive "click-click-click" of the fuel pump - and there was none...
OK lets see (hear) what happens when you have a full 12 volts! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, humble pie all round - IT WAS THE BATTERY!!!!!

Amusing conversation with my one & only local bike shop this evening:

Shop Owner:"We spent many hours trying all possibilities( translate as EXPENSIVE!!) then decided to try a new battery.

Me: "But I only just had one fitted (about 5 months ago)

Shop: "Well, Whoever fitted it used the wrong one"

Me: "But it was yourselves!!"

Shop: "Ah, Well we just copied the one already fitted at the time"

Me: "Which was also fitted by yourselves!!"

Shop: "Oh"..........Me thinks lack of room to manouvre so jump in quickly:

Me: "I've still got the invoices at home (as I retain all documentation of this kind)

Shop: ............................Errrr

Me: "So the battery YOU sold & fitted was actually of no use?? What was the bill for the "repair"?

Shop: "Umm, just take it and we'll talk on Sunday"

Ho, hum....Will ride the 30 miles to work and back tomorrow and if all is well offer him the price of the battery - and very little else

Any opinions??????

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
You paid for a battery 5 months ago from them that was wrong or incorrect? Is that right? And that was twice now? If so, sounds like you already paid for the battery to ME. And the labor to install it. ;)
Also sounds like less than what a battery should last. In fact, if pressed, I'd imagine the last labor and battery should be credited to your 'account' (for future work) since not only was it their blunder from the time before but they repeated it and charged you (again) for something you would not have needed.
Being the nice guy I am though (and seeing they are your mechanical solution) I'd offer to toss the old loss if they toss this new loss and call it even-steven as you realize they can't very well stay in business by giving away money. Bad enough they haven't made any on this whole thing.
I'd also leave off the mechanically incompetant issue unless pressed. ;)
Main thing is to get back your scooter as inexpensively as possible and keep the shop door open for business in case you need service. I'm sure they are not real happy about it either and want to keep you as a customer.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Mmmm - but why was it the battery?

I can accept they may have fitted the wrong capacity battery but once on the move the charging circuit should have kept the bike running.

So, my view is you had 2 problems (leaving aside an incompetent mechanic), wrong battery + charging circuit fault (probably the regulator).

If the latter is not elimanated as a fault then you may find yourself with a dead burger sooner than you would have liked!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, agree there Norman. At time I was

a. so happy to get burger back (look at my original posting date!)

b. Kinda glad there was to be either no charge or minimal charge.

However, thinking about it logically now, as you say even if battery was faulty, that would only explain the unwillingness to start - not the cutting out business once started???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts