Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been home a while a couple of weeks ago and needed to move my car. It shares a key ring with my '09 400 keys. Poop...the keys weren't in my pocket and I knew that could only mean one thing. I looked over at the bike and sure enough there were the keys in the ignition, in the "on" position. It was completely dead. Rather than mess with it at the time, I started riding my "spare" bike ('08 650). Now, I finally decide to jump it and take it for a nice spin to recharge the better. It started up fine with my charger/jumper but, ran rough and acted like it wanted to die at idle. I had it on the center stand so I could run it on up a bit and held it at at 1500 or so RPM for a bit. Besides running rough, the gauges were going crazy, blinking on and off and the tach going between 0 and whatever RPM. After about five minutes I tried to idle it down and get it off the center stand and it ended up dying. Finally I put the charger back on, in the "charge" setting and it wasn't drawing any current.

The battery is the original and, I'm thinking it is completely fried and the crazy gauges and rough running were the bike running totally on the alternator. Any thoughts before I pull the battery?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would not try to start the bike with out a good fully charged battery. The battery acts as a buffer to make sure the the electrical system runs smooth. If your old battery discharges as fast as the alternator delivers. than you are running on the alternator and that is bad. You run the risk of damaging some of the electrics in your bike. The ECM does not like the raw voltage that the alternator delivers. Maybe that is why your gages are wacky and the bike runs ruff. The injectors get their instructions from the ECM also. If the new battery doesn't do the trick, then I would be looking at what ever regulates the charging system. Something I should look into.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Scooter_Maniac your charger probably won't charge a completely dead battery, most don't. You probably ruined your battery by leaving it dead so long. If a battery is drained completely and you charge it immediately sometimes it will come back but if it stays completely drained for long it usually kills it. I think you probably need to get a new battery. As for all the other symptoms you described they are all symptoms of trying to run with a dead battery or a loose battery cable. My guess is the battery is shot but if it is just the cable you'll find out when you take the battery out.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We seem to have concensus that the battery is gone. I'll put in a new one by this weekend and cross my fingers. Thanks, all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts