Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Need some opinions?? New to me 09 650, low miles, Installed a new battery 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I did a 2hr run and when I shut down I left the gps and the Sena sender on for apx 3hrs. Found the battery dead when tried to start. Got a jump and everything seems ok. Voltage meter readings are good. Is it possible that the voltage draw of a gps can leave you with a dead battery in only a few hours???

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I've left my Garmin GPS and my GMRS radio on for that long and it did not run the battery down.

Did you lock the forks. If you did then you might have accidentally left the rear parking lights on. If you turn the key to far to the left the tail lights come on as parking lights. Those can run the battery down in just a few hours.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
There a few possibilities here:

1. The underseat light was on.
2. The regulator/rectifier is toast and either not charging the battery or boiling it.
3. The new battery is defective (not unheard of it).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nothing other than gps and sena was on. Bike kept on tender when not on the road. Using a digital multimeter I read apx 14.25when running and about 13.25 when not. Reading 12.8 after lights and ignition on then off. this seems ok to me guess I will have to find someone to loadtest the battery

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Your numbers on the charging system sound OK. Like you say, the next step is to have the battery tested.

If it test out OK and you are still worried about it then it would be time to pull the left rear body work off and test the rectifier/regulator and the no load output of the stator. Both things are easy to test with a multimeter.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The 09 Burgman 400s were recalled for a piece-of-sh!t regulator. Some production batches of the 650s have the same shoddy part.

Mine failed (white 09) while my wife's bike (grey 09) has had no problems. Assuming your new battery is not DOA, I would look at the regulator, although from the sounds of it, it is charging as it is supposed to.

It is also possible that the accessories have not been wired properly. Check out LeDude's fused power distribution block to see the safest way to wire in accessories.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had a new MBTX12AU Motobatt that worked well for a couple of weeks, well possibly half a dozen rides, but wasn't counting to be honest. Then scoot began to experience failing battery. Thought it was likely regulator or stator, so was getting ready to pull LHS side panel off. Another task on the to do list, along with the RHS panel so I can replace the failed seat pneumatic ram (or thingy-ma-jig). Length of wood currently does the task of holding up seat without fanfare at the moment. Pulled the MBTX12U battery out, and thought I'd try a smaller new MBTX9U while I was at it, that I had sitting in the garage as a spare for one of my other bikes. The smaller Motobatt 9U has been running for at least a month without any issue, no dead battery since replacement -so must have been a faulty battery. I attempted to return the larger Motobatt back to the supplier here in China for a refund or replacement, but his attitude is that after nearly 3 months since purchase, is too long so not willing to refund... I stated that these batteries are meant to have a 12 month warranty, and it's not like I can go to an auto-electrician to load test a battery (it's China no such thing... as tradesman), so I worked this out trial and error, hence the delay.

Moral of the story, don't rely on a new Motobatt as being fail safe, and don't believe a __________.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I had a new MBTX12AU Motobatt that worked well for a couple of weeks, well possibly half a dozen rides then scoot began to experience failing battery.

Moral of the story, don't rely on a new Motobatt as being fail safe, and don't believe a __________.
The real moral of the story is: Get a YUASA battery!

·
Registered
426 Posts
The real moral of the story is: Get a YUASA battery!
I've a total of 8 bikes, 5 of them here in China, all of them bar one, fitted with Motobatt's. This one on the AN650K7 is the first one that I've experienced any problems with. I've had Yuasa's before too, and IMO they are no better or worse than the Motobatt's, and have had to replace Yuasa's after only a year or thereabouts - granted could be fakes... regardless - I prefer the versatility of the terminal design on the Motobatt's... YMMV.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Unfortunately OP not say what replacement battery he have problem with is.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
honsfun, as Chérie said you did not say what brand your battery was. Could you tell what brand it is please?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts