Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stupidly must've left my key on after the 1st start up of the year. I went back today, 20 hours later to bring it home and noticed the key was on and I had nothing. I jumped started it off my 4 wheeler, let it run for 10 minutes, drove it 1 miles home, shut it off, and it re-started, a little slow, but it started pretty easy. I have it on a battery tender Jr now and the light has been red so far, about 3 hours. Do you think once charged and road this battery will be ok? Or once you killed it like I did, it's permanently damaged?
Thanks
Mike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't have a lot of info like others may have but I did the same (not 20 hours but...) after I put in on charge I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It'll take more than a few hours to get a full charge with a .75w charger - probably 18-24 hours. The battery may make a more or less full recovery. You might want to get it load tested to make sure its in good health.

·
Super Moderator
18,096 Posts
I think there may have been some damage, but very small.

How old is the battery ?

If it keeps a charge, but seems a little slow, your still OK.

A good all day run, or overnight with a trickle charger, and you should be fine.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Anytime you run a battery all the way down, it shortens the life.
If it is two years old or more, and you get through the good weather, I'd think about replacing it after that. If it's newer, it may go another couple of years.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I did same -- left key on, I think.

Hooked up my battery tender (did not get a red light). Only measured like a volt or so on battery.

It is a 2011 Burgman (likely original battery) that I bought used in Dec 2013. So, battery someplace around 3 yrs old now.

I have used batteries for from 3 to 5 years (repalced one at 5 years because I was nervous about it ebign tha told - but still seemed OK).

I decided to replace this one (did not bother asking for a load test as it did not want to take a charge). Hopefully, new one will last as long as I keep this machine.

In your case - depending on age of the battery and how it acts (seem weak or anything, I would replace it other wise use it). You can measure voltage at end of a ride and after sitting a night or two and get an idea of what is going on. Full charge is near 13v and 12v is very low charge, but voltage does not guarrantee a battery is OK. Only a load test or jsut how well it turns engine over is a good detector.

Remember- you cannot push start these things. Carry a jumper cable with you and hope to find someone.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
A 'battery-tender' will not charge a dead battery.
There has to be a certain minimum voltage for
the 'maintainer' circuit to work. A regular battery
charger can get some charge put into the battery,
then the 'battery tender' will top it off, & maintain
that charge level.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have charged many batteries with a battery tender that at least appeared to be dead. So that must mean that a battery that appears totally dead still has a bit of life, but not enough to show up. I just charged one the last two days that would not light the panel lights but now is starting the Burg like new.

A 'battery-tender' will not charge a dead battery.
There has to be a certain minimum voltage for
the 'maintainer' circuit to work. A regular battery
charger can get some charge put into the battery,
then the 'battery tender' will top it off, & maintain
that charge level.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It started up after running less then then 10 min. Then I had my battery tender jr on it for a while and it was red for maybe a half day? Now it's been green for days. I started it once, no problems, but I hope that it fits my 4 wheeler because that needs a battery and I'll put a new one in the Burg, but either way, I think I'm set. I do not run a stereo, gps, elect clothing or in cold weather either.
Thank you for all the feedback, I feel you guys are accurate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts