Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question has probably been asked before , but here goes, Suppose you go for a ride ,stop somewhere and when you ,go to leave you find your battery is dead , Now i know unlike a motorcycle which you could get a push and let the clutch out ,and away ya go , Is there any way you could start a belt driven scooter, short of hooking jumper cables ? And would Making a small set of jumper cables that could be plugged into the DC outlet in the glove box ,and be connected to a fully charged Battery Be something that would work to get you out of your bind?
Y---block

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
The accessory plug in the glovebox is dead when the key is off...
the key must be ON to receive power.
This is why many riders use the polarized pigtail from a battery
tender as an input for jump starting.
Using a matching polarized plug, & built my own jumper cables
with battery-clip ends from Radio Shack....10 feet long, & rolled
up in a zip-lock baggy, in the trunk.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Idea Duster , And I do already have the Pig tails hooked to the battery , This was a Question i was thinking about , figuring it would be pretty hard to hook regular Jumper cables in that small area , I'm going to take your Idea And Make myself up a set to do that same thing. Thanks again
Y---Block

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
y---block said:
Good Idea Duster , And I do already have the Pig tails hooked to the battery , This was a Question i was thinking about , figuring it would be pretty hard to hook regular Jumper cables in that small area , I'm going to take your Idea And Make myself up a set to do that same thing. Thanks again
Y---Block
You're welcome.....that's why we're here...
to help each other. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
You need to be careful with this approach.
The charging lead pigtail is normally fused near the battery positive terminal and it really depends on which fuse you have selected and fitted. Consider the normal current when charging and you may be tempted to fit a 5, 10 or a 15 amp fuse whereas a ' jump start' from another battery to start the bike will most likely be well in excess of that. I do not know what the current draw would be in the worst case but it is probably around the 30 amp at peak.
I say that to influence your fuse selection if your design intent is to facilitate jump start rather than just charging.

I would also critically examine the charging lead pigtail cables and components - are they rated to carry peak 'jump start' current?

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
NormanB said:
You need to be careful with this approach.
I would also critically examine the charging lead pigtail cables and components - are they rated to carry peak 'jump start' current?
I haven't actually 'jump-started' mine with this setup....
rather.....I left the jumper cables connected for a period of time,
to put a charge back into my battery.
After disconnecting the jumper cable at the polarized plug,
I then tried starting the scooter.....successfully.
Then I retrieved my jumper cable, & was on my way.
Back at home, I connected the Battery Tender & left it on
over night.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
I never leave home without a set of motorcycle jumper cables, since you cannot push start a Burgie.

http://www.nextag.com/motorcycle-jumper ... tores-html

While I have yet to use the cables to get my bike going, I've jumped a couple of cages (one my own Hyundai and one was a 6 cyl Toyota pickup). Worked great. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
What about storing one of those smaller battery jumper units with a handle type under the seat? You know the one that you cange charge up at home?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The simpliest way is to have it covered by insurance. Towing & jumper service is a low cost add on to my motorcycle coverage. You could also sign up for American Motorcycle assn. or AAA.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I usually carry a small set of jumper cables in a very small plastic bag that they came in, along with a mushroom tire repair kit. I figure my 30 mile commute is far enough away that I don't want to be stranded away from home for one of those.

Chris

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
y---block said:
Now i know unlike a motorcycle which you could get a push and let the clutch out ,and away ya go.
Even many newer bikes with a conventional clutch cannot be push started any more. You must have battery power to the ECM and Fuel injection systems before they will start. We found this out when we tried to push start a newer BMW that had a dead battery.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What about storing one of those smaller battery jumper units with a handle type under the seat? You know the one that you cange charge up at home?
I was on a ride and stopped for a few minutes to check a map. When I tried to restart all I could get was a click. The little emergency battery pack clipped onto the battery and it started just fine. I'm a believer in carrying one now.

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
On the (ancient) topic...
Was perusing for a new microstart and found this on their site (not usually the cheapest place to buy their stuff, but comprehensive).

Getting the clamps on the burger was never that hard, & not sure how that'd clip in, but that is kinda nifty. Made something along those line back inna day in MN for tough to reach batteries
(I made a few bucks jumping newer cars their first winter freeze...esp Hondas that came with a lame battery during the era.)

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
I got this for $17 with Amazon Coupon ...can’t say that it works jumping yet but does hold a charge and will power my phone for a day.

Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal:
$25.53
Shipping & Handling:
$0.00
Your Coupon Savings:
-$10.00

Total before tax:
$15.53
Estimated tax to be collected:
$1.28

Grand Total:
$16.81

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
Made of pure unobtanium.

I'll also note that I had and returned couple generic micro jumpers like this before I got my current, & still functional Microstart XP3.
Neither worked or charged well. Problem is that these are LiIon batteries, & if they sit charged/discharging for more than a couple months they decay badly.
Couple that with an item made to a price point which shifts QC to their customer service desk & the customer, & I'm a bit leery of generics for something that I'll need to bail my butt out with in the middle of nowhere at some point.
My two bits anyway.

I got this for $17 with Amazon Coupon ...can’t say that it works jumping yet but does hold a charge and will power my phone for a day.

Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal:
$25.53
Shipping & Handling:
$0.00
Your Coupon Savings:
-$10.00

Total before tax:
$15.53
Estimated tax to be collected:
$1.28

Grand Total:
$16.81

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Understood, Sounds like I need to pack my home made m/c jumper cables too. I have been using the battery pack to charge my phone once a month just to keep it active and it has been working as expected . I’ll haven’t need to jump the Burg yet but at that price point I just had to bite. When my AAA runs out I’m switching to AMA Roadside but hope I won’t call em for a jump.

Just charged cell phone from 11% to 100% in 3+ hours.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
A simple solution to getting jumper cables onto the battery terminals is connect the negative to the area where the helmet lock is LH side under the seat and use a screwdriver onto the positive terminal and connect the positive clamp to the screwdriver shaft

1 - 19 of 19 Posts